Digital.Complex: Anime.......a Japanese art form or purely pop culture? - Digital.Complex

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime.......a Japanese art form or purely pop culture? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   tsukihito 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:46 AM

Hello there!! heres an excerpt from my english 100 paper about anime.........

"Anime, or Japanese animation, is very popular in Japan and is rapidly gaining popularity in America. While Anime is celebrated in Japan as a legitimate art form, in America it is stereotypically viewed as children’s cartoons or adult films filled with violence and heavy sexual content. Although violence and sexual content is part of a genre of Anime, if one were to look past the stereotypes they would see that Anime is as expressive as any other art form, and covers a wide variety of genres like action, science fiction, romance and comedy. Susan J. Napier, a teacher of Japanese literature and culture at the University of Texas, Austin, defines anime as, “a medium in which distinctive visual elements combine with an array of generic, thematic, and philosophical structures to produce a unique aesthetic world (Napier 10).” Anime is also a great medium for learning about Japanese culture, values, traditions, language, and addressing social and cultural issues in modern day Japan."

Would you agree with the view that anime is an art form, or that it is purley a form of pop culture, made to entertain the masses and nothing else? I'm curious to see everyone's views on this subject, and get a good otaku chat brewin!

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:22 PM

I think it is an art form, mainly because it has undergone changes and evolution just like the others. Sure, it's been somewhat obscure in the beginning (especially over here in the US), but it has grown to encompass a whole lot of genres and target age groups. It's also a lot more interesting for me personally, as there aren't limits of bad acting or low-budget (to an extent...) holding a series back, as has been the case for a few otherwise-brilliant movies or tv series.

It's interesting, as there are people who support it and people who would rather not see it. That's what art is though, not everyone will like it. It mighth ave been a sort of niche culture in the past, but right now I think it's maturing into an acceptable art medium whether people like it or not.

opinion: it's far better than most the crap that's on tv nowadays, at any rate. Why oh why were reality shows invented....

#3 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:45 PM

hmm...that's a tough one, I think it is an art form too. it's the same as everything else, I wonder why people think it's just for certain people? there's plnety of different styles and ganres like tsukihito said, same as everything else.

#4 User is offline   Sayonara 

• Puella Magi Sayo Dokidoki-da
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

Anime, the way I see it is an art form that has been around for ages. It's another type of expression that showcases not only children stories or of the such but would reflect political problems, psychological issues, sociological issues, and possibly subject areas that matter in life. That's just my cup of tea though.

#5 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:15 PM

howd your paper go tsukihito? classes are over already right?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users