• You cannot reply to this topic

[nerf] Stampede ECS (N-Strike)

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

I was notified by a friend that a local wholesale business had some Nerf blasters on clearance, and that he 'might have seen the yellow one that comes with the shield'. I was in disbelief so after he picked one up I had to go see what else they had. Sure enough, there were three Stampedes left on the shelf so I picked them up. The only other thing they had were Praxis blasters for $9, but I didn't like them enough to buy them even when discounted that steeply.

Posted Image
Here is one of them still in the box.

Posted Image
It's very well packaged, but I thought it came with that forward grip bipod attachment. Oh well

Posted Image
It was quite a bit of stuff in the box, I forgot that it came with 60 darts

Posted Image
Putting everything on the table

Posted Image
The infamous 6-D battery tray

Posted Image
Six screws on the bottom to remove the plate

Posted Image
Tricky tricky

Posted Image
Why Nerf why is that even necessary

More updates to come as they happen. I'm not too sure what I'm going to do with this blaster, but it does look good. Might even use it in the next Nerf War.

Just kidding Rapidstrike I love you

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

I finally got into tearing apart the Stampede to see what it's made of. Here's the photolog of the project so far.

Posted Image
This is the screw pattern for the Stampede. Quite a bitch to take out, although thankfully there are no hidden screws.

Posted Image
There are three types of screws used, and I have similar screws facing all the same way in the photo above

Posted Image
Don't forget to peel off or cut the battery leakage sticker, cause it holds the rear half together

Posted Image
Cracking the shell open

Posted Image
The fire-enable safety switch is wired to the upper half of the blaster

Posted Image
Closeup on the safety

Posted Image
From a different angle

Posted Image
Removing the switch

Posted Image
Detail on the barrel

Posted Image
Looking at the guts

Posted Image
The rear of the blaster

Posted Image
The lock by the trigger is to disable firing when a magazine isn't installed in the blaster.

Posted Image
Closeup of the wiring around the main switch

Posted Image
Magazine bay cover for the wires

Posted Image
Bottom switch that enables firing only if a magazine is inserted

Posted Image
Upper switch that enables firing only if the jam door is all the way forward. This one in particular was a nuisance to me, since the automatic firing of the blaster jiggled the jam door free when I was testing it before modifications.

Posted Image
You have to unscrew the two screws holding the orange piece in before the switch will come out

Posted Image
Removing both of the switches

Posted Image
Open up the wire cover in order to fully remove them

Posted Image
Down to the battery contacts

Posted Image
Pulling all the wires off the shell

Posted Image
You have to remove the mag release mechanism in order to get to the switch underneath

Posted Image
Closeup on the motor

Posted Image
Untangling the wires off the main switch

Posted Image
Wires all gone

Posted Image
This is the actual motor print. Google searching it doesn't give any meaningful results, all I know is that it's a Mabuchi RS-360 sized motor that's not a standard RS-360SH. Its nominal voltage appears to be 6.0v, compared to 3-9v of the 2885, or the 12-25v of the 10500. I'll do some measurements of the motor later.

Posted Image
It's a similar size to this old 2646CM Castle motor designed for 18th scale application. Maybe a motor swap would be easier than I originally thought.

Posted Image
Overall length of the CM26 is a bit longer, but still within the dimensions of the Stampede's original design.

Posted Image
2mm shaft with a 10 tooth pinion. I'm not sure what pitch the teeth are, but it doesn't quite mesh with the 48p stuff I have. Maybe I'll check the Mini-Z pinions next time. I'm sure that the Stampede would benefit from a motor swap, particularly if the blaster is being modified for a person that still wants to use the D batteries for whatever reason.

Posted Image
Removing the piston cover

Posted Image
Now you can see the inner workings of the Stampede

Posted Image
Piston size comparison. My ruined Longshot one is directly above, with the Centurion on the top.

