• You cannot reply to this topic

[tutorial] TT-01 differential locking no extra materials required

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

As the TT-01 is still a very popular kit for entry-level drifting, I figured I'd throw together this tutorial on how to improve drifting performance by locking the differentials.

The stock differentials in nearly all TT-01 kits are open planetary gear types, which is nice for simplicity but not good for racing and/or drifting. You need the limited slip for maximum grip, but for consistency while drifting it's best to straight-up lock them. Because drift tires do not have anywhere near the same amount of grip there is far less risk of stripping your diff crown gear and driveshaft bevel gear.

Anyway, this is a modification I've taken from other users but made better I believe. A lot of the forum posts about locking diffs require you to stuff it full of an immobilizer like silly putty or hot glue, which is fine but can get messy particularly if you don't put enough and the diff action starts happening again (think food blender). Another option is to squish one of the spider gears between the others to lock up diff action. I liked the idea of this one very much since there is no chance of it reverting back to open under use (besides catastrophic diff failure) as all of the gears are in contact with each other.

Since having all three spider gears on one side of the diff can't be good for balance and vibration, I took it a step further. I liked the idea of not having to jam any foreign materials into the diff, and you also don't have to clean off all the gears if you've already greased them up as per the build instructions.

Posted Image
Here's the diff straight out of the car. There are a lot of tutorials on how to access the differentials on your TT-01 so I'll skip straight to the point.

Posted Image
Remove the outdrives and stand the diff up on its side.

Posted Image
use a Philips screwdriver to remove the screws of the diff casing.

Posted Image
take off the ring gear side of the diff to access the 'guts'

Posted Image
turn over the cup and the internal gears should fall out

Posted Image
replace the side gear shown and make sure it's seated properly and not sitting crooked, or else the rest won't fit

Posted Image
remove one of the tiny spider gears before putting the rack back in

Posted Image
after the rack is all the way in, put the remaining spider gear in as shown. It's not going to be sitting on a post.

Posted Image
put the other side gear in, and make sure it's centered. It should not rest off-center or non-parallel to the other side gear in any way. If it does, wiggle around the spider gears.

Posted Image
Place the crown gear part of the case back on, taking care to match up the screw holes and also there are three alignment pins on the crown gear that need to be matched to their corresponding holes in the diff casing.

Posted Image
replace the screws, making sure not to tighten them equally and not too much. I overtightened the diff housing screws on my first TT-01, which resulted in a stripped crown gear; it was no longer flat and therefore meshed improperly.

Posted Image
Slide the outdrives back in, and twist them to make sure the differential is really locked.

Hope this helps you TT-01 guys, locking your diffs is the first step to becoming better at drifting. With predictable traction comes confidence in your car's handling. A lot of people say to lock the rear as it causes it to kick out more, but locking the front also helps as it gives the steering more consistency especially when you're on power.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users