• You cannot reply to this topic

losing interest in gaming? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

I don't know exactly what's happening to me, I feel as though I'm losing an interest in video gaming. The only games I seem to play these days are ones I've played for years...or at least for a long time. IIDX (although not in awhile), Geometry Wars, Forza series, Fire Emblem, SSBM, DOA...all of these are ones I've obsessed about at one point or another in my life (probably during high school) but are the only reason I play games at all these days. The newest game I've played is Street Fighter 4...it's fun, but not so fun that I want to buy my own copy and figure out every aspect of the game, like what happened when I played MMBN3 for the first time.

Partly to blame I think is the graphics of newer games. Developers seem to think that sweet graphics is the most important aspect of a game, which is why I shudder when I find out another 2D classic has gone and rendered itself 3D. SF4 is a prime example, and so is FE:DS. Street Fighter series made its name as a 2D fighter, similarly how Fire Emblem has always been a '2.5'D strategey game. The GC/Wii ones were brilliantly done, as was the rendering in Melee/Brawl of the characters, but sprite animations will always be smoother than wire frames.

Also, some of the games I've considered getting are plagued with other problems, ranging from a control setup that requires s lot getting used to + a rediculously short story (Mirror's Edge), disappointing gameplay (Brawl), or other things that subtract from the whole gaming experience. The only games I've played new during 2008 and really liked was GoW2 and Forza 2 (both having drawbacks compared to their first installment but are still fun enough with their delivery that it remained just as, or more, fun than the original), and Little Big Planet. LBP did not have a radical gameplay style (similar to all the oldskool Megaman games, for example) but the sheer amount of interactivity and unbounded exploration you can do is staggering.

The other thing that I think has me looking elsewhere for entertainment is the whole hype about new games, and then they turn out to be way less than they made themselves out to be. Halo 3, Mirror's Edge, GTA, etc... I prefer playing great games that did not spend much of their money on advertising, such as Geometry Wars, Pokemon gen iv, Fire Emblem, MMBN, Golden Sun, etc. I know that these are all older games, but this goes with my general tendancy not to play new games very much.

I have a few specific niches for games, but I doubt that it's seriously deviant from the general public's, aside from racing simulators. I enjoy an FPS, TPS, shmup, fighter, strategy, RPG, racing/drifting or music game just as much as anybody, but perhaps my standards are higher for the quality of the game. What I'm trying to say is that I doubt that I'm the only person who likes the kinds of games I do, but for some reason my interest is falling.

Perhaps I'm just sad that I find that for me, games are just a means of passing the time...isn't that what they were designed to be, from the 80's? No! A great video game does not only pass time, it consumes time. It makes sure you come back as soon as you can and play it more and more, and you still aren't satisfied with just beating the game, it's so much fun to completely unlock or find everything it has to offer. A great game has subculture, merchandise, die-hard fans that study and know the masterpiece story or certain tricks the developers added silently. I just wish a new game could come out that makes me feel that way again.

#2 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:35 AM

Same here. I have lost interest in gaming altogether. One game I did like playing for a long time was WoW. now I hardly play too much video games.

#3 User is offline   Enoesiw 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

View PostShonen, on Apr 2 2009, 10:30 AM, said:

Perhaps I'm just sad that I find that for me, games are just a means of passing the time...isn't that what they were designed to be, from the 80's? No! A great video game does not only pass time, it consumes time. It makes sure you come back as soon as you can and play it more and more, and you still aren't satisfied with just beating the game, it's so much fun to completely unlock or find everything it has to offer. A great game has subculture, merchandise, die-hard fans that study and know the masterpiece story or certain tricks the developers added silently. I just wish a new game could come out that makes me feel that way again.

View PostVejida, on Apr 3 2009, 05:35 AM, said:

Same here. I have lost interest in gaming altogether. One game I did like playing for a long time was WoW. now I hardly play too much video games.

As Vegida has alluded to, you just described WoW. But I'll leave it at that. (I'm personally a die-hard fan of the Warcraft Series, but that's me)

Your opinion does not go un-warranted. I watch The Escapist Magazine - Zero Punctuation a lot and the writer says something similar in one of his critiques. I believe it was the one for the end of the 08 year. But he makes a good point, developers are at the point where you can't upgrade graphics very much more, so once they get a hang of the new graphics systems, they can move onto making better, more interesting stories. This may be an idle hope, but it's still a possibility.

As for the whole disinterest in games, I think it's just a symptom of growing up. The older you get the pickier your tastes are, you've seen the games that work, you know the types of games you like, and as you very well described, you can compare new games to the ones of the old times. This is something that an exceedingly new generation (thanks to the wii) does not have in common with you, so companies can make junk sequels and people will still buy them.

#4 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:54 AM

tru dat enoesiw! I think you are right.

I loved all the blizzard games really. and I still do, and they do good. I mean I have a lvl 80 2 weeks after it was released, and already had my epic flying skills and a couple thousand gold in the bank, before it released. Once I got my Naxx gear, there is not too much to do other than end game stuff and PVP. So I stopped playing that until they come out with a new patch or something. Plus i kindof needed the money or I would still be playing. Just so I can go into horde captials killing flagged players then vanishing :P

anyway, back to the topic. There are some games that have come out that I enjoy playing, but mainly for the wii.

Harvest Moon. The wii version is just as fun as the old SNES version. except they should have kept it 2dish as the 3d camera sucks and is annoying. you can't move the camera around manually, which would have been nice to be able to do.

I've played certain games such as fiesta and 12 Sky

I also played Dungeon Runners for awhile. All good games until around level 20. It gets boring. But it still can be a good time killer :)

#5 User is offline   Enoesiw 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:58 PM

View PostVejida, on Apr 10 2009, 04:54 AM, said:

tru dat enoesiw! I think you are right.

