• You cannot reply to this topic

WEtech XDM 4.5 also with SRU Apache slide kit

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:03 PM

This is round 2 of the WE XDM series, this time it's the full size one that I picked up with the intent of slapping on one of those sweet looking SRU slide kits for it. Threaded barrel perfect for running a longer inner barrel and suppressor, and two-piece slide with stationary part with a pic rail for mounting optics.

As it turns out the SRU kit needs fitment work done, and although it would've been fun to do last year when I had the subcompact XDM I simply do not have the time to do so anymore. A testament to this statement is the fact that majority of these photos were taken in August and priority has been given to larger projects.

Anyway, let's get on to the photos

Posted Image
Here's the pistol as it was out of the box, originally picked up in early August 2020

Posted Image
Lightly used with one magazine. Popped off the plastic orange tip

Posted Image
Slide takedown lever twisted open, slide comes off. Still has that annoying striker prime indicator mechanism on the rear of the slide, that is coming off right now.

Posted Image
Full slide strip. Lower does not need to be touched

Posted Image
Comparing the slides, the hop unit needs to be put into the new outer barrel. The SRU kit comes with a longer inner barrel, adding some FPS to this pistol. The stock WE inner barrels generally aren't the best either so this is a welcome upgrade.

Posted Image
WE is actually not Marui spec with the barrel cuts and packing shape. Fortunately the SRU inner barrel has an extended cut for use with ML packings, so that is what I'll use.

Posted Image
Longer inner barrel installed with a ML 75 degree Autobot into the hop unit

Posted Image
Blowback unit and barrel assembly with recoil guide assembly reinstalled to make the complete slide

Posted Image
SRU CNC'd this thing rather sharp, it will need to wear in before it gets smooth.

In fact the main complaint I have about this kit is that the tolerances are too tight to the point where it requires fitment. I don't think this is acceptable considering that this kit is designed specifically for the WE XDM. It jams and locks up on the slide being racked all the way back, to the point where firing the pistol locks the slide back on every shot and the slide stop is not even raised up.

Posted Image
Misfocused photo of the XDM with the SRU Apache slide on. It raises the height of the slide to the point where it no longer fits in molded XDM holsters, but as a plus you can mount any optic you want and looks really neat.

Posted Image
Chrono shows the results of firing off a bunch of shots from the single mag from room temperature. Compensated for cooldown we are seeing an average FPS of around 310-315fps which is right where it should be since this slide now classifies the barrel length as a full size pistol like the 1911. Putting in a longer inner barrel and covering it with a fake suppressor will further increase the FPS and mounting a full size optic on this pistol will make it cool for a primary.

I'll probably let this one go as a package for $130, the WE pistol/mag and SRU slide kit with the ML 75deg packing too.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users