Digital.Complex: [build] Red Hat E-Revo - Digital.Complex

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[build] Red Hat E-Revo

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

  • D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 2,521
  • Joined: 18-October 05

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

So one of my friends recently picked up a brand new E-Revo Brushless Edition. We set it up this Friday and spent an entire weekend bashing around.

Posted Image
Got the box in the mail

Posted Image
Red Hat Revo

Posted Image
cracking open the box

Posted Image
very nicely packed

Posted Image
okay, enough with the plastic

Posted Image
the updated guts for the truck. It comes with the new TQi radio, that has telemetry and all sorts of things built in.

Posted Image
the Mamba Monster

Posted Image
next to my ERBE

Posted Image
unfortunately, the night we unboxed the new E-Revo, the lipos had not yet come in from Hobbyking so we test drove it with the 7-cell NiMHs. Disappointing performance, but Brad was happy regardless.

Posted Image
closeup of the black Traxxas-OEM 1515

Posted Image
using the iOS app for realtime telemetry. It's pretty nifty, I must say.

Posted Image
old vs new

Posted Image
and they can both pick on the little guy at the same time
0

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

  • D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 2,521
  • Joined: 18-October 05

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

After a couple of weeks of bashing around, things have begun to need replacement on the RHER. Unfortunately, most of these things have been ESC's lol. Both the stock Mamba Monster and my old one have stopped working or caught fire, respectively. I didn't get photos of the one that came with the truck since it doesn't look any different, but I did get some of the one that exploded.

Posted Image
not too suspicious at first glance, minus the desoldered negative battery wire

Posted Image
uh oh

Posted Image
some serious heat inside

Posted Image
the status LEDs are long gone

Posted Image
the next day, I was still amazed

Posted Image
yeesh

Posted Image
now onto the gorn that happened inside

Posted Image
smells like how it looks

Posted Image
all of the copper traces had their mask burned off

Posted Image
copper lifing off everywhere

Posted Image
forgot to take a photo of the MM in the chassis, but there are burn marks everywhere

Posted Image
closeup

Posted Image
inside of the body got scorched too

...and so, at this point in the story, Brad asks me what the hell is going on and why he's blowing so many ESC's. I honestly tell him I don't know, and that possibly by running it at 6s he's getting a little close to the voltage threshold and possibly he's just being unlucky. (My old MM that caught fire had only been used on 4s until just recently.)

"What would you do?" he asks. "I just want this thing to run, and not blow up every time I play with it."

"Well..." I say.

Posted Image
a week later, this shows up in the mail

Posted Image
oh yes.

Posted Image
I had run out of 6.5mm bullets so we reused the ones from the blown ESC. Lots and lots of solder

Posted Image
plexiglas mounting plate for maximum surface area that the doublestick tape we used can adhere to.

I forgot to take photos of the truck with everything mounted up, but thanks to the plate I didn't have to cut into his chassis' battery vents like how I had to do with mine.
0

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

  • D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 2,521
  • Joined: 18-October 05

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image
RHER keeps blowing its tires

Posted Image
back in the garage, with another midnight wrench session

Posted Image
the tire tore all the way around right near the bead glue joint

Posted Image
there was some intermittent grinding coming from the diff when he first got the truck, and it sort of went away and we didn't think much of it. However, when we broke down the chassis to put thicker oil in the diffs, I noticed this bit of copper stuck in the rear ring gear. Took some time with a flathead screwdriver to scrape off, and now the diff is back to normal with 500k weight oil in it.

Posted Image
Brad being a cyclops
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users