• You cannot reply to this topic

Kindle Fire repair Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

I obtained a Kindle Fire a few weeks ago for free because it was all sorts of internally broken. The micro USB port was destroyed by what looks like someone forcibly inserting the cable in the wrong direction, and it refused to turn on even after attempting the full reset (no LED out of the power button).

Posted Image
Back of the Kindle Fire

Posted Image
Front view. Surprisingly the majority of the tablet was in good condition, no major scratches or scuffs anywhere

Posted Image
Prying the rear cover off

Posted Image
Look into its guts

Posted Image
Pulled out the motherboard for closer inspection. Nothing seems water damaged, cracked, heat damaged or otherwise visibly broken (aside from the USB port).

Posted Image
Closer look at the damage, it really is destroyed.

Posted Image
I desoldered the USB port and tried to do the reset thing again and it still didn't work. Battery was reading around 3.6v so it's not like it was completely dead and had to be recharged. At this point I decided to order a replacement motherboard for it, since the damage was in all likelihood irreperable without more specialized tools than I have.

Posted Image
New mobo came in, $15 shipped off of ebay.

Posted Image
Not precisely the same model number, but all of the components seemed identical so it might have just been a batch stamp

Posted Image
Look at the rear of the mobo

Posted Image
The new mobo came with a USB port but it needed to be soldered on.

Posted Image
Prepping the contacts with fresh leaded (ie. better) solder, letting the flux really get in there and clean it up

Posted Image
Minor heat damage on the rear due to me using the reflower manually and in close proximity (lots of sensitive stuff in the area).

Posted Image
Iron-soldered the supports into the motherboard, so the contacts don't have to be load bearing

Posted Image
Testing it out without plugging it in first yields this result. Clean tablet with some battery life left.

Posted Image
This is the tablet as it currently is, I'm using it mostly for gaming.

I'm not complaining since I essentially got a Kindle Fire for <$20, but the modified Android OS is really annoying. Almost no thirdparty apps that I use on my phone (Newegg, Ebay, Youtube, even MX Player) but there are some good things on the Amazon App Marketplace.

ps. The Kindle Fire only supports two simultaneous touches at once so Jubeat becomes very frustrating at higher difficulties

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users