• You cannot reply to this topic

CA AR-10

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:22 AM

This thread will chronicle all the adventures taking place with this Classic Army AR-10.

The origins of this purchase started at my desire to build a replica of one of my favorite guns, the ArmaLite SuperSASS. Unfortunately, nobody other than Classic Army made a 'standard' AR-10 AEG, and I was kind of wary as the only way to get one new was to order it through ASGI's 'factory direct' program - dropshipped straight from Taiwan, and with zero warranty. I had originally bought this replica back in late February 2019, but had not really had the will to post updates on the project despite constant documentation because of how much of a headache it's been.

Posted Image
Opening up the box from AirsoftGI and here it is. M16 style stock, KAC broomstick vertical foregrip, and not much else.

Posted Image
Pulled back the charging handle to look at the hopup, and immediately broke the spring lol. I was wondering how that was possible until I opened up the receiver a few photos down

Posted Image
Has the modern gas block that I needed for the SuperSASS build

Posted Image
Discolorations underneath the barrel

Posted Image
Ugly welds underneath the black paint/coating of the rail system

Posted Image
Missing forward assist, apparently most AR-10B's do not have it but the SuperSASS does. Emailed ASGI asking if they knew about any compatible upper that had the forward assist (among a bunch of other technical questions) and received no reply.

Posted Image
Breakdown of the rifle is the same as any AR platform AEG

Posted Image
The ASGI listing claims that it comes with some spare parts in lieu of warranty so the end user can fix minor issues with the gun as problems develop. However, the choice of replacement parts does not make sense!

Nylon piston - this is a blue 16t version for normal V2 gearbox, not the yellow 19t version for the V2.5/Extended V2 gearbox that this replica comes with
18:1 gearset - I've heard CA gears are strong enough to handle long term usage, however again they chose to include a standard V2 16t sector gear which will undervolume the V2.5 extended cylinder
Hop unit - Appreciated, but they failed to include the barrel clip for the second unit. Hop units rarely fail, it is the barrel clip that tends to split due to strain of being removed

They also included picatinny rail covers, which are actually quite nice and long. They cover the entire length of the 7" M4A1 RIS

Posted Image
Opening up the chassis let me peek into the operation of the false bolt assembly. For whatever reason, CA decided to reengineer something that wasn't broken in the first place and use a longer and thinner spring than the Marui M4 design. Pulling too hard on the spring stretches it out just like on the M4, but due to the dimensions this happens much more rapidly. I will have to figure out a way to replace the spring with a better one, if possible.

Small break in photo editing due to time constraints, but I would like to mention that I cannot in good faith recommend ASGI or Classic Army as brands or companies to do business with. ASGI charges an astronomical amount of shipping to Hawaii, have not responded to any product inquiries or technical assistance emails I've sent, and seem unwilling to include the proper parts for their own products shipped out to the end user. They are lucky that I intended to completely overhaul this replica, as it would not fire out of the box. The included hi-cap magazine fails to fit snugly in the magwell and falls out while moving around without touching the magazine catch. When held into the magwell in various directions, the gun would fail to feed for whatever reason so I was not able to get more than a couple of shots at a time before a failure to feed or jam.

A friend of mine ordered two of the ASGI Mystery boxes and received two near-identical FDE M4s, one in 14" barrel and the other in 12" barrel configurations. One of them was open box, and was not working despite everything appearing to be in good condition (swapped MOSFET units, tested continuity). The other one did not work upon receiving it either, but that one was an easy (albiet unnecessary on a brand new gun) fix of reattaching a motor terminal that came loose. Anecdotal for sure, but a 2/3 (or 3/3 depending on how you look at it) lemon rate with zero customer service/support is not a good way to retain business. Never going to give them money ever again.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users