• You cannot reply to this topic

FE7: Rekka no Ken (US title: Fire Emblem) Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

Forgive the bias in this review, if there is any, as this is one of my all-time favorite games that I've ever played...anyway, on to the review~

Name: Fire Emblem (original: ファイアーエムブレム 烈火の剣)
Genre: Strategy/RPG
Platform: Gameboy Advance
Developer: Intelligent Systems
Publisher: Nintendo
ESRB Rating: E (although if the developer-testers really thoroughly played it through, it would probably be T)

• Gameplay: 10/10
    The gameplay for this series isn't particularly hard to learn, but it takes awhile before you learn the finer points of it, and how to maximize the efficiency of your units. The objectives of each chapter is clearly explained and set before it starts, so you know exactly what you have to do, and what the time limit is (if there is one). The support system was simply amazing to me, and I wonder why more games don't implement this system...it's simply ingenious. It definately changes the way you look at this game once you've gotten it figured out. Other than that, the only things you have to memorize are the weapon triangles, and the cover system (using the terrain to your advantage), and you're pretty much set.

• Controls: 10/10
    The controls are intuitive (unlike FF Tactics...) and simple to use. It's exactly the same as twhe older Fire Emblem games, from the first one on NES. A is the standard 'confirm', B is the standard 'cancel', and R/L are easy to use as well (R is generally 'information', and L is generally 'next'). Also, you can hold down B to move the map cursor faster, and hold down A to make your unit sprites move faster (not farther, unfortunately). Pressing Start during a battle brings up an Advance Wars type minimap, with icons on it denoting where the units are on the battlefield. This whole system could be even easier if the GBA has more buttons, but it doesn't...nevertheless, a very efficient system. The only problem that I can come up with is the fact that it only registers one direction from the Dpad at a time.

• Replay value: 8/10
    I hate to rate it so low, but unless you absolutely love the story like I did, you probably will tire of playing the storyline over and over. To offset this, however, there are 'hard mode' versions of all three stories...unlike other 'hard modes' in other games, this one really is hard...like, properly hard...

• Graphics: 9/10
    The graphics are decent, they look like animated gifs XD but, the battle animations are pretty spectacular for being on the GBA... it's not so much the effects rather than the sharpness and clarity. This isn't no Golden Sun, but it's pretty damn close. You even get cel-shaded CG cutscenes. I think it's remarkable because they haven't overdone the graphics, which aids in the player focusing on the gameplay and storyline/characters instead.

• Character Development: 10/10
    I would've given this more than ten, but then it would null the results of the review. Anyway, the characters are absolutely lovable...each of them have their own backstory AND relationships with other characters, which progresses both upon game completion and support conversation level. It's absolutely amazing that they have thought the characters out this much, and the smoothness and consistency of interaction between them is simply astonishing.

• Storyline: 10/10
    This is one of the few games where I never get bored of the storyline. It's just so engrossing to watch it escalate, and how the characters deal with it. I truly enjoyed the storyline, and was pleasantly surprised by it. To be honest, I simply bought the game due to Marth/Roy being in SSBM, and I wanted to see what Fire Emblem was about. I honestly didn't expect much from it, but it gave me so more than any other game of the genre I've played.

• Sounds/Music: 10/10
    Sound effects are sharp and crisp, and the music is great (especially considering the platform). Its music is orchestral/renaissance type, which suits the genre and the story. The battle sound effects are awesome, it's a great example of oldskool RPG...and the field sfx are kinda funny/cute too, especially when you turn battle animations off. Full 10/10 because I've played through FE7 over twenty times (not kidding) and I've never gotten tired of it. Plus, there's a Sound Room where you can listen to all the tunes whenever you want.

• Multiplayer: 7/10
    Unfortunately, the multiplayer isn't that great...which is a shame. It's a simple 5v5 brawl fest, where you take turns with up to three opponents (either all cpu or all players) and kick the crap out of each other. There are points awarded for doing battle, which is the exp you would have earned if you were fighting in story mode, and the winner can be pre-selected as either the last team standing, or the team with the most points when everyone has been eliminated. To me, this isn't so much a multiplayer versus mode than a simple arena where you can show off your strongest...but nevertheless, it is entertaining, and we had quite a bit of fun with it back in the day. What would make this rating jump instantly to 10/10 would be a randomly-generated (or in-game/user-created) map, where you select a preset number of units, and do a map battle with the opponent, like Advance Wars. If this was how multiplayer in Fire Emblem was, it would instantly become my all time favorite game of all time...

Overall rating: 9.25/10 A

Unfortunately, the multiplayer really brings the score down...if you don't have anyone to play multiplayer with, though, the score is technically 96%! XD Great game nonetheless, I sure enjoyed playing mine over and over and over. People have actually asked me how many times I've beaten the game, and I can't even answer because I lost count after 10. There are a few glitches in the game, but most of them can be exploited and make the game easier. :3

Edit: here's some uber screenshots taken by me:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

what system?

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip