• You cannot reply to this topic

[drift] TC5R

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:17 AM

Posting up a project thread for the TC5R. This thread will contain all the things I'm doing with the car.

current status is a CS'd drifter, with a 35% or so overdrive. I think I will need a new chassis plate soon, as the current one is scratched up and probably tweaked from all the collisions. was looking at this one from Exotek: http://exotekracing..../6/29_TC5X.html

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

well...I went drifting on Christmas day at my grandparents' house...they have a nice driveway and I was getting some really fun slippery asphalt action, until I ran into my own foot and snapped my rear belt. ):

Posted Image
teeth are pretty eaten up, I doubt this would've lasted much longer without my crash

after two or three sessions with my race ESC, I can say that it's kind of sad when you need reverse but don't have it, but I haven't caused any crashes since then. I think marshaling should be a part of drifting too lol, since we go everywhere and people usually don't stay in the same area. We're spread out all over the course, even if it is kinda small. The school we go to at nighttime when it's raining has walkways between the buildings, we do a crooked figure 8 course that's probably 15'x10'.

I also stuck back in my old rear diff setup, the ball diff with the Cyclone pulley on it. The Traxxas pulley is too wide and it makes the rear belt sit crooked, and the Cyclone doesn't need a tensioner. We drift mainly on sidewalks, and just found a new place to go (Lili'uokalani Park), the 67%OD is a bit too much for the sweeping corners. It's mostly me sucking at the overdrive, but it's also hard to maintain similar entry speed and lines with all my other friends' 50/50s.

edit: ok well a little disapppointing...I forgot that Tower puts the Cyclone S belt as 'Cyclone Belt' and the Cyclone TC belt as '189 63t'. This means I have two Cyclone S belts when the TC belt was the one I needed...it's ok tho lol, I can sort of make it work. I cannot fit the Cyclone diff pulley as it is literally about 2mm (or 3mm...one tooth) short, so I stuck back in the traxxas pulley and am using that now with a new tensioner setup.

Posted Image
looks like it hasn't been used in awhile, lol

Posted Image
I love the brand new look lol. especially compared to the old belt.

Posted Image
misfocused shot of the tensioner, pulley is taken from an old HPI RS4 pulley set.

Posted Image
I just flipped my old tensioner upside down and it works perfectly.

edit: just realized that I forgot to put back in the NiMH cell stabilizers back in.
Posted Image
I was wondering why they kept flying out whenever I would crash hard.

the TC5R hasn't been used in awhile...when will we go drifting again?

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

did some minor motor repair, it was to ensure the armature was connected to the comm.

Posted Image
pulling the motor out

Posted Image
commutator. There's no soldering, which is why I think sometimes it would stop working

Posted Image
one of my (sadly) Integy hex drivers

Posted Image
completely letting me down

Posted Image
so that's where the tip will stay forever...

Posted Image
stealing the pulley from the Sprint 2 ball diff

Posted Image
compared to the TC5 one with a Traxxas pulley

Posted Image
both differentials taken apart

Posted Image
that's the difference between a $20 diff and a $50 diff...

Posted Image
well, shit. the diff tensioner broke off in the T-nut too.

Posted Image
slight razor marks, I had to enlarge just slightly one side of the HPI pulley in order for the TC5 hubs to fit inside nicely.

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:12 PM

With the back end held tight I must say that the car handles much better now. I should've gone with a F/R spool to begin with...but the grip is higher, and it feels more stable in the corners.

#5 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image
soldered the motor wires on

Posted Image
then decided to go back to brushless. haha

Posted Image
the other refurbished Mamba Max Pro that I got when I fried my first two

Posted Image
there's a lurching issue, but I think it's just the MMP's new firmware

Posted Image
managed to strip this diff nut too...oh well, back goes the other one.

The TC5R now has front/rear spools, hopefully the handling will be better. I threadlocked both diff screws, so I shouldn't have backing out problems like before.

#6 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

Posted Image
making a pulley guide out of plastic packaging

Posted Image
hopefully my belts won't get eaten anymore...

#7 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

I took my TC5R out to run on New Years Day, and was unpleasantly surprised by a huge amount of drivetrain friction. I took it apart recently to check out what happened, and this is what I found.

Posted Image
the rear diff was the problem, as you can see the outdrive is heavily scored

Posted Image
the bearing was completely siezed, so I pulled it out of the cup and took off the seals.

Posted Image
if you look carefully, the 6 o'clock ball has an unwanted visitor. I have no idea how it popped out of the cage, but it jammed the entire bearing by being in the wrong place

Posted Image
after some prying, I managed to get the cage out...and then promptly lost 10 out of the 11 balls. |:

Posted Image
bearing took some damage, but I just wanted to get it to hold til I could get a replacement...