Posted Image
The plunger back cover had this squishy rubber ring on it

Posted Image
Pulling the plunger and spring out. Similar setup to the Longshot

Posted Image
Completely apart

Posted Image
There's a small hole on the plunger face, my guess is it's there to prevent vacuum loading

Posted Image
I soldered an anti-kickback diode onto the motor terminals, this should help against switch contact pitting

Posted Image
Teflon tape helps the plunger seal, and I relubed it with OMW silicone grease

Posted Image
Reinstalling the piston

Posted Image
Soldering in some real wire

Posted Image
Hooked up to the motor

Posted Image
Battery connector installed

Posted Image
Doing some current draw testing, not too bad

Posted Image
2x 2s 6000mah Nanotechs fit inside the battery bay comfortably. This would allow us to run 4s in this configuration if we really wanted to. I highly doubt a single Nerf War would eat up the entire capacity.

Posted Image
Testing the current draw when run on 3s Li-ion, for some reason it went into autofire mode. Not sure if the higher voltage wasn't allowing the plunger to return fully before pulling it back again, or if it was just the catch slipping. I'll do more investigating the next time I crack it open.

Posted Image
Interestingly the current is the same on 2s lipo, I'm not sure why this is the case. I do know that if the firing action is interrupted the motor will consume 9A in near-stall when it starts up mid-compression.

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

I went through a second Stampede, and got around to tearing it apart as well.

Posted Image
At the piston again

Posted Image
This is the rack where the return problems supposedly stem from. The return spring gets misaligned, and the blaster goes into autofire mode.

Posted Image
Shaving off the horn from the breech, all it does is force the jam door closed when the blaster fires.

Posted Image
Three spring comparison, LTR: Stampede return spring, Stampede plunger spring, Handyman SP-9713 spring

Posted Image
The 9713 spring is a little shorter than the stock Stampede spring, but it's very stiff and the stock spring had preload on it when in the piston.

Posted Image
Piston reassembled

Posted Image
A solution to the autofire problem was suggested by putting two springs on the switch body, as the switch doesn't kick back fast enough when the rate of fire is increased.

Posted Image
Everything reassembled

Posted Image
Wiring up the switch

Posted Image
Deans plug out into the battery tray

The double spring on the main switch didn't solve the runaway firing issue, so I will look into replacing and/or reinforcing the area around the catch release slide.

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

I found out that the Xmod pinions mesh very well with the Stampede gearbox, which means that they both are 0.5M pitch (or something very close).

Posted Image
This is the Stampede gearbox straight out of the blaster

Posted Image
Removing the gearbox cover exposes the transmission

Posted Image
Press-fitting on an Xmod 10t pinion since the plastic pinion off of the stock motor didn't fit. Either the stock motor is a 2.3mm shaft, or the Turnigy brushless motor is outside of tolerance (unlikely, since Xmod pinions are 2.0mm bore).

Posted Image
After mounting the motor to the gearbox

Posted Image
Looking out the back of the motor

Posted Image
The motor and gearbox installed

Posted Image
Test setup using my Phoenix ICE ESC, and it works. I just have to wait til a smaller one that I can mount internally arrives, and I can finish up this project.

#5 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

Got some parts in for the project, although in retrospect I could've just done it since the multirotor ESCs from Turnigy can't brake the motor fast enough to prevent the blaster from slamfiring and I had to mount it externally anyway. Sigh.

Posted Image
Here's the ESC hooked up to the servo tester connected to the trigger switch

Posted Image
Drilling metal to make a standoff for the battery, as I will be mounting the servo tester in the battery bay

Posted Image
Hole drilled in the blaster shell

Posted Image
Mounted using a single screw, using the ribs to hold the sides of the angle brace in place

Posted Image
Internal view of the spacing, I will put some padding on there after I finish up everything else

Posted Image
Making a bracket to mount the ESC to

Posted Image
Holes drilled in the shell

Posted Image
Bracket attached

Posted Image
ESC mounted using doublestick tape and zipties

Posted Image
More wire routing magic using old CD player vibration dampeners as grommets

Posted Image
ESC mounted extsernally. There are holes drilled on the side of the silver piece for the brushless motor's wires to exit, and also a hole drilled on the top of the battery bay for the ESC's receiver wire to pass through into the blaster.

I've tested this setup and it seems to work well, at most it only fires one extra round which is acceptable. I'm going to put another safeguard however, and use the blaster on/off switch as a disconnect for the signal wire which will basically shut off the ESC and put it in 'out of range' mode. A few more hours of work and the blaster should be ready for reassembly and testing!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users