• You cannot reply to this topic

Llamma.com Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:51 PM

Time for another review, more specifically in the video game console modding market. Despite its unusual/strange name, this site is a goldmine.

Company: Llamma Corp.
Based in: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA (contact page here)
Products: Game console case modding supplies, some pc supplies and random lighting products (limited modchip supplies, but no modchips)
  • Prices: 9/10
    Not always the cheapest on the net, but consistently very good value. They carry a lot of things that other vendors don't, and I like the pricing. For the pc stuff, it's generic things but at a good price. Llamma is pretty much the Newegg of the console modding world. You may find something for cheaper elsewhere, but very rarely does it have the sales pedigree of Llamma.

• Product quality: 9/10
    Llamma usually carries great stuff, with the occasional exception. As far as I know, they stock things both by their own doing and by customer requests. I can't vouch for their services, but the stuff they stock is great. Big names that they stock are Logisys, XCM, Pelican, Evercool and all the OEM products.

• Selection: 9/10
    This would have been a 10, but they don't stock modchips (probably for legality issues). This normally would hurt a vendor a lot, but the Llamma makes up for it with great selection of other neat stuff, both hardware replacements/mods, performance upgrades or tools. Yes, tools. The Llamma carries more tools for sale than any other console modding shop I've seen. Also, they stock a lot of things for everything they mod (except the Wii and PS3, they just have cases)...although, keep in mind that Llamma started out as Xbox-only, then decided to stock other things. Now, they have moved onto the Xbox 360 modding scene, but keep support for the older system.

• Shipping: 8/10
    Shipping costs are an average in the industry, but it's very well packed and comes fairly quickly. They offer USPS and FedEx.

• Documentation: 10/10
    Llamma is not only a shop, but a knowledge base of modding. In fact, the shop only exists on the side to help others with what the Head Llamma does full-time: crack consoles and get them modded. The Llamma has experience in Xbox/X360, PSP, PS3 and Wii...much more bases covered than anyone else I know. He keeps up to date with the hardware repair aspect, as well as news about new developments in the modchip world. Most of the updates on his homepage are for new products, but there's a lot of info if you want to dig around. Plenty of tutorials and links for any newbie to the scene to reference.

• Website design: 9/10
    Mostly everything in the main site is in html, so it loads quickly and it's simple. The shopping cart system is run by osCommerce, which is an excellent platform (except for its slightly retarded reviews system). The only problem I have is that the 'enlarge picture' links in the shop mostly just link to an image that's only about 10% bigger than the original lol.
Overall rating: 9/10 A-

Llamma is the one place to go for your hardware supply needs if you're into console modding. It's very reliable, as it is a real shop with an office in Minneapolis. They ship fast and pack well, what more can you want? The only problem I have is that they don't stock modchips, so you'll have to go elsewhere (most of the big-name modchip retailers are based in Canada, so it takes longer to ship). Highly recommended!

#2 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:01 AM

wow, great reviews form you shonen... could you post up how you get your post to look like that? looks neat...

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

I thought it sounded strange too, but all of the business I've done there solidified my hesitance into loyalty. I don't really go anywhere else for stuff I need for console modding, unless the Llamma doesn't carry it. And even then, the other shops don't really do it as well as the Llamma.

I was thinking of posting up a template as well, I'll make it a sticky.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users