• You cannot reply to this topic

[NEG] eBay seller wootwootthelolo (ongoing) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:52 PM

This is an ongoing documentation on the eBay case #5009538418 for item #220785245918 (Myvu Crystal video glasses).

Item: MyVu Personal Media Glasses
Item condition: Seller refurbished
Ended: May 17, 2011 15:12:54 PDT
Bid history: 1 bid
Sold For: US $80.00
Shipping: $10.00 Expedited Shipping
Delivery: Estimated within 3-4 business days
Returns: No Returns Accepted
Description: Like new used twice. New earbuds! Added media chord for iphone. Includes hard shell case to keep protected. (include Myvu specification)
Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/...RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Paid on May-17-11 via PayPal

USPS Tracking #: 03102640000024163651

The same day I received the package I hooked up the pendant to my laptop to charge. Strangely, the LED indicator glowed orange, rather than the 'charging' blinking orange. Some google searching later, I find that this is caused by a state of battery deep discharge. That's fine, the recommended action is to plug it in to a 5v AC-USB adapter which will allow it to be able to be charged again. I got a 5.0v 1A adapter for my phone and hooked it up, and it started to blink yellow. After it charged for five hours, I hooked it up to my Xbox via a 3.5mm AV in (from a camcorder) and a female-female RCA patch, and started to play the original Halo for old times sake. Everything was great, until about ten minutes in when the screens started to wash out white. It was like the brightness had been turned up extremely high, except that not even the built-in brightness setting could make it that white. It looks like a fog has come between your eyes and the picture, and makes it extremely hard to differentiate between anything onscreen. The video signal is uninterrupted, but it just becomes hard to see anything onscreen.

First thing I did was search the problem, and come to find out it's the second most common problem that the Myvu Crystals have apart from a short-lifespan internal lipo battery. There is no documented fix for the washout problem, and sending it back to Myvu for repair isn't an option since the company no longer exists. I email the seller as follows:

From 24 May 2011 - 06:13 AM:

Dear wootwootthelolo,

Hello, I received the item in the mail yesterday. Cosmetically the unit is fine, but both of the screens 'wash out' to white after several minutes of use. You listed the item as 'refurbished' ('the item has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to full working order and is in excellent condition') and didn't make any mention of this problem in the ad, which is why I went with this unit/auction. Seeing as you don't take returns, what would be the best way of working out this problem? Thanks for your time.

- animeshonen

and their reply didn't exactly beggar confidence:

From 24 May 2011 - 09:43 AM:

Dear animeshonen,

Unless maybe u did not fully charge the item I don't know It was inspected the day it was put in the package a full movie was watched. After that ear buds were changed

- wootwootthelolo

I replied the next day explaining the problem further.

From 25 May 2011 - 03:09 AM:

Dear wootwootthelolo,

I had to fully charge the pendant; when I received it it would not turn on and when I plugged it in the LED was a solid orange which means the battery was in a deep discharge state. I fully charged it with a wall adapter (took 8+ hours, til LED was solid orange again) and that's when I began to use it, and observed the washout. It happens regardless of whether it's on battery power, or plugged into a USB AC adapter.

- animeshonen

Their reply wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

From 25 May 2011 - 11:25 AM:

Dear animeshonen,

I'm sorry, but everything was fully tested before I sent it and there wasn't a problem with them.

- wootwootthelolo

I sent back an email stating exactly what I wanted, and that I would open a case if they did not comply.

From 26 May 2011 - 05:15 PM:

Dear wootwootthelolo,

It doesn't matter how well it worked when you sent it, I'm saying that when I received it the item was not in the condition your ad claimed it was. I would much rather resolve this problem without opening a case with eBay, which is why I asked you what you would like me to do. I can document the problem with photos/video if you would like, but my main goal here is either to get some compensation for the failure to mention the washout problem in your ad or a return/refund, because I was under the impression that these video glasses would work perfectly.

