Digital.Complex: [nerf] Nitron (Vortex) - Digital.Complex

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[nerf] Nitron (Vortex)

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

  • D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 2,521
  • Joined: 18-October 05

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

So Itoe gave me a Nerf Nitron to fix up. As far as I know it was stock, but at first I wasn't even sure if it worked or not cause of the large amount of safety interlocks.

Posted Image
front end

Posted Image
dat ass

Posted Image
first step is to remove the tip, which is made of a very soft plastic (vinyl?)

Posted Image
that's a lot of screws

Posted Image
cracking the shell off

Posted Image
the mess that are the physical trigger interlocks

Posted Image
the switches they used here look more robust than the ones in the RS and Rayven, not actually sure how much current they're rated but they are a lot bigger.

Posted Image
the magazine lock

Posted Image
the magazine-in electrical lock

Posted Image
there were more electrical locks at the top, to make sure the magazine was inserted the whole way

Posted Image
spring loaded catch for the buttstock magazine storage

Posted Image
this piece connected the front and rear parts of the disc jam clear lever.

Posted Image
there's a screw hidden under the magazine lock switch pcb.

Posted Image
the rear half comes in two parts, for ease of access to the flywheel motor.

Posted Image
looking at the blaster with the front shell removed.

Posted Image
gutted the internals

Posted Image
looking underneath the flywheel and magazine holster

Posted Image
stock battery contacts

Posted Image
pcb on the motor for the flywheel.

Posted Image
the stock harness after being removed from the blaster shell

Posted Image
the rear motor, there's some sort of IC attached to it.

Posted Image
cleaned up all the pcbs by removing the stock wires

Posted Image
laying everything out for inventory

Posted Image
gearbox motor pcb

Posted Image
flywheel motor pcb

Posted Image
part number for the IC. It's a motor controller chip

Posted Image
cracking open the gearbox

Posted Image
pulling out all of the reduction gears

Posted Image
drilling new holes for screws to the motor. the motor was basically floating, the only thing preventing it from twisting were the plastic cutouts in the rear for the terminals.

Posted Image
drilling complete

Posted Image
M1.5 screws installed

Posted Image
gears replaced

Posted Image
gearbox put back together

Posted Image
cracking open the battery compartment

Posted Image
how it looks with the rear cover removed

Posted Image
pulling out the battery spacers

Posted Image
breaking down the plastic dividers

Posted Image
I can very nearly fit my old E-Revo lipos in here :D/>

Posted Image
cleaned up the edges a little bit, ready to go back in

Posted Image
box put back together, gearbox screwed on

Posted Image
testing the pusher circuit with a 2s lipo. Unsurprisingly it pulls very little, as these motors are probably rated for 12v (stock runs at 9v)

Posted Image
a little more for the flywheel on 2s

Posted Image
using a Rapidstrike switch here, as they are known to be able to handle the twin 130 flywheel motors without much problems.

Posted Image
retesting the motor's straight current draw with a 3s li-ion pack

Posted Image
I made spaghetti

Posted Image
I used a bit too much wire for something, so I needed to coil it up

Posted Image
used the nonfunctional limit switch pcb as a plate to hold the wires in place.

Posted Image
Fucking genius

Posted Image
gearbox limit switch wiring

Posted Image
view of the gearbox motor

Posted Image
routing of the flywheel motor wiring

Posted Image
testing with my 3s li-ion pack and the wattmeter

Posted Image
real-world results after firing 5 discs (and losing one).

More photos to come in a bit after I put it back together (and possibly test with a 4s lipo).
0

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

  • D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 2,521
  • Joined: 18-October 05

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Okay, I finished everything.

Posted Image
putting it back together. I didn't realize that the interior barrel piece is actually two pieces until they fell apart

Posted Image
reinstalled the magazine electronic lock to provide tension on the magazine and make it less likely to fall out by itself

I then proceeded to fit in the 4s lipo I formerly used in my E-Revo. The results were amazing, and actually made the Nitron a viable Nerf War candidate :P Itoe volunteered to be on the receiving end, and took a video of it on his Instagram:

http://instagram.com/p/iGQODbEe0e/#

I actually took video at the same time from a different point of view (you can see my camera in the left at the end of his clip), and here it is



Posted Image
The real-world results after a four round burst. This blaster is definitely not as thirsty as the dual-flywheel Elites, which is good considering how out of hand it could've been if this thing was drawing 10+A at 16v. It's also amazing how much impact these near-weightless discs can have, although I suppose it's to be expected when your blaster is drawing nearly 4x the power than it does in stock configuration.
0

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

  • D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 2,521
  • Joined: 18-October 05

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

The Turnigy 4s 5000mAh hardcase fits near perfectly in the Nitron's rear bay. The cover can't close, but there's not much wiggle room.

Posted Image
fitment

Posted Image
with some careful wire tucking it's nearly perfect. 5000mAh is way too big of a capacity for this thing.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users