• You cannot reply to this topic

[mod] Tx LED modifications LED swaps, backlighting

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

Got this question on Youtube about my backlighting projects for my radios. I figured I'd make a dedicated topic to link to people with similar questions. I've done LED mods for several radios so far:

- Airtronics MX-3FHSS (backlight)
- Futaba 2PH (swap)
- Futaba 3PM-X (backlight/swap)
- Futaba 3PM FHSS (backlight/swap)
- Tower Hobbies 224 (swap)

Posted Image
the 3PM series has the failsafe/active LEDs on the backside shown here

Unfortunately I only photodoc'd my first attempt, with the MX-3. The gist of the backlighting procedure is the same: find the wire off the switch that carries positive voltage when the radio is on, find a ground point close to where you want the LEDs to go, and then hotglue the LEDs in place before you solder it all up. Don't forget current limiting resistors in the correct value for your application.

Posted Image
my radio before the procedure

Posted Image
pulling off the antenna

Posted Image
screws come out

Posted Image
motherboard comes out with varying degrees of difficulty (and additional screws) based on the particular radio model you've got. careful not to touch the LCD and leave internal fingerprints.

Posted Image
the two wires on the left side of the photo are straight from the battery tray.

Posted Image
hotglue in LEDs, solder them up with a resistor. I desoldered the LCD so I could see exactly how much space I had when the motherboard is in place. I used five LEDs in parallel...not the most efficient solution, but most definitely the easiest to wire. Alligator clips are to test my config.

Posted Image
current limiting resistors. they will more than likely be different on your setup unless you use the exact same LED configuration I did.

Posted Image
reassembling the radio's internals

Posted Image
tapping my own points for LED power. Red wire goes straight to the switch, black is another ground point.

Posted Image
thankfully, Airtronics was nice enough to silkscreen 'pinch points' on the PCB, ie. where supports on the shell will be resting when it's put back together. Make sure you keep stuff away from the dots, so you don't pinch any wires.

Posted Image
radio back together, time to test

Posted Image
LED backlight when the radio is turned on

Posted Image
it bleeds badly, but that's cause there's LEDs only on one side. if you're picky, you can put an array on both sides but only one side is needed to see in the dark.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users