• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Installing a hard drive *help me!!!* Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   anime21 

• *smack*
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:10 AM

Can someone tell me how to install a hard drive? I need some steps so that I can do my project with all my group members. Please reply ASAP!!!!

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:22 AM

Is it an ATA/EIDE or SCSI drive? I only know how to install IDE drives, but I believe that the procedure isn't much different than the SCSI version.

First, your computer should be off and unplugged, of course. Then you should mount the drive in your computer's case, and make sure the power/data cables can reach with sufficient slack. Connect the power cable and the data ribbon, and what you do next depends on what the hard drive's for. If it's a secondary drive (you still have your old one), then boot up your computer and you have to format it through Windows or another disk formatting program. If it's your primary disk, then ask Unyo cause you have to do BIOS stuff and install the OS I think.

#3 User is offline   anime21 

• *smack*
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:27 AM

Thanks alot. :D That helps out alot. Now to wait for Unyo.

#4 User is offline   Unyo-kun 

• Wind Tranqulity Wavemaster (NPC)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:46 AM

well if its your primary drive then you need an OS install disk, and most of the time you dont have to mess with the bios cuz most automatically put the cdrom drive at a higher priority then the hard drive. then you just stick in the disk and restart, and it should boot off the install disk. if that doesnt work, right after you restart, press the key to enter the bios setup (if you cant read that quick just mash the esc and all the f keys XD) and go to boot device prioritys or boot order or something of the like and put the cd rom at the top of the list

lol i hope i wasnt too late O.o

^ and yea, the sata and pata isnt too hard. just stick in the power and the data cord (the sata cord is smexy and cool :3 pata is yucky) and then mount it. with screws. be careful with the screws lol ><;;; they like to fall into the smallest cracks of your motherboard alot ><

This post has been edited by Unyo-kun: 15 November 2005 - 11:48 AM

#5 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:57 AM

^ Yeah, I've had experience with that too. Either they fall into the cracks in the case, or they like to run away on the floor. ><;;

Good luck with the installation, let us know how it went!

#6 User is offline   anime21 

• *smack*
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:02 AM

Can you guys help me out, again? Can I have a few pictures? I need a few pictures with labels so we know what we are touching.

#7 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:19 AM

I'll be able to take some pics hopefully when I get back home, but that'll be in around two hours. ^^;;

The best thing to do if you don't know exactly what to do, is no touchy. :P Play it safe.

#8 User is offline   anime21 

• *smack*
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:47 AM

Thanks. Thank you very much!!! *huggles* *bows down to Shonen-Sama statue*

#9 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:25 PM

Okay, here's my example. The picture quality isn't too awesome, and for this example I used my external enclosure... the basic procedure is the same, just you gotta do the hardware stuff inside the computer. I used a PATA/EIDE type drive, the most common other than SCSI (and the basic procedure is the same with a SCSI drive anyway).

Step 1

Posted Image
Here's the hard drive. Make sure it's a happy hard drive, because grumpy hard drives will give you problems after installation.

Posted Image
Make sure all the pins are straight and shiny, bent pins will make the hard drive grumpy. If all's good, then you can move on!

Step 2

Posted Image
Make sure you have the cables pictured above. Since mine is an external enclosure, the cables are short. Yours should be longer, and attached to the psu (power supply unit, the molex plug with red/black/yellow wires) and the motherboard (EIDE connector, gray/yellow/whatever colored ribbon cable).

Posted Image
If it does, then you'll want to slide the hard drive into the bay and make sure they reach. (I can't do that, the enclosure is obviously the correct distance from the wires.) If they do, then you can remove the hard drive and connect it.

Step 3

Posted Image
Insert the EIDE connector. Make sure you pay attention to the side that has the notch (hard drive side) and the nub (plug side). Be aware that sometimes there's a lot of resistance when pushing in the plug (certain types of hard drives/cables have a snug fit), but don't force it. If it's not going in, make sure there's no foreign objects in the socket on the hard drive, and that none of the pins are bent.