I loved all the blizzard games really. and I still do, and they do good. I mean I have a lvl 80 2 weeks after it was released, and already had my epic flying skills and a couple thousand gold in the bank, before it released. Once I got my Naxx gear, there is not too much to do other than end game stuff and PVP. So I stopped playing that until they come out with a new patch or something. Plus i kindof needed the money or I would still be playing. Just so I can go into horde captials killing flagged players then vanishing :P

anyway, back to the topic. There are some games that have come out that I enjoy playing, but mainly for the wii.

Harvest Moon. The wii version is just as fun as the old SNES version. except they should have kept it 2dish as the 3d camera sucks and is annoying. you can't move the camera around manually, which would have been nice to be able to do.

I've played certain games such as fiesta and 12 Sky

I also played Dungeon Runners for awhile. All good games until around level 20. It gets boring. But it still can be a good time killer :)

MMOs in general are good time killers.

If you have the money, they just released 3.1: The Secrets of Ulduar for WoW.

I played Outspark for a while, it was fun, but it was also kind of annoying. Too many people were always on. Some were bots. The instance queue was bad and the instance itself was wierd. I only played until like level 7 though...

There's a new MMO that's being produced, it's like 7 years in the making now, that I'll post more on if I can find it again. It looks interesting, it's completely open ended and there's no "instancing" involved. There's also no leveling so it's supposedly purely skill based (although I could see gear playing a BIG role in it). You play a role in building the world. You might want to check it out if you don't mind mmorpgfps kind of games.

#6 User is offline   katsu 

• twelveAM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

Or you can just find a good fighter to take up all your time. SF4 [mind you this is one of the most difficult games out there you'll find], SSBM, SSBB [if you're in just for casual play], Tekken [this one...well, it's rather easy compared to SF, but I still get raped].

Iddddk I find myself losing interest too. The only games I find I want to play are usually sequels or games I've been a fan of for a long time.

#7 User is offline   Rocky Trigger 

• PipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:42 AM

Maybe you need to try Killzone 2 for the PS3. :P Best FPS on the PS3 and can compete against Gears of War 2. Or how 'bout some old school games you never played? Did you play Metal Gear Solid 1?

As for me, games have been good to me. Persona 3 and Persona 4 for the PS2 are refreshing J-RPGs because they stray away from the cliches that make the usual J-RPG boring nowadays. Metal Gear Solid 4 for the PS3 is an amazing shooter/stealth game. Valkyria Chronicles is a refreshing PS3 game that combines an S-RPG with a shooter.

Why do you think Sharpmouse and I love the PS3 so much? :P

#8 User is offline   katsu 

• twelveAM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:09 AM

I did. I didn't like it very much. Played GoW2. It was fun, but I don't have access to a 360. MGS1 was good fun.

#9 User is offline   Enoesiw 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

SF4 is fun. It's fun and it's pretty intuitive. I haven't played a fighter for YEARS (SSBM doesn't count, at least it isn't the same type as SF4) and I picked up SF4 very quickly. I'm still pretty bad, but alas, I have to play it on other people's systems. :)

The big difference between Fighters and MMORPGs is the reward. In an MMO, your reward is more tangible; you have gear/levels/skills/rare items to show how much time and dedication you've put into the game. In a fighter, you just pwn everyone with your perfected combos and counters, and impress them with your unlocked material.

For me, fighters are a little hard to stay in because it becomes repetitive very fast and is usually very boring unless you're playing with people of/near your skill level. Mine is generally kinda low, since I don't play them as much.

But yeah, games are becoming less and less interesting in general as companies opt for better graphics over better storylines.

#10 User is offline   BloodyBandage 

• Pip

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:58 AM

perfectly normal really. We all grow into different phases of our lives and want different things...I wouldn't sweat it; usually you will get the urge to play some games after not playing for awhile and jump right back into it. It's healthy to take breaks and have "droughts" of not playing many games.

#11 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

hm I suppose that's true. This is by far the longest drought there's ever been for me...although that seems to be coming to an end :D Rocky told me to check out Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga and that's taking up a lot of time right now. I need to get back into FE:PoR soon...

But anyway, if you have a DS, you should check out SRTOGS. It's really fun, although I agree with Rocky that there's a lot of boobs jokes lol

#12 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:52 AM

video games

#13 User is offline   marmaldegirl16 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:29 AM

completely random but it applies to this thread, I just recently got back into games when my boyfriend let me borrow KH2 (great game) about a month ago. I actually beat it 2 nights ago and am currently working on FFX-2. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I find a nice RPG soothes the soul every once in awhile and if no new ones are out, the old suffice amazingly.

#14 User is offline   Enoesiw 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

View Postmarmaldegirl16, on 29 May 2009 - 05:29 AM, said:

completely random but it applies to this thread, I just recently got back into games when my boyfriend let me borrow KH2 (great game) about a month ago. I actually beat it 2 nights ago and am currently working on FFX-2. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I find a nice RPG soothes the soul every once in awhile and if no new ones are out, the old suffice amazingly.

It really does. My problem is I need to 100% the game or I feel like I haven't beaten it yet. Thank the CycloDS that it has built in cheats :P

BTW, if you ever need a game to suck about 48 hours of your life away, Pokemon always does the trick. For some reason the replay value on that game is ridiculously high. Like, ridiculously.

#15 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:39 PM

Okay, so I lied. Super Robot Taisen is just too good, thanks Rocky. lol

Radiant Dawn is also a pretty epic game, although progress is slow since I can only play when nobody else is over at skidz's place haha. otherwise it's just SFIV, T5 or IIDX.

Speaking of which, Empress has a release date for October. No special editions yet though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users