- animeshonen

I received no response the next day, and judging by the prompt responses to this point I assumed that the seller had no interest in working it out so I opened a case on June 6 2011, well over a week after I sent my last email.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

The case details:

eBay Customer Support has opened a case for you.The seller has 7 days to respond. Jun 06, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Details you provided:
The item doesn't match the seller's description.
You have already contacted the seller through eBay Messages
You paid on May 17, 2011
The seller has responded to you
The seller isn't working with you to solve the problem
You entered the phone number xxxxxxxxxx
We will not share your phone number with the seller.
The item is damaged

Additional information:
"The auction listed it as 'refurbished' and the item was cosmetically fine, but the video screen would wash out white after ten minutes or so of viewing. Seller claimed they tested it by watching a full movie on the same day it was sent out, yet when I received the item the battery was in a deep discharge state. The video washout would happen regardless of whether the pendant was plugged in or on battery, and the problem seems to be a common one which would normally result in an RMA. Unfortuanately, the Myvu company no longer exists, and there has been no documented third party fix. Since the seller is not accepting returns, I would like a partial reimbursement for an item that was supposed to be in full working order."

You wanted:
"partial reimbursement"

now the seller manages to respond.

The seller has responded to your case with other solution. Jun 06, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Seller's message:
"Item was functional when it was shipped. Tested by plugged in while watching a full movie. No washout. Was shipped very securely. Buyer said I gave false info. That I should have put info about the washout problem. Why would I if the item was fully functional. I am not responsible for damage after it was received like being dropped our other damages. What is the proposed partial refund. I have never had an issue in years of ebay use. "

Dat grammar. I respond willing to work something out:

You have responded to the seller. Jun 07, 2011 at 3:56 AM

Your message to the seller:
"I did not mishandle the item after unpacking. If you want documentation about the screen washout behavior I will provide photo/video. You chose to list it as refurbished, which means it was supposed to be restored to full working order. If you tested it the day you sent it out by watching a movie while it was plugged in, then the battery should have had a partial charge after the four days it took for it to arrive here. When I first plugged it in, the LED was a solid orange which indicated a deep discharge state...either there is an inconsistency with your story, or the battery is not in full working order like you said. It took five hours of charging on a wall adapter to be 100% full. Not fully functional Crystals have been going for $75 on eBay, but they have guaranteed-working glasses. This seems to be the cheapest way for me to obtain a working one. I would like $40 reimbursement, as it would cost me about the same out-of-pocket afterwards to get glasses that work properly."

It actually would cost me $85 to get a Myvu Crystal with working glasses and a defective pendant on eBay.

The seller has responded to your case with other solution. Jun 07, 2011 at 6:51 AM

Seller's message:
"They were restored to working order. When I plugged them in there was a blue light not orange. Questioning my integrity is out of line. I have read many instances on forums that the washout it caused by other devices not compatible with the cable your using. There are different chords for each device. Or there is a problem with the cord. The device was fully functional with my iphone how do I know its not your device? Have you tried it with others. If you can show me you have video using another device I will consider a partial refund. You will need to send back the defective part. "

I don't have 'chords' for any of my electronics, actually...and lol, they all butthurt.

You have responded to the seller. Jun 08, 2011 at 3:06 AM

"I used it with both standard composite out (ie. VCR) and with an iPhone, and the results were the same. I went and recorded a video of the washout when connected to iPhone: <Youtube link underneath> I know the difference between a bad connection and a device malfunction. NTSC composite video is a set standard, any deviation of the waveform would result in a loss of recognizable video output, not one of predictable, reproducable and identical degraded quality. The video signal is never interrupted, and continues on just fine when the haze appears. Also, please link me to the forum posts where you got that information. I did a lot of searching regarding the problem and did not come across information regarding the washout being related to an incompatible device. Thanks!"

I was actually looking forward to what they would link me, as I honestly could not find an explanation on why the Crystal would washout.