Posted Image
Since I had lost all the balls and would have to order new bearings, I decided to do a popular modification to the motor mount

Posted Image
The stock setup is offset. Since the TC5R was designed in the very last stage of NiMH and brushed motor racing, the balance has to be adjusted for lipo batteries and brushless motors.

Posted Image
It's offset to the outside of the bulkhead.

Posted Image
scratching in the outline for the motor mount

Posted Image
this is where I cut!

Posted Image
five minutes with a hacksaw later

Posted Image
new holes for the adjusted motor mount, I also drilled new holes for the battery

Posted Image
Since the lipos are lighter than the NiMH cells, having it further outwards reduces the amount of balancing weights I have to use

Posted Image
underside view. I moved over the battery by 6mm.

Posted Image
after doing this, I realized that I had extra balls from diff rebuilds on my old RC18B. The larger ones are the diff balls, the smaller ones are the diff thrust bearing ones. The thrust bearing balls were just a shave smaller, so I figured I'd give it a shot since I had nothing to lose at this point anyway. The last remaining bearing ball is all the way in the right corner.

Posted Image
trying to un-bend the retainer as much as I could...

Posted Image
very difficult balancing act...now I have to slip in the inner race.

Posted Image
used a vice to hold the two races together while I attempted to place the balls in such a way that the retainer could go back in. I found out the hard way that this requires either special tools, or far more patience than I am capable of. I gave up like a boss.

Posted Image
In the meantime, I flipped the pinion on the motor and tested out my FWD car.

Posted Image
perfect! I will either have to shave down the motor mount and upper brace, or just run it without it. We'll see if it's stiff enough without the top deck once I get more diff bearings.

Posted Image
one bottom shot of the chassis, to see where the components are now placed.

I'm currently borrowing some bearings from skidz24's Cyclone TC while I order replacements...

Posted Image
interestingly, the Cyclone uses unshielded bearings.

Posted Image
because I swapped the belts when I did the motor mount mod, I had to move the tensioner pulley to the other side of the bulkhead. It's quite cramped on the spur gear side.

Posted Image
not quite straight, but it works.

Posted Image
the setup for now. Until I can dremel both the motor mount (the top screw part sticks up) and the upper deck (the motor needs some of the edge gone to mount properly), it will be running extra-flexy.

#8 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Haven't done much to the TC5R, but I did manage to paint a new body for it in the very few sunny days we had last week.

Posted Image
masking it up

Posted Image
about damn time too, I got this body in September 2010

Posted Image
even see-through, it's very beautiful

Posted Image
first coat with Gunmetal

Posted Image
Finished gunmetal, and started spraying the black tint. Decided to tint all the windows instead of painting them black (ie. Supra) afterwards...

Posted Image
Finished. I didn't get to do the buckets yet, that comes possibly during spring break.

#9 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Haven't gotten much done to the TC5R lately, but I did finally get around to ordering replacement bearings from Boca.

Posted Image
Instead of getting the whole set, I just got several replacements for the diff outputs and spur gear shaft.

Posted Image
redid the tensioner, now that it uses only bearings it should run a lot better. The 3x5mm bearings in the old tensioner were siezed pretty hard too.

Posted Image
Looking from the other side. Yeah, the belt is bust up.

Posted Image
I also found a way to run the upper deck. Because of the motor mount mod, the motor contacts the upper deck so I had to raise it up using a servo ear barrel thing.

Posted Image
Unfortunately, in order for the belt to clear the upper deck this solution had to be asymmetrical. This is terrible for chassis tweak, but we'll see how this translates to drifting performance. I'm hoping it's not much.

#10 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Ground down the upper deck with a dremel attachment so it can sit flush again.

Posted Image
I hope the carbon fiber isn't too thin

Posted Image
sitting flush next to the motor.

#11 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

It's been awhile since I've worked on this car, but due to the lack of drift chassis around Hilo these days I've converted the car back to 50/50 just in case we do some grip driving.

Posted Image
chassis as is at the start of tonight's wrench session, notice the location of the battery brace

Posted Image
drilled a new set of holes for the battery brace further out from the center

Posted Image
now it's further out, so hopefully the lighter lipo can counterbalance the rest of the car now

Posted Image
also notice that the bullets on the battery clear the upper deck completely now, it wasn't like the original modified setup where one of the bullets were smashed

Posted Image
trying an aftermarket belt brand, Tough Racing. They're based out of Korea, apparently.

Posted Image
the stamps on the front belt

Posted Image
stamps on the rear belt

Posted Image
un-flipped pulleys and installed the belts, with the one-way diff installed at the front

Posted Image
back together

Posted Image
slightly blurry photo of the electronics side

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users