• PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image

The start of something great.

Picked this one up preowned, came with a few upgrades from the previous owner:

- Prometheus High Speed Gears
- Prometheus packing/flat nub (mislabeled, actually a Maple Leaf 80° with concave nub)
- ASG Infinity CNC 40k motor

Stock parts that got replaced were not included, nor was the flash hider. Having to make do while I look for a replacement, as the PKP has a unique flash hider for its forced air cooling system and I cannot find an LCT replacement anywhere online.

Going to do an extensive overhaul of the internals even as-is.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 26 December 2019 - 12:51 AM

Posted Image
The belly of the GPMG

Posted Image
Unscrew two screws that hold the gearbox in place

Posted Image
Looking at the area where the barrel connects to the receiver

Posted Image
Slide the barrel lock to the left to disengage the lock

Posted Image
Barrel comes out, this is the hopup unit

Posted Image
Punching a pin out so I can remove the dust cover completely

Posted Image
I had to unscrew the chamber completely in order to remove the gearbox, as the nozzle pokes through it

Posted Image
Freeing the hopup and barrel assembly. The barrel is exactly 22-1/4" long, or 565mm long. I'm not sure of the inner diameter but that's way overvolumed since the LMG uses a standard cylinder length. Not sure about the quality of the bore, but the quality of the crowning was terrible. That is irrelevant as we will be swapping it out to match it to the weight of bb anyway.

Posted Image
Gearbox is out of the receiver

Posted Image
Removing the huge and heavy spring guide to pull out the LCT spring. I measured the spring diameter as 1.37mm, which translates to roughly M130. Makes sense, to overpower the extremely long barrel to reach the stock 400fps or so with 0.20g bbs.

Posted Image
Internals, with the upgraded ASG motor. To my surprise, this gearbox uses standard non-flanged 3x8x4mm bearings. The gears were replaced with Prometheus High Speed (16.46:1) which means they are v2/3 compatible. Tappet plate is unique but looks similar to v2

Posted Image
Need the gearbox clean to start all over with as many upgraded components as possible to get this build going.

Was going to try sizing out a custom brushless motor for this build, but I'm not sure if I'm going to go through with it due to difficulty in finding spare parts for this gearbox. Just for reference, an AEG motor (specifically a Marui-spec short type) has the following specs:

Narrow flat diameter: 25.56mm
Thicker curved diameter: 29.93
Shaft length: 15.49mm
Motor can length: 44.98mm
Endbell bearing housing diameter: 9.78mm

Found a couple of possible ones on Hobbyking but they are all out of stock right now. They seem to be outrunners for 55/64mm EDFs, 26mm diameter cans.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users