• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ideas Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Unyo-kun 

• Wind Tranqulity Wavemaster (NPC)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:54 PM

Okay. I'm lost. We neeeeed ideas for the site, in general. What do we want DC to be? I'm pinning this. I'm desperate for good ideas so that we can put this site to use.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:00 PM

Well, we originally had the links library idea going, but that sorta got stopped. Kazu wants to make a heavy rp-based forum...while I"m not against it, I think that should wait until we have the bigger, more important things up.

I think something that would be cool would to have like a DeviantArt like setup, but instead of rating artwork we rate people's favorite links. This is only for the link library idea, we need something else if we're not gonna make that the huge part of the site.

However, since this is the idea I came up with (with Unyo of course), I'll elaborate on what should be done...we need a database that stores:

-Name of the site
-URL
-Brief summary
-Long summery (maybe just one summary, depends on how much work it is)
-Submitted by (person who posted the url)
-Favorites of (people who 'adopted', ie. also love the site and put it in 'their' bookmarks)
-Comments (maybe we can integrate this into the forum, have the comments redirect to the corresponding topic)

I think the hardest part of doing this will be writing a script that takes all this info. We can easily store this in a mySQL database (although I have yet to learn about database management), and bring it up with a query that we run from the IPB shell.

We need people to start visiting the projects section again. :x

#3 User is offline   Unyo-kun 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

high emphasis on user profile-ability is a must, because thats one of the main things people will come for. also another thing that is important is low click ratio for getting the things they want, but thats all the skinning stuff we can put in later. the thing that i want to do is not make the forum the main part of the site (although it can be a big part in it) but ignore all this, what we need is ideas.

links library is what we have come up with, and lately ive been thinking of adding on something like an apps database too, so that people can list programs they use and get auto notified when it gets updated or something, and they can suggest and comment on it. (i came up with this idea just cuz i have like....a gabillion programs in my installer directory.

any other ideas would be great, although we are kiiinda trying to lean away from being completely anime focused, it can be if you think it will bring people.

but all that stuff is admin buisness, what i need help with is an idea.
The main question is: What would you come to DC for? What could we do that would make it different and special from all the other sites out there in the web, and make you want to come to US?

edit: moved

#4 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

I think a site where there is a section for many different anime and games and stuff would be neat, maybe you could let users and stuff edit the sections. Of course, they would have to be approved by the admins so nobody goes and makes a 'delete all' edit. :(

Or maybe an anime dictionary? if someone has trouble understanding something in an anime, like vocabulary or cultural references, they can look it up. Oh wait, that's an encyclopedia. Dictionary would work too, they can look up different stuff from all anime manga and the games too. that would be neat. :D

#5 User is offline   Unyo-kun 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:10 PM

thats a very good suggestion Bass, we might acutally use it! Yay, thats the kinda stuff we need! SUGOI~!

Posted Image

behold my messy handwriting xD! here is the layout that i made during english class (rofl) but yea tell me what you think. Some things that I added during japanese w/ katsu's help:

Anime charcter has a little line sticking from it and says a random optional Word of the day (WOTD) (ie w00t, or something from anime Kawaii~, kinda off of bass's suggestion)

Under the anime on the lower right corner is an optional MOTD (message of the day)

Under main menu has the link for Anime-namals.

Under news has latest movies, latest manga, latest games, and latest guides.

Under the login menu (after you log in) is a battery of sorts. kinda a play off of DC for direct current. i was thinking we could use the main page as sort of a browser in a page. You can visit pages and it will load in the center and then you can use the + or - on the sides of the battery to rate it, and then the battery automaticlly is showing the rating of the certain link you clicked on graphically. There is also a small text box underneath showing the rounded average percentage of all the votes.

if needed ill provide a link of a higher quality image if you guys can't read it.

from some other post i made

either waaay....we still need to actually WORK on the site :( we got an idea which is great, and over the spring break ill try to work on it as much as i can. i know its kinda off topic, but here is what im thinking of the main focuses of the site:

* Anime Links Directory
* Anime Wiki
* General Internet Usefulness (ie Mozilla and stuff) Directory
* Internet Wiki (maybe leave this out/only do anime-ish net terms
* Advanced User Profiling (anime series, programs used)

#6 User is offline   anime21 

• *smack*
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:20 PM

Zomfg!! I can actually read it! .... anyway..... >_> <_<;;; I like the idea for the message of the day. We could also borrow the idea for like a random fortune cookie message for each person if they buy one with d-cash. XD but besides all of that mush, I like the layout sorta thing. It looks very neat. It would guide alot of people around much better because everything is laid out in front of them.... in many catagories? .... wait not what I meant. It just looks like an easier guide rather then a top margin for links. idk, it just does. @[email protected];;;; *mushy brain*

#7 User is offline   Unyo-kun 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

yea lol thanx thats the way i wanted it to be. the only problem now is......what to put in the middle.

#8 User is offline   anime21 

• *smack*
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:33 AM

javascript chat room XD lol! I was joking about that. @[email protected]

#9 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:11 AM

Didn't we have one back at SaL? I think Unyo still has (or at least, hope he has) the code for that. Maybe we can set that up again. That was fun. :)

#10 User is offline   djSL 

• YE~yE~YEAAA~~~
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:02 AM

yaay... im back (run in ph34r!) lol.. umm by random message do you mean like at the top of the site we could put like some sort of quote or confucious say type thing? i like the whole anime dictionary idea and yea. what i think would attract people to dc is if we could incorporate picture galleries form members and downloads. I'm not too keen on the heavy rpg aspect but some occasional tourneys and stuff couldnt hurt. yea well theres my spin on things

#11 User is offline   Unyo-kun 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

yea picture galleries (ie deviant art or something liek that) would be good, but i dunno how well that'll do with our current bandwidth eating, but its a good idea.

^^ and no, sorry i dont have the code anymore but that too is a good idea.

#12 User is offline   anime21 

• *smack*
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:38 AM

Speaking of tourneys and Pictures and stuff, Why don't we have some contests for other things too like amv's, graphics, short story, things like that.

#13 User is offline   marmaldegirl16 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:05 AM

omg so many good ideas *mind going crazy* I just can't come up with any myself at this time...it's too early. I like the idea of the Deviant Art thingy. Sounds really cool...I'll try to come up with ideas throughout the day then post them up later ^^

#14 User is offline   Unyo-kun 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:31 AM

Yea, we could have contests too running in the forums. I'll make a script so that results can be posted around the main page somewhere (either in the content page or a link to it in the sidebar), but the mods are gonna prolly run those contests ^-^

#15 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

No problem Unyo-kun, glad I could help. Who's eating bandwidth?

What kinds of contests do you have in mind?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users