• You cannot reply to this topic

6.6 magnitude earthquake Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   katsu 

• twelveAM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

We just had a 6.6 magnitude earthquake. Hilo wasn't too bad [we lucked out] but everywhere else seems like got owned. Oahu's pretty bad too. Hopefully Sho, Chu, Viper, Sayo and everybody else there is okay.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:17 AM

Yeah, I talked with Nako back home and she said Hilo was relatively well off. Here in Manoa, we didn't get power back until 11:07pm...

Crazy, crazy day. Poor Kona, they pretty much got fucked up. Our governor was there too, lol. Was listening to KSSK interview her on the radio, she said her hueg crt tv got flung off the desk...twice.

We made headlines on ALL major news networks, here's the direct links to them:
http://www.cnn.com/2...uake/index.html
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15278030/
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H...-10-15-19-52-42
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/earth...015134109990001 (gheyOL sucks for misspelling Kailua-Kona, rofl)

If you really, really wanna read more about it, here's the Google News directory listing.
http://news.google.com/?ncl=http://seattle....html&hl=en

Crazy stuff. Vipah came to my room at 9am, and woke me up so we could listen to the radio inside his Camry for updates on the situation.

(Topic on IDWF here: http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=25...st&p=687422 )

#3 User is offline   marmaldegirl16 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

I was listening to the radio this morning while getting ready for school when I heard about it and I honestly started freaking out. I was hoping everyone was ok so was Emma-chan when I told her about it today. I was about to call Sho, or Sayo at like 6am my time (midnight HI time) but figured they were asleep or whatnot. Glad to hear you guys didn't get it TOO bad though!

#4 User is offline   Sayonara 

• Puella Magi Sayo Dokidoki-da
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

Dude, being on the third floor was nuts because the whole room swayed left and right, almost causing my bookshelf to fall on top of me. Being on the 3rd floor is nothing compared to my other friends, some who lived 12+ floors. I think out of the whole apartment complex, my floor had ceiling cracks and being that we're the top floor, we got leaks. Hopefully it'll be repaired soon enough. >.<

For me, I didn't get power til late...being at someone else's place, I didn't know the exact time my place got power but most likely between 11 and 12 nighttime.

I talked to my friends on Guam and they told me that the quake made front page news on our newspaper (I'm a bit shocked and please because of it <.< >.>). Either that they were joking with me because I assume it would be a couple pages in.

Edit: the page is a broken link now so I can't put the link in.

Residents confirm families' safety in Hawaii
Earthquake, aftershocks rock the Aloha state
By David V. Crisostomo
Pacific Daily News
[email protected]
and Dan Nakaso

Guam residents were relieved yesterday after confirming their family and friends in Hawaii were safe following a 6.6-magnitude earthquake that shook homes and took out power across the state early Sunday in Hawaii.
The earthquake centered on the Kona side of the Big Island -- the largest to rattle the state in 23 years -- and a 5.8-magnitude quake that followed disrupted air traffic on all major islands yesterday, sent boulders crashing onto Big Island highways and knocked out power throughout most of the state.
No fatalities or major injuries were reported.
By 10 p.m., Hawaii time, a slight majority of Hawaiian Electric Co. Inc.'s 291,000 customers -- 157,000 -- had power restored.
But Honolulu Board of Water Supply officials urged their customers to continue conserving water through this morning to ease the burden on the electricity-reliant system.
Several flights out of Maui, the Big Island and Oahu were disrupted or canceled. Thousands of passengers stood in long lines because some security checkpoints lacked power and Honolulu International Airport's agricultural inspection system suddenly had to rely on dogs.
Beth Dominguez of Tamuning spent three hours yesterday frantically trying to reach her daughter, Susan, and her family who live in Waipahu in Oahu. Landline calls to Hawaii were possible, but difficult after the quakes.
"I finally got through on her cell phone. I just kept calling," Dominguez said. "No one was hurt. The power is out still, but thank God no one was hurt."
Former Guam residents living in Hawaii recalled the experience.
Rusmala Celes Cruz, a former Guam resident, now of Kaimuki, Honolulu, said she was half asleep when the tremor hit. Cruz is the sister of PDN Executive Editor Rindraty Celes Limtiaco.
"I could feel the swaying and then I heard the rumbling. I think that's when I realized it was an earthquake because the rumbling got louder," Cruz said. "There was the initial panic, I grabbed my baby and tried to head for somewhere safe."
Cruz said about 10 minutes after the initial quake, before she found out what had happened, the power to her condominium went out.
"It's just funny because after the power went out, I realized we had no candles, we didn't have batteries for our radio so we didn't know what was going on," she said. "Thank goodness for our cell phones, we had family calling us and let us know that it was a quake and that power was out all over the island."
Walking down six floors, she and her family went out in search of provisions -- items she said were considered must-haves in Guam.
"We just wanted to make sure we got some candles and batteries, and a little portable grill," she said, "but not even the hardware stores were open."
Eventually, they found a little supermarket that apparently had a generator since the electronic cash registers were working and the store had some light.
"They were letting people in, a little at a time -- I guess for safety -- but we didn't have to wait long in line," Cruz said. "We picked up some supplies and then climbed up six flights of stairs to get back to our condominium."
Cruz said she didn't notice much damage in the Honolulu area, "just businesses that lost a lot of money because they had to close because they had no power."
Cruz said power was restored to her building at about 7 p.m., Hawaii time, and notes that her building never lost water.
Pacific Daily News Assistant Lifestyle Oyaol Ngirairikl contributed to this report.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users