• You cannot reply to this topic

A&K AR-15 from parts

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:47 PM

Picked up a for-parts A&K receiver recently, which I intend to use as the basis for a DSG as I seem to have more of those gearsets around than SSGs these days

Posted Image
Here's the lot as I received it, the previous owner has tried shoving the VFC stock onto a buffer tube which it did not fit and it got stuck.

The receiver is missing the charging handle assembly, dust cover assembly, and AEG buffer tube bolt/washer. It also only came with part of the front takedown pin, it's a screw-secured type but it was missing the screw. I'll have to pick up a receiver accessories kit to make it complete again.

Posted Image
Ten minutes with a punch after removing the buttplate of the stock and the buffer tube is free.

Posted Image
Magazine catch is a screw-through type, not a threaded button type thankfully.

Posted Image
Popping off the upper and surprise the hop unit is a G&G unit which is unfortunately missing its STS. It also came with a Madbull inner barrel, which I might transplant into another gun.

Posted Image
Previous owner...tried. I'm not sure why they put the wires through the buffer tube screw hole and soldered it, meaning it has to be desoldered or cut in order to be removed.

Posted Image
Also had a bunch of electrical tape around the outer barrel and barrel nut, likely because it needed a barrel shim to tighten properly

Posted Image
Gearbox is an Echo 1 v2 so this entire gun is a parts bin special, not that I mind.

Posted Image
What I do mind is seeing this nasty ass grease all over the gears when cracking it open. This needs a deep clean to be useable.

Posted Image
Not sure if the internals are stock, but the cylinder head O-ring was cut when the cylinder was jammed over it.

Posted Image
Ended up cutting the wire as the easiest way to separate the gearbox from the lower. Also in this photo is the packaged up stock parts that I won't be using ever again.

Posted Image
Interesting to note that there is grinding marks on the rear gearbox spacer in order to make room for the wires...when there's the opening for the wires not 5mm below it.

I don't have much time at the moment but once the new year rolls over I should have progress on this project.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users