• You cannot reply to this topic

[done] vintage Radio Shack Aftershock not the Losi one

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Our very own Bryce_P found some RC's back at his home in Kona, and brought them back for me to check out. One of them still works (a Radio Shack buggy-type thing) while the other unfortunately stopped working. From what I can tell, it's called the Aftershock (no relation to the relatively recent Losi Aftershock) and it is pretty cool for being only $100.

Since the electronics died, Bryce_P consented to me retrofitting in hobby-grade parts to get it running again. Here's the results of four hours work:

Posted Image
there's the Aftershock sticker

Posted Image
front view

Posted Image
side view. Unfortunately, despite its huge body-wheel clearance, the chassis is actually quite low and the suspension travel is limited.

Posted Image
popping off the body made me appreciate modern body post technology. this one required four easily-stripped screws to be removed

Posted Image
a shitty picture of the circuit board

Posted Image
the components side of the circuit board

Posted Image
interestingly, the radio required a separate 9v battery connection

Posted Image
I was wondering what this mess was, when I realized that the heatshrink-wrapped thing is a thermistor. coupled with the relay visible a few photos back, that was the overheat protection

Posted Image
power wires desoldered

Posted Image
result on chassis

Posted Image
circuit board removed

Posted Image
the bottom of the chassis. I pulled out the Tamiya-style battery connector as well.

Unfortunately for the modern components I have, Radio Shack designed the battery compartment to be form-fitting to the nickel "shotgun" battery packs. This actually is pretty smart, and luckily Bryce_P had several NiCds laying around from when he bought this RC. Thankfully NiCds are indestructible, and every battery that I tried charging accepted (and held!) charge.

Posted Image
somewhat false advertising considering the temperature cutoff is based on the ESC's MOSFET temp and not the motor's, but try explaining that to the general public without confusing them

Posted Image
in modern times the Tx voltage had to come up (12v) before coming down (6v). The Rx went down (5v), and then has to come back up (8v) due to the HV servos used these days. Interesting.

Posted Image
hotglue stabilizing the 9v battery socket wires.

Posted Image
pulled the hotglue off, as the 9v connector is no longer necessary.

Posted Image
I pulled off the wheels to more easily access the chassis, and found that they use a very long 8mm? hex with a standard 1:10 scale M4 wheel nut.

Posted Image
the steering assembly looked like a normal servo controlled pushrod system

Posted Image
in order to change the servo, I needed to pull off the front end

Posted Image
the AWD was provided by a prop shaft. Instead of using a D-cut it instead had a screwdriver-like smashed tip which keyed into the differential input.

Posted Image
front bumper unscrews and slides off

Posted Image
took off the shocks and springs, they were preloaded fairly heavily when installed

Posted Image
getting closer

Posted Image
inside the bulkhead

Posted Image
at this point I got excited, since the servo used by Radio Shack was actually very similar in size and layout as our standard hobby servos

Posted Image
what the servo looks like installed

Posted Image
what a standard 1:10 servo looks like superimposed

Posted Image
if the OEM servo had a standard spline then this would've been all too easy

Posted Image
I decided to install the Traxxas 2075 servo I did the metal gear swap on, so to make the steering assembly work I decided to mount the original servo horn on top of one that fit the TRX spline

Posted Image
chop chop

Posted Image
no conflicts here

Posted Image
I needed to drill a screw hole right here in order for the servo to be able to apply torque to it

Posted Image
all mounted up

Posted Image
some quick melt work with my soldering iron and the 2075 fits into the original servo's spot

Posted Image
one of the main reasons why I decided to use the TRX servo was that the servo horns needed cutting, and from what I can tell the gears strip more readily than anything else on it so I figure if I need it for something else later I can just pick up a new case for cheap

Posted Image
front end reassembled

Posted Image
another view. Unfortunately I forgot to feed the servo wire back through the bulkhead like it was originally. oh well.

Posted Image
that bumper will do a nice job protecting it

Posted Image
the original pcb was bulky enough to allow me to stuff everything into the compartment. The Duratrax DTX-4 ESC came off of Scott's RC10T3 and the receiver is for my Futaba 3PM FM radio. The heatshrink around the ESC's wires is cause I had to feed the battery connector wires through a tiny hole down into the battery tray. I also salvaged the motor wires from the T3's original motor and soldered it to the wires coming from the motor on the Aftershock. I didn't really feel like taking the rear end apart. Also, one of the nice touches I came up with is to feed the ESC power switch through the hole that was formerly the steering calibration pot.

Posted Image
bolted back up

Posted Image
and a breath of life is given to a decade-old RC.

I drove it around for a little bit after finishing, but the gearbox makes a lot of noise so I didn't do any real bashing at 2am. The servo moves pretty slowly so either the TRX servo sucks or the BEC on the ESC is at 5v. (Probably both.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users