Digital.Complex: Tactical projects - Digital.Complex

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tactical projects Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

  • D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 2,514
  • Joined: 18-October 05

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:43 AM

First new thread of the new year. This will chronicle any airsoft-related projects, whether it be repair or upgrade.

Let's kick it off with the repair of a green dot sight that came from ebay with the switch nub snapped off in the foam during shipping.

Posted Image
Here it is as it came out of the box, the switch nub had broken off probably in transit and was stuck in the foam.

Posted Image
Unscrewed the top half from the bottom, apparently in order to change the battery you probably have to re-zero the sight afterwards.

Posted Image
The stock switch is a three-position SPDT sunk in some kind of silicone sealant. I attempted to dig it out of the metal housing as best I could indoors

Posted Image
Trying to remove more of the silicone revealed that there is a PCB underneath that the switch is soldered to

Posted Image
Still lots of that black silicone gunk stuck to it but I'm trying to free it from the wires

Posted Image
Got it clean enough to see the traces, and thus can see what the circuit design is. Brightest setting has the switch be a direct passthrough, while dim setting has it go through a 20K resistor first.

Posted Image
Soldering up a simple 2-position SPDT for a simple power switch. I am not intending on using this in any serious capacity, so a simple on-off green dot will be sufficient.

Another thing to comment on is how cheaply this is made, the battery is physically smashed in order to make contact, the only spring loaded contact is for the + terminal going from one PCB to another. The contact on the opposite half is glued to the housing, which came off when I tried to strip the wire attached to it.

I would not recommend this for any actual firearm usage, and frankly I am in awe that this design was even approved and works at all with this level of parts quality and craftsmanship.

Posted Image
Sunk the switch in hot glue to test the operation. It works, surprisingly, as this switch has been sitting in a box outside ever since I finished high school 14 years ago. I sunk more hotglue into the recess afterwards to assist with strain relief

Posted Image
Front view of the green dot sight. There is no evidence of modification looking from the front, and thankfully the cover still fits post-mod

Posted Image
Looking from the back, the switch I replaced it with is slightly taller by a mm or so and as such the halves don't fit perfectly anymore, but that can be compensated for when zeroing the sight

Posted Image
Green dot works now. A bit bright for nighttime use, but I have no intention of using it at night anyway.

The seller has chosen to send me another unit to replace the defective one, so now I have two other green dot sights to play with.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users