• You cannot reply to this topic

TM M4/MTR MWS

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 11 December 2020 - 05:49 PM

I had gotten this awhile back but haven't had much time to work on it until recently. Here's the build log for a Tokyo Marui M4 MWS gas rifle, using Marui's (relatively) new Zet gas system.

Posted Image
Here's a shot of the rifle as I received it. Looks like a BCM party, son

Posted Image
I was having problems with the rifle, all magazines would shoot around 6 rounds before running out of gas and I am no stranger to filling Marui style mags. Took a look at the bolt carrier as it was aftermarket and was surprised to see this spring hanging out.

I believe it's the sear reset mechanism, and it seems to be working fine since the rifle functions properly

Posted Image
Another cleaner shot of the mechanism that I was worried about

Posted Image
Removing the loading nozzle, and with the rear part gone the spring is no longer under tension.

The cross pin holding in the mechanism is also wearing out the aluminum in the bolt carrier. Not a good material choice for it, it is way too soft.

Posted Image
Anyway, starting to open up the rifle for a complete teardown clean. The MWS has a trigger box style FCG, and it is very hard to get in to clean without removing the entire box.

I also am not a fan of the MTR flat trigger that the rifle came with, so I will change it out as well.

Posted Image
Removing the grip first, I will also be changing the furniture completely. 4mm hex driver and the screw is out, careful as the nut is not secured in the lower and will fall out after.

Posted Image
This is how the buffer tube was installed, I am used to the GHK style of installation and this looks a little too far forward but I will leave it alone for now. GHK buffer tube needs to be installed 'behind' the lower, so there is a step funnel for the BCG, buffer, and recoil spring to center down into the buffer tube.

Posted Image
Weighing the stock buffer, it's 43.4g with one weight and plastic spacer installed. I found out that the roll pin was not there, but it seems to work just fine without it as the buffer weight

Posted Image
I also received a 'speed buffer' in the package so I decided to weigh it and huge surprise it is only 24.0g, this should greatly reduce the return to battery time on a given recoil spring.

Posted Image
Anyway, time to start disassembly. First step is to turn the fire selector somewhere between safe and semi and wiggle it out

Posted Image
The trigger pin needs to be punched out, the other two pins are fake. Mag catch is AEG style and also needs to be removed.

There also is supposed to be a securing screw near the back, it appears to be an M3 screw but mine did not come with one. Perhaps this is why the fire selector was difficult to turn as the trigger box bumped out of alignment.

I used a large flathead screwdriver to pry out the trigger box from the front, and then used a punch through the trigger hole to finally get it free.

Posted Image
Almost free of the lower receiver

Posted Image
The fire selector detent is captured thankfully. There is also another mechanism on this side of the trigger box, that mechanism is a shock absorber for the bolt catch.

Posted Image
View of the other side of the trigger box.

Posted Image
View of the top of the trigger box with the hammer fired.

Posted Image
First step is to remove the bolt catch and the detents/springs, be careful as the springs are stronger than you think

Posted Image
Take out three screws in order to separate the trigger box

Posted Image
Flip it over and this is what it looks like inside

Posted Image
There is this metal O-ring on the top (bottom?) half of the shell through where the trigger pin goes. I don't know what it's for right now, but make sure not to lose it

Posted Image
Taking out the first sear

Posted Image
Pulling out the second sear

Posted Image
Removing the trigger itself, there are two parts attached to it

Posted Image
First one removed, the second part needs the bushing removed from it

Posted Image
Valve knocker and spring removed

Posted Image
Hammer finally removed. Hammer spring is still installed, it is very stiff

Posted Image
Underside of hammer, and the roller bearing and pin

Posted Image
Here's all the components with measurements taken, all of the goddamn springs are different sizes and need to be accounted for

Posted Image
Engine degreaser was used to clean off all parts before reassembly, I will manually regrease them rather than rely on the oil from the factory

Posted Image
The trigger box screws are M2.5x10mm, I might replace them with hex head ones as these Philip heads are kind of difficult to take off with the screwdrivers I have

Next we will swap out parts with GunsModify parts to get that nice Colt trigger back.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users