• You cannot reply to this topic

[nerf] Barrel modifications

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

So I got a Longstrike barrel in the mail the other day, with the idea of attaching it to one of my blasters (wasn't sure which). I liked how it looked on the Rayven, but what I really needed was a barrel extension on my Rapidstrike to prevent it from spraying too badly.

Posted Image
I was using a clear Recon barrel on my RS, and the Rayven does look good with the LStr barrel.

Posted Image
I tried switching the barrels around, and surprise, the LStr barrel doesn't fit on the RS.

Posted Image
this is strange. I thought this defeated the purpose of having a fully modular attachment system. For whatever reason, the LStr barrel was a lot wider than the Recon/Retaliator and it butts up against a reinforcement spine inside the RS attachment point. Time to crack this thing open.

Posted Image
Removing the outer plate first. Not strictly necessary, but you avoid getting scuff marks on the plate when you remove the screws that hold the thing together.

Posted Image
the previous owner had messed up the flip-up sight pretty bad, nearly the entire plastic had stress marks on it. I didn't see myself using it, so I removed it as you will see in the later photos.

Posted Image
don't forget to take off this screw like I did.

Posted Image
finally apart. I can finally remove the flip up sight.

Posted Image
it had around 5mm of space before it could lock in place. I didn't have enough hands to take a photo of myself measuring it.

Posted Image
This is after a rough cut of the barrel material using my dremel. Note that the inner pipe thing doesn't separate from the outer orange barrel on this extension.

Posted Image
I cleaned it up using the sanding drum and a metal file

Posted Image
now it sits inside the frame. It used to be flush with the attachment lock

Posted Image
...and sure enough, it fits. Put it all back together and we're done.

Posted Image
The lines don't quite match, but it does make the RS long. With the stock fully extended, it's only a couple inches short of the Centurion.

I'll post other modifications to barrel attachments I might do in the future in this thread.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users