Digital.Complex: College - Digital.Complex

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

College Talk about college; how was it, how is it, looking forward to it Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   zetsumei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

I guess since graduation is comin closer for me that i wanted to hear about everyone's thoughts on college. I am currently taking calc at university of hawaii at hilo and ive been accepted into uhh for fall semester. I have also been accepted into Kettering University up in Flint, MI for their spring semester(i missed the deadline for fall semester so i applied for spring lol). So far ive been enjoyin the college atmosphere and im lookin forward to uhh. Kettering is a little bit scarier bcuz its all the way in Flint, MI, btw Flint is the 6th most dangerous city in american according to the 2008 list of most dangerous cities. I want to go to Kettering bcuz it has a really good Mechanical Engineering program.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

UH Manoa has a pretty good ME program too, might wanna check them out if you don't like it on the mainland.

That said, I've grown fed up with the UH Manoa administration and students...it's just not as friendly there as it is here. UHH is so cruise and laid back (not saying the classes are any easier) while at Manoa, I felt that I never had enough time to do anything. Hilo is also a much nicer (smaller, safer) place as well, which is good for people not quite in touch with the real world yet. (We still have hippies tho, watch out for them! They might think you're bad for eating meat or taking showers)

It's all up to personal preference though. I don't like the city lifestyle...late nights, impersonal relationships, waiting for transportation, etc. and the fact that there are so many damn people everywhere. You may feel differently though, some people thrive under those circumstances. Being brought up in Hilo though, the transition is difficult no matter how much you're a city boy at heart. Expect to be disoriented and/or lost for a couple months once you get up there, visiting Honolulu and living in Honolulu are two different things.

#3 User is offline   Sayonara 

• Puella Magi Sayo Dokidoki-da
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:55 AM

Being a community college graduating into the main university, I'd have to say it was a huge change. The community college (Kapiolani) is pretty small and probably one of the prettiest campus' I've ever seen. I grew to like the small atmosphere and the classes; I honestly think that community colleges have gems of professors, yet a majority ignore CC in favor of big name universities.

That being said~ I'm now at UHM, and I gotta tell you....I don't like it but it doesn't mean I hate it. I missed the small, laid back atmosphere that the CC offered compared to UHM hustle and bustle. The university campus is huge; I'm still getting used to it and I admit that I would get lost several times. It's more fast paced there because not everyone is in the age level of 18-21 but also of higher ages so the maturity levels differ greatly as well.

#4 User is offline   marmaldegirl16 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:57 AM

I haven't been on here in awhile but this is a topic I can reply to so yea. I was planning to go to UH Manoa for a long time but difficulties led me to stay local at a community college. I personally love it. It's a lot like high school but the classes are a lot more fun and the random crap that happens is really awesome. My school gets really into the events it puts on like a couple weeks ago we had a Sadie's 80s dance which was really really cool. My suggestion is that wherever you go, look foreward to it and don't think of it as "oh great, more school." If you go into it with a positive attitude, your overall experience will be that much better.

On a side note, if you're going to Flint, MI in the spring...take warm clothes...a heavy coat will most likely be needed. They get pretty bad winters if I remember correctly. :D

#5 User is offline   zetsumei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

o yeah lol update on that, for some weird reason Kettering accepted me earlier(not complaining) so i'm actually goin up around october-ish so its gonna b a whole lot colder T.T 4 terms w/ 1 week in between terms, 3 weeks for winter, and 2 weeks for summer break(or somethin like that) hopefully i can come bak durin winter and summer but idk how long ill b able to do that

#6 User is offline   Enoesiw 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

View Postzetsumei, on Mar 11 2009, 08:14 PM, said:

o yeah lol update on that, for some weird reason Kettering accepted me earlier(not complaining) so i'm actually goin up around october-ish so its gonna b a whole lot colder T.T 4 terms w/ 1 week in between terms, 3 weeks for winter, and 2 weeks for summer break(or somethin like that) hopefully i can come bak durin winter and summer but idk how long ill b able to do that

Kettering has a really weird school plan because it is a Co-op school. What they do is condense 1 semester into 1 quarter and split it up into semesters. For one semester you'll take one semester of courses but you'll finish in one quarter and then for the second quarter you'll get an internship with a company during which they'll grade you. If you fail the internship you don't graduate. They have two terms as well, so while half the people are doing an internship the other half will be studying. When the quarter finishes, they switch. You might want to check out if they're expecting you to do an internship for the july-october part. Or whatever it is. They start super early. Talk to Tim Lichty (Zach's bro) if you want to learn more, he's up there right now.

Anyway, I went from UHH to UHM. The difference is crazy. Like sho said, UHH is really laid back and friendly. They don't have their heads stuck up their @sses. Also Hilo has a really nice campus, too, probably even more so than KCC. A big reason why people go to Universities over CCs is prestige, but also because Universities offer grad programs as well as a larger variety of programs in general. A good thing to keep in mind is a lot of CCs offer specialized classes that Universities might not have. I know at HCC they offered a Maya course that UHH didn't have (not sure about UHM). As a result if you're looking for a specific skill, you might be better suited at a CC, or you could just hit up the CC for that specific class for fun. I personally would have preferred UHH to UHM but alas, UHH doesn't have an ME degree (although the are offering statics in the fall and dynamics in the spring so you can get the first two years out of the way at Hilo if you wanted to).

Placement is a huge factor, too. Like Sho said, at UHM it feels like you don't have any time to do anything because that's the city life. It's super fast-paced. When I went back to Hilo for winter break it felt like everything slowed down. The atmosphere is different. Keep that in mind.

I like college. There's a lot more freedom and responsibility. You can do what you want but you're gonna be completely responsible for them.

I read somewhere that UHM has one of the top ranked Engineering programs in the US. Not sure if that's true, but I wouldn't doubt it. Just something to look into.

#7 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

I'd just like to say a belated congratulations to all of the graduates of c/o 2009! Our very own zetsumei, katsu, gba_fan and RUKIA SAMURAI had their commencement ceremony on June 6th. Best of luck in the upcoming year to all of you!

#8 User is offline   marmaldegirl16 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:34 AM

I agree with Sho. Congrats to all that graduated this year and good luck this coming year, I hope you have a little fun with it ^.^

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users