• You cannot reply to this topic

[done] EDF-Revo

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

I've finally accumulated enough spare parts for the E-Revo to finally make building a second chassis feasible. I won a couple of auctions recently to replace some parts, and some extras thrown in. After this shipment (and the Tower one) comes in, these are the spare useable parts I will have:

• chassis
  • full set of arms
  • battery doors/vents
  • 2-motor plate with cover
  • slipper assembly (off of Revo 3.3)
  • body mounts/posts
  • last set of rims/tires
  • 14mm wheel hex and pins
  • useable center driveshafts
  • P2/LT rocker arms
  • steel suspension pushrods
  • twin-servo steering arm with spring
  • servo guards
  • shock mounts
  • springs + shocks
  • crappy body
  • rocker posts
  • Revo 3.3 spec diffs
  • bulkheads
  • axle carriers
  • steering assembly
  • skid plates
  • hinge pins + plates

the only things you would really need to get it to a rolling chassis would be:
  • transmission (unless you want 2-speed automatic with separate reverse)
  • 4x complete axles
  • 2x toe rods
  • hardware (screws, etc.)

If you go on ebay the 'required' list can be had for under $200. All you really need is a radio and motor/controller. I have extra pinions/spurs for both 1/8" and 5mm motor shafts.

edit: bought shit on eBay/Tower, updated the list

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

okay since nobody seems to have enough money to buy/build this thing, it will be transformed into a project of my own doing. You can probably figure out what it is by looking at the parts list :P

ESC: Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 100 ($227.28 for two)
Very solid ESC, with amazing features (data logging!) from one of the best companies in the RC business.

Motor: Turnigy T600 4030-880
Yes it's an outrunner...but the specs are amazing. I was considering using a KB45-17XL but those things apparently heat up quicker than my soldering iron, and will require water cooling to function for any extended period of time. That makes no sense in this setup... It will probably require a custom mounting plate, however, looking at the layout of the holes.

EDF: EDF Ducted Fan Unit 7 Blade 4.5inch
4000g thrust with 22000rpm. If thrust scales linearly (and if the fan can handle the extra rpm), the thrust should be around 4400g. This equates to a total thrust:weight ratio on the Revo of roughly 1.5...assuming I can keep this weighing under 13lbs. Not bad huh?

Radio: Turnigy 9X (Mode 2) ($59.99)
I'm gonna need more than 2.5 channels to control everything that's gonna be on the Revo, so this is a 9 channel (actually 8, limited by receiver) 2.4GHz radio made by Turnigy and it is very cheap. So cheap in fact, that extra receivers are just $9. wtf.

Batteries: still looking into it. I might just buy two more of the ones I'm already using (Turnigy 4000mAh 20c, $27.94 each) and put a stack on top of the chassis where the motor/trans would go. Turnigy 5000mAh 40c will fit if I thicken the battery trays slightly, but I don't wanna cut up the chassis since I want it to be able to go back to a normal Revo.

WIP! so far I just have the ESC's on its way. Changland order sometime next month.

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

the twin Phoenixes are in. Waiting on paycheck/stock in Changland before I make next order. Maybe I should post up a changland order thread too lol.

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:26 AM

Well since D.C was down, the changland order has come in and I have posted pictures of the build on GSR. Here are a few, since most people checking D.C will have access to the real project lol.

Posted Image
testing setup

Posted Image
fans thrusting at 3% power

Posted Image
the setup used in the testing videos below

I also took video of testing, but I couldn't give max throttle due to it being taken at 10:30pm, but you can hear the sound of the twin fan setup.

First test. digital scale just shows that there is thrust being produced, it is not an indicator of how strong the thrust is.

Second test. I pushed the empty Fancar v2 chassis which was about eight feet away.

updates to come as they happen. (:

#5 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

did a little bit of work on the fans this long weekend. Didn't get out much since we were having a tennis fundraiser to help offset the cost of nationals.

Posted Image
four pieces of hacksaw'd aluminum L-bracket.

Posted Image
battle plans

Posted Image
a five minute trip to the drill press later

Posted Image
decided to run neoprene washers to dampen the vibration of the fan. good idea I thought, til I realized I needed 32 of them and they were 32c each. D:

Posted Image
all of the fans mounted up with their L-brackets....and I realized I totally forgot to buy nuts. :oops: I went to the hardware store today and bought some nuts so hopefully the bracket mounting can be finished tonight...

#6 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:44 AM

Posted Image
this is the suspension-mount-mount L-bracket along with the bottom rear fan bracket, I'm measuring out a plate to bolt them together. Notice how the holes aren't centered properly...don't worry! with all my cockeyed drilling this lines up perfectly when it's assembled.

Posted Image
screwing the suspension mount back in. fortunately the screws that come with the Tekno ARB kit are long enough to accommodate an extra 1/8" of aluminum.

Posted Image
lined up and ready to accept screws

Posted Image
this is the front stabilizer beam that connects the top and the bottom rails. extra holes drilled for the ESC mounting solution I came up with

Posted Image
I had bought these M3 locknuts for replacement wheel nuts on the RC18-2. Excellent deal, you get twenty steel/nylon locknuts for just over $3.

Posted Image
here's the shitty stock wheel nuts with some extra M3x12mm screws from either the TC5 or the Revos

Posted Image
bolted to the brace

Posted Image
with some clever ziptie work (and a hole drilled in the center of the bolts added), everything is mounted

Posted Image
closeup of the ESC mounting

Posted Image
rear view. finally decided to call it quits at 3am Saturday morning.

Posted Image
Saturday afternoon was all about the battery tray.

Posted Image
added some L-brackets on the front and back, and side/side is taken care of with some Turnigy battery straps.

Posted Image
braking servo in stock nitro Revo box

Posted Image
wire routing like a pro

Posted Image
mounting the receiver. in retrospect I should have used the GWS one we usually use, because its antenna isn't fifteen miles long. I hope that the Turnigy 9X receiver comes back in stock soon so the 8-channel 2.4GHz radio can be shipped...

Posted Image
channel layout: steering servo (1), braking servo (2), ESC Y-splitter (3)

Posted Image
and a filter capacitor just in case (4)

Posted Image
I was gonna put LED's but then the Rx bit me with a pin so I decided not to. ):

Posted Image
how the hell am I gonna handle that antenna

Posted Image
testing the fans Saturday night

Posted Image
I ended up threading the antenna through a body post...every single hole was used and it was still a foot and a half longer (hanging under the chassis in this photo)

Posted Image
side view of the batteries. Using the Hitec foam that came with the radio to cushion the receiver underneath the batteries to absorb the screw heads.

Posted Image
rear view, the SBEC LED lights it up a bit.

Posted Image
taken right before the video was shot. My cameraman forgot tho change it into Movie mode. lol

And now...after several runs and a couple of videos, the EDF-Revo has been disassembled. It's time to move on, and believe it or not I shed a tear while taking it apart. ):

Posted Image
taking photos of it before disassembly

Posted Image
quite possibly the neatest wire management I've ever done

Posted Image