• You cannot reply to this topic

Windows XP... ...SP3? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:55 PM

As a Windows XP SP2 user, I was kind of looking forward to seeing Service Pack 3 but I never really heard about a final version coming up. However, I was linked to this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Is this the final release? or just a beta/rc? I figured everyone would be making a big deal about SP3 coming out finally after a long wait (along with SP1 for Vista, ololol) and as far as I can tell this was released under wraps?

Vejida, you're probably the go-to guy for this, but does anyone know?

I guess this thread is about XP and stuff you like or dislike about it...along with Service Pack updates or other hotfixes.

#2 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

What you linked is just an overview of SP3, not the actual SP3. but it will be released for Chinese (Simplified), English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish in the second half of April.

I am looking forward for it myself. although I would hate to upgrade every ones machine :-\

The next release (estimated in about 21 days after the first wave) will be for these languages - Arabic, Chinese (Hong Kong), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Swedish, and Turkish.

I just hope SP1 for vista is less on memory :-\

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:18 AM

ah I see, thanks for the confirmation. I thought it was too early, although I wouldn't be grumbling if it was the final release...

ps. just noticed that there wasn't a download link on that page to an exe or msi or something of that sort, so I suppose that makes sense though. I assumed microsoft would put a sort of countdown somewhere in the page to let people know how much longer it'll take.

edit: found an interesting article about the problems we have with XP and Vista, and what needs to be done to correct it all...
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8428

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

Update on the SP3...I like it. That said, it hasn't made its way onto my laptop yet (dun wanna install it since it's downtime for me lol), but I have installed it four times. Actually, one of the four times was on HERO's previously-vista laptop. The other three were on entry level pc's I've built and fixed up.

And also, yet more disappointment from Vista...so much for the OS of the future, lol
http://news.cnet.com...9996317-64.html

#5 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:29 AM

I have not had the privilege to use XP SP3 yet. But I have been forced to use Vista on 6 comps in my shop. I hate them all. I hate Vista.

With all the operating systems out, the best one i have seen is linux/unix based. can't beat the cost. plus it works better then vista, and leopard.

#6 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

Well most if not all PC's I've used in the past month or so are SP3 now, there's a few features here and there that I notice but so far it's just good ol' XP keeping on going.

Speaking of bashing Vista, the ones at UHH are all Vista and I'm getting increasingly irritated by them. The biggest by far is this idiotic translucency of the window perimeters...I imagine it's resource-intensive too, at least for the graphics cards.

Edit: I found a blog on the history of Windows, written by a guy who has used all of them o_o worth a read.

http://blogs.compute...com/node/12418/

#7 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

http://www.techradar...-doesn-t-628892

pretty cool article about the new features in Windows 7. Also has an epic geek fight at the bottom in the comments lol

#8 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:36 PM

Windows 7 sounds worth upgrading. the whole "XP Mode" will sell the OS. as long as it works of course.

#9 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

bump, I guess this topic is about all types of Windows now...

apparently someone found a killer feature of Windows 7, not much news for people with older laptops but instead for people with upgraded hardware.

http://www.infoworld...ler-feature-427

and also an interesting article that I don't quite agree with about why 7 being successful is a bad thing:

http://blogs.compute..._ruin_microsoft

#10 User is offline   katsu 

• twelveAM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

so that first article basically says that it's not technically faster ram-wise because it still uses the same amount regardless? kinda fail. hopefully, all the new stuff in w7 makes up for it.

#11 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:36 AM

wow. although nothing has changed about the RAM issue, other then that modern computers can keep up with it now, they have improved on the way the CPU runs. Making it virtually faster! They said "In one multiprocess workflow test, Windows 7 outpaced Windows XP by 250 percent"

That's 2.5 times better/faster, with the same CPU.

It may even be smart for me to upgrade my desktop. :-\ hmmmmmm we'll see.

#12 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

yay!

Posted Image

it's been alright so far, very nice looking but having a few driver issues and DirectX refuses to install, even 9.0c from last year.

#13 User is offline   Shade 

• PipPip
  • Group: TGOG Admin

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

So I heard Windows 7 is going to be the last OS on MSDOS..

Is it true, and what does it mean about Windows 8?

#14 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

probably less backwards compatibility, although this article does complain about what needs to be changed for Windows 8...
http://www.techradar...indows-8-654998

#15 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

so...the impossible has been done. My Sager NP3880-V now has Windows 7 on it, when everyone (including Sager tech support) thought it to be impossible. I'll admit that there's been more than a fair share of driver issues, but I can also say that they're 100% resolved.

Elantech KTP touchpad: when installed, either it or explorer would suck up 99% of my processor. Solution: don't need it since I don't use the touchpad seriously anyway, much less for scrolling or shortcuts.
Intel 2200 B/G Wireless LAN: 'incompatible' with Windows 7, caused OS instability when installed. Turns out to only be their wireless utilities shit, so I downloaded the drivers-only installer from Intel (here).
nVidia GeForce Go 6600: There are no such thing as 'updated drivers' for this old (albiet powerful) graphics card, and Aero was unable to be displayed. I had to find unofficial (hacked) drivers that enabled Aero, and so far it's working great. If you're looking for an older (or newer) graphics card drivers for Windows 7, I found the drivers here.
Realtek Audio: Another case of XP drivers not being able to install natively in Windows 7, and then when they did install under compatibility mode they just fuck up shit. Not really a solution, but I didn't have to deal with this since I have my Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA sound card, and Creative fortunately has Windows 7 drivers.

Other issues include my Logitech MX510 not 'needing' Windows 7 drivers, according to Logitech, but fortunately my G11 keyboard did get a 7 driver, available here. Also, I didn't install any fancy shmancy drivers onto my laptop, including the card reader and the 'you got mail' LED under the screen....never used those anyway.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users