Posted Image
Repeat the procedure with the molex plug for the power. This time, pay attention to the tapered end of the plug (with the tapered side up, the wires are in the order YBBR), and insert it in the correct way to the hard drive.

Step 4

Posted Image
Screw the hard drive into the bay, the hard drive should've come packaged with four (or more) mounting screws. If not, then you should be able to recycle the ones off the old drive. This is just like doing lug nuts on a car, you screw in opposite sides, and do not fully tighten the screws until every screw is in. Start at one corner, then jump across to the one on the opposite corner. Then do the same for the other two holes. When the screws are all in, tighten them in the same order. This is a slightly extreme measure to prevent misalignment/offcentering/misleveling (it just makes the drive sit at a uniform level), but will make the drive a bit happier. Happy drives make the least noise possible, and last longer. (This picture doesn't show much other than a screwdriver and some screws, but it's not too hard.)

Hope that helps, sorry bout the large size of the pics cause I couldn't be bothered to resize them. :P If I made an error in instruction Unyo, please correct.

This post has been edited by Shonen: 17 November 2005 - 02:29 PM

#10 User is offline   anime21 

• *smack*
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:07 AM

Awsome!! Thanks!!! *Cries* it helps out a whole lot!... now i hope that is the same one that we are supposed to learn to insert. ^^;; Thank you so much for you help though Shonen-Sama!!! *bows down*

#11 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 18 November 2005 - 08:03 AM

Oops, I forgot one thing. You need to set the jumper for the appropriate setting. If it's the primary drive, then set the jumper on 'master', and 'slave' if it's the secondary (? Unyo?). The pins for the jumper is between the EIDE and power sockets, it's barely visible in the second picture. The master/slave varies from hard drive to hard drive, in my experience. Shouldn't be too hard, since there's usually a diagram on the hard drive itself.

Note though, you must do this because new hard drives usually come with the jumper on 'Cable Select'.

#12 User is offline   Unyo-kun 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:11 PM

yea u gots it shonen. slave = on the same cord as another drive. no two master drives on the same cord, because some ide cables have two connectors that can connect to hd's (3 connectors in all) so one needs to be a master drive and one needs to be a slave. but guess what? sata solves all these programs and its smexy and cool and keeps your pc fans happy :3 pata sux XD. (btw, sata = serial ata cord = smexy and cool cord and connector. skinny and lets in air bettah. pata = parallel ata = fat and wide and fugly and grey and makes unyo's computer grouchy XD + u hafta deal with jumpers and making sure u dont bend pins) the power cords (the red black black yellow cord) can be a pain in the ass. seriously they suck. *rubs fingers* you hafta force em in and out of some cd drives and hd's so be careful, because although its hard to put in (and take out....owwwwie) u dont wanna damage stuffs. I hafta say hds are pretty durable though...

btw... T.T i want digi cam ><;;; they teh smexy.

This post has been edited by Unyo-kun: 01 December 2005 - 11:16 PM

#13 User is offline   anime21 

• *smack*
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:31 AM

Omg!! I think that is good for one of th apages!!! Ok. So If I have it straight, Sata is much better then Pata for assembly reasons and a nice size??

This post has been edited by anime21: 02 December 2005 - 01:31 AM

#14 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:12 AM

Yeah. Serial ATA (SATA) has a single, skinny-ish cord with a plug on the end. Parallel ATA (PATA) has the fugly wide ass ribbon cable that goes into the hugeangous pin array (which is easily bent/broken/embedded in fingers). >_<;;

...Unyo, do you run SCSI drives? My laptop runs SCSI but since I can't take that apart I don't know how they work. XD

#15 User is offline   Unyo-kun 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:47 PM

hahaha...hahahaahaa XD omg that made me laugh XD yea too true

and im not too familiar with scsi, i think cd drives have it and i really havent touched a scsi board since the days of my really old clunky scanner (may it rest in piece) i remeber it had something to do with setting the jumpers on the device for the scsi id and that was a pain >< (during the days of my old compy and when i had to use a command line to back up all my files off my hard drive)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users