• You cannot reply to this topic

[nerf] Cycloneshock (N-Strike Elite)

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

Found a brand new Cycloneshock in Target today, so I picked one up.

Posted Image
It's basically a Mega Strongarm, which is a good thing since the Strongarm is by far the best revolver blaster

Posted Image
It's a large blaster, but it doesn't look oddly proportioned at all.

Posted Image
Near identical on both sides, the beauty of not being AA-powered.

I haven't had a chance to test the distance or modify it, but I'm extremely impressed with this blaster. It feels well built, and I'm loving the bottom grip guard. It's not a grey trigger either, which seems to be the case with several other blasters in the US. The grip on the bottom of the drum is nice, although if it was a tactical rail as well that would've made this blaster perfect. I can't wait to tear this apart and see what the internals look like.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

I've used the Cycloneshock in the last Nerf war we had, and I must say I am completely impressed by the performance. The only thing I need to say about it is that you absolutely have to push the dart all the way down into the chamber in order for it to not jam and render the blaster useless until you can remove the darts. That opening in the side looks like a way for it to not get jammed, but for whatever reason the dart still makes contact on the lower bit of plastic. I may do some dremeling later in order to hopefully improve the reliability, but that comes second to the internals modification.

Cycloneshock Pros:
- Looks very nice
- Revolver chambers 6 and not less because it's Mega (or crappy like the Spectre)
- Solid construction
- Works in the rain (as we found out in the last war)
- Priming action feels nice
- Extremely short but satisfactorily heavy trigger pull

Cycloneshock Cons:
- Very easy to get a jam if not reloaded properly
- Revolver cylinder does not open outwards to aid reloading like in all previous revolver-type blasters
- Small quibble but the return spring on the slide is a bit noisy

This is quickly becoming my favorite pistol type blaster, I only wish that they had a tactical rail on both the top and the bottom and a bit more clearance for the jamming issue. One of these is potentially fixable, so we shall see how it goes when the project gets there.

For now, I disassembled the blaster to take a look at its internals and perhaps do some spring swapping.

Posted Image
Here's the blaster on the operating table

Posted Image
Flip it over and you have access to the relatively large amount of screw holes

Posted Image
There's four on the slide that need to come off first, you can see the last one's access hole to the top left of the slide. Note that the middle one on the bottom is very small, you might have to use a jewel type screwdriver in order to get it out.

Posted Image
Four screws out

Posted Image
Slide comes off in two pieces as usual. Note the return spring hooked onto the post there

Posted Image
Removing the slide reveals two more screws that need to be removed (second one is in the hole right above the plunger end)

Posted Image
Screw pattern, there are only three long ones and they are at the top ends of the blaster

Posted Image
Removing the shell yields internals that look a lot like the Maverick's...but better.

Posted Image
Revolver cylinder comes right out with no fuss, there is only one air restrictor this time and it's on the piston itself. I've never disassembled a Strongarm yet, so I'm not sure if this is a new design.

Posted Image
Looking at the guts, that tooth is the air restrictor

Posted Image
This is the business end of the blaster, I'm not quite sure how the priming mechanism works but the plunger is segmented and telescopes. More on that later when I figure it out.

Posted Image
Here's the trigger, there's a mechanism on the back of it but I'm not sure what locks there are and it certainly hasn't prevented me from doing anything so I think I'll leave them all in this time

Posted Image
Here's a closeup of the plunger face, single O-ring as usual but there is a thick rubber cushion at the front. Note that you can also see the pin inside the plunger rod, the smaller diameter rod is able to travel inside the larger diameter one

Posted Image
A different angle of the plunger face. They didn't align the two from the factory, but that was easily fixed.

Posted Image
Disassembly of the plunger, there is a D-cut in the top so the orange part can only go on one way. Interesting

Posted Image
Left to right: Cycloneshock spring, Nite Finder spring, Longshot spring. It appears to be in the range of the Alpha Trooper Elite and Retaliator size springs, I will take measurements just to be sure.

There's a lot to do on this blaster even though it's near-perfect straight out of the box. Updates to come as they happen, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate has been eating up most of my life...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users