The seller has responded to your case with other solution. Jun 08, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Seller's message:
"http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100120164255AAfuZFd"

fucking epic facepalm. 'many' instances 'on forums' means a single link to Yahoo Answers? I give them benefit of the doubt (which I probably should not even bother anymore), and wait for another response. Five days later, aka today, I send another email:

You have responded to the seller. Jun 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM

"Thank you for the link, but as of today it's been five days with no additional reply on how to resolve the problem. Yahoo Answers does not require the answers to be given by qualified people, which can be reflected in the fact that Gwen's question was not even answered. I gave you the proof that you wanted, which was video documentation on the device malfunction while using it with its intended input (iPhone). I notified you of the problem immediately after receiving the shipment, and would like to have this resolved as soon as possible."

And magically, I get a response quickly:

The seller has responded to your case with other solution. Jun 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Seller's message:
"The proof I wanted was that you try it with more than device beings it can be a faulty pin or something on your device. I believe this to be true since it work on both mine and my husbands iPhone 4 you don't have to be a qualified tech to test a device to see if it works. Your video also does not prove that the device was not mishandled. There is no time stamp on the video. You also have not given me any "expert" proof. "

Okay, now I think they are just trying extremely hard not to lose face. 'Does not prove that the device was not mishandled'? What kind of video should I make to show that!? Even I don't document myself doing everything, especially not after two weeks of you being an ass. 'There is no timestamp on the video'? I kind of figured the upload date of June 8 was sufficient? It's a unique, original video that has not appeared on the internet before...because I uploaded it mere hours after I shot it. I 'have not given you expert proof'? Expert proof that the screens are washing out and that this device is not fully working? You're fucking kidding me right? I asked you nicely, I was willing to work the problem out, I put up with your uncooperative ass for two weeks, and even went out of my way (and inconvenienced other people) to shoot a video cause you asked. I should ask you to upload a timestamped, uninterrupted video of you finishing the movie, changing the earbuds, packing it in the box, and shipping it off...and then go pointing fingers at you because...well, you can't.

I have yet to send a reply. Sadly there are douchebags on eBay who care nothing about the people that buy things from them. I am not incompetent, and I take care of my electronics particularly if they cost almost $100. This thread will be updated as the emails are exchanged...

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

well, this case is near its end. No thanks to the seller, but eBay customer support.

You have responded to the seller. Jun 15, 2011 at 3:11 PM

"I've told you the same thing happens regardless of whether it's a standard NTSC composite video (ie. VCR, game system, portable DVD player) or a compatible iOS device (iPhone) input. From the very beginning I've tried to be helpful and comply with whatever you asked, but I'm tired of being given the runaround with everything I do. I am more than willing to upload the original .mov from my camera timestamped 06/07/11. I find it quite bizarre that I have the exact same 'faulty pin or something' on both cables and all 6+ devices I've tried the Crystal with. You have sold me something that does not live up to what was advertised, and when I told you about it all I've received were sharp, uncooperative responses. eBay will have the final word in this case. Thank you for your time."

aaaand...

You have escalated the case to eBay Customer Support. Jun 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Your message to eBay Customer Support:
"The seller is being uncooperative even though I've been polite and trying to resolve the problem. I've fully and clearly explained the problem with the item (the screen will 'washout' white by itself), and even went out of my way to provide my own video documentation showing the problem that currently has no fix. The manufacturer of the item is out of business, so an RMA repair is out of the question. I asked for a partial refund of $40 since according to the ad she is not accepting returns, which I thought was a fair amount considering I will need to pay an additional $40 out of pocket in order to obtain a working pair of glasses. I started contacting the seller as of May 24 and am tired of getting the runaround. I would like for eBay to resolve this case, as I don't see myself getting anything but uncooperative responses which has been the case for the past three weeks. Thank you"

we shall see how this ends.

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

still waiting on eBay... <_<

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic