• You cannot reply to this topic

The Truth About Laptop OEM's! read! Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:28 PM

I found this awhile ago but forgot to post it. This is an informative read for anyone in the notebook computer market.

Virtually none of the "Name" brands manufacture their own laptops, with about the only exceptions being Asus, MSI and Lenovo.

Instead, Multi-National Brands (MNB) like DELL, Toshiba, HP, Compaq, Acer and Sony buy their laptops pre-built from what is called an Original Design Manufacturer (ODM). Some of the largest ODMs are Quanta, Compal, Clevo, Wistron, Arima, and Inventec...most of these names are unknown by most laptop users.

The ODM designs the shell and motherboard, and then assembles them with the screen, keyboard, processor, memory, DVDRW and Hard Drive, battery, wireless and Bluetooth card, and then installs the Microsoft Operating System to produce the final laptop that is then labeled and sold to the MNBs (who are sometimes erroneously called OEMs...erroneously because they rarely if ever touch the laptop until after it is completely built, labeled and boxed).

The MNB only advertises, sells and supports (usually outsourcing support to foreign companies) their "branded" laptop, and when warranty repair is required they will usually send it back to the ODM or some other 3rd party repair center instead of doing the warranty work themselves. They never built it, and they are not really equipped to do repairs.

Source and full article here: http://powernotebooks.com/articles/index.p...lnews&id=17

#2 User is offline   katsu 

• twelveAM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:36 PM

So basically, when buying a laptop of those brands, it's what you want your laptop to look like then?

#3 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:27 AM

yep :( I've heard Car dealers, shoes, and other products do the same thing. But with the new Vista out, doesn't matter what Windows Comp you get it is a bad deal. Leopard isn't all that great either. with graphical errors and other quirks in it, plus the price 0.0 . it makes gOS look like an awesome OS :D

But yea, I never knew of the companies who did it, but i thought just about all of them did it. And i always thought that E-machines got all the rejects and sold them for less :P

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

So basically, when buying a laptop of those brands, it's what you want your laptop to look like then?

Yes, pretty much the cosmetics, although some of them you pay for the 'brand' name as well (/koffkoffalienwarekoff)

yep :( I've heard Car dealers, shoes, and other products do the same thing. But with the new Vista out, doesn't matter what Windows Comp you get it is a bad deal. Leopard isn't all that great either. with graphical errors and other quirks in it, plus the price 0.0 . it makes gOS look like an awesome OS :D

But yea, I never knew of the companies who did it, but i thought just about all of them did it. And i always thought that E-machines got all the rejects and sold them for less :P

I'm not entirely familiar with car dealers doing this, but I do know stuff about rebadging (ie. the mid-2000's Pontiac GTO is actually a Holden Monaro) and grey imports (ie. 90's Eagle Talon vs. Mitsubishi Eclipse). Under the skin however, there's a lot of sharing going on...especially between marques that are owned by the same company (Mazda+Ford, Mercedes+Chrysler, Ferrari+Maserati+Fiat, Audi+Volkswagen+Lamborghini, etc.) so what you're paying for is the brand and to a certain point, the looks.

lololol @ emachines, I feel sorry for whoever has one...

#5 User is offline   katsu 

• twelveAM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:45 PM

I've been wondering, but doesn't the 'e' in acer, look like the 'e' from emachines?

#6 User is offline   Enoesiw 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:29 PM

I remember seeing an Asus laptop being designed as a Lamborghini... That thing was sick! You don't get that kind of sexy aesthetics from the ODMs, unless you're a WoW freak.

#7 User is offline   djSL 

• YE~yE~YEAAA~~~
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

hoooo dam. that thing is fine. Mainly for bragging rights i would think. Also if i saw someone with that they better be driving a dam lamborghini. :)

I forget which issue it was but i was reading NewsWeek and their was an article about that. Basically proclaimed dell as a sham. WOO! Its sad that a company that big refuses to manufacture in house. It would more than likely boost consumer faith, but hey who needs that these days right?

#8 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:33 AM

I've been wondering, but doesn't the 'e' in acer, look like the 'e' from emachines?

May be unrelated, but Acer does own eMachines.

Acer is more famous for their Ferrari laptop though. It is true that Dell, HP or whatever will probably never do something like that. Having said that, however, I saw some newer model HP's today and they were pretty nice. The Dells just update their old designs with touches here and there, nothing too exciting. I know an Inspiron when I see one.

#9 User is offline   Enoesiw 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:36 AM

View PostVejida, on Jul 31 2008, 07:27 AM, said:

...But with the new Vista out, doesn't matter what Windows Comp you get it is a bad deal...

Actually, I hear with the new Core i7 processor, Vista 64-bit runs like a champ. This leads me to believe that Vista was really just ahead of it's time. (That and all OS's are buggy when first released) But yeah, you can find decently powered Core i7 rigs for under 1 grand minus shipping. Not too shabby, if you ask me.

#10 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:38 AM

gotta remember enoesiw, i did post that back in 2008 when vista was still crap.

But rly vista still isn't all that great. visually, it is nice, but not something I want in place of power. it hogs a lot of processing power, and it still freezes, given certain circumstances.

Vista is still a flop in my opinion, which is why they are probably trying to get windows 7 out. But I hope they take their time. I heard good news about windows 7, and I hope it does become a good OS.

#11 User is offline   Enoesiw 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

Hmm yeah, it was back in 08, but the i7 was released not too long after (November/December). Vista did have some annoying qualities to it, so much so that many windows users (who had the choice) stuck with XP.

From what I hear, Windows7 is supposed to be Vista without all the kinks (and a little extra). I downloaded the Beta, but so far haven't installed it because if I lose my only computer I'm f**ked.

On another note, Core i7 laptops are going to be released around this May from Eurocom (Canadian based desktop-replacement company). This baby will pack quite a punch but at a severe cost: with a 12-cell lithium-ion battery, the battery life will be one hour.

#12 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:37 AM

I'm just wondering when they'll bring out lipo batteries instead of just lions...sure it costs more and it's more dangerous, but not at a different league than lions. Plus, with lipo packs, the shape of the battery won't be dictated as much by the required shape of the cells...because there isn't really any. On top of that, lipo actually likes running hot, although it won't like when it's plugged in all the time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users