• This topic is locked

English 402 survey Please help! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sayonara 

• Puella Magi Sayo Dokidoki-da
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:34 AM

Sooo. It's for extra credit and I'd really appreciate it if anyone can fill this out and send it to my inbox so it's confidential and people don't cheat. I made this on FB but needed to spread the venue on where I'm distributing the surveys so there's a broad range of people trying it out. I apologize for the speedy need for anyone who can fill it out. Thanks!

Ethnicity:

Born and raised where?

Profession:

Do you consider yourself to be a SPEAKER of Standard English? Y/N
Do you consider yourself to be a WRITER of Standard English? Y/N

Do you ever use non-standard English forms in your speech Y/N or writing Y/N?
If so, in what situations? Can you please give examples:
Speech:
a.
b.
c.
Writing:
a.
b.
c.

In your professional life, what are the mistakes other people make which annoy you the most?
in Speech:
a.
b.
c.
in Writing:
a.
b.
c.

In the following sentences, what, if anything, would you wish to correct? Please make any changes:

1) We need to get going early as there's less cars on the freeway before 6:30. Which means you won't be able to lay in bed till 7:00 tomorrow morning.

2) I would of done good on the test if I would have had more time to study.

3) I feel real bad that I forgot my mothers birthday, however I send some flowers.

4) Being scarce and expensive, doctors must only give this medication to whoever has the best chance of survival.

5) Any child who's parents think they learn quicker then the average kid, should be allowed to start preschool early.

6) The best man showed up at last Saturday's wedding in clothes, which he borrowed from my brother and I: he looked good but he couldn't hardly walk in the shoes we lent him.

7) Each of my daughter's insist that our old Labrador doesn't smell badly but for the past month I'm keeping him confined to the yard.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:20 AM

Ethnicity: Japanese

Born and raised where? Honolulu/Hilo... See More

Profession: Student

Do you consider yourself to be a SPEAKER of Standard English? Y
Do you consider yourself to be a WRITER of Standard English? Y

Do you ever use non-standard English forms in your speech Y or writing Y
Speech:
a) When talking to locals
B) When satirizing or criticizing someone/something
c) Humor
Writing:
a) Quoting/paraphrasing dialogue
B) When satirizing or criticizing someone/something
c) For humor

In your professional life, what are the mistakes other people make which annoy you the most?
in Speech:
a) Using large words in attempt to confuse the listener
B) Saying 'same thing' when correcting their word choice for something important
c)
in Writing:
a) Mixing up you're/your, its/it's, there/their/they're, break/brake, etc.
B) Nonstandard or erratic capitalization
c)

In the following sentences, what, if anything, would you wish to correct? Please make any changes:

1) We need to get going early, as there's less cars on the freeway before 6:30. This means you won't be able to lay in bed until 7:00 tomorrow morning.

2) I would've done better on the test if I had more time to study.

3) I felt really bad that I forgot my mothers birthday, I sent some flowers however.

4) Being scarce and expensive, doctors must give this medication to whoever has the best chance of survival.

5) Any child, whose parents think they learn quicker then the average kid, should be allowed to start preschool early.

6) The best man showed up at last Saturday's wedding in clothes which he borrowed from my brother and myself. He looked good, but he could hardly walk in the shoes we lent him.

7) Each of my daughters insist that our old Labrador does not smell badly, but for the past month I've been keeping him confined to the yard.

#3 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:41 AM

Ethnicity: White

Born and raised where? Born in Ohio, Raised in Florida

Profession: Currently in Sales

Do you consider yourself to be a SPEAKER of Standard English? Y
Do you consider yourself to be a WRITER of Standard English? Y

Do you ever use non-standard English forms in your speech Y or writing Y?
Speech:
a. Dude, that is funny, LOL(I pronounce it as a word and not separate letters)
b. I'm going to brb(I pronounce it as a word and not separate letters)
c.
Writing:
a. lol
b. ttyl
c. brb

in Speech:
a. I hate it when the people with accents make the 'r' sound like an 'a' and visa-versa
b. When people say they need to AXE me something
c.
in Writing:
a. Nothing really, other then if I can't read it.
b.
c.

1) We need to get going early, as there's less cars on the freeway before 6:30. This means you won't be able to lay in bed until 7:00 tomorrow morning.

2) I would of done better on the test if I would have had more time to study.

3) I feel real bad that I forgot my mother's birthday, however I'll send some flowers.

4) Doctors must only give this medication, that it being scarce and expensive, to whomever has the best chance of survival.

5) Any child, whose parents think they learn quicker then the average kid, should be allowed to start preschool early.

6) The best man showed up at last Saturday's wedding in clothes, which he borrowed from my brother and I. He looked good but he couldn't hardly walk in the shoes we lent him.

7) Each of my daughters insist that our old Labrador doesn't smell bad, but for the past month I'm keeping him confined to the yard.

#4 User is offline   Sayonara 

• Puella Magi Sayo Dokidoki-da
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:56 PM

Thank you~ :3 I got more responses thanks to FB but it's great for the input.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users