• You cannot reply to this topic

[project] E-Revo Beast Edition

#31 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

I've got some capacitors and 6.5mm CC Bullets in the mail. Soon the ERBE will be back! In the meantime, I was thinking of ways of making the XL2 both 4s2p and 8s1p compatible without spending a small fortune in CC Bullets and making a rats nest of adapters. This is what I came up with:

Posted Image

This way, I can plug in the cap bank when I run 8s and not have two bullets flopping around at full battery voltage. I figured that it won't need extra capacitors when running at 4s since it will have roughly half the internal resistance, twice the number of connectors (half the external resistance) and I will also be running the balance taps during operation to minimize the amount of constructive interference ripple current from side to side.

#32 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Posted Image
CC Bullets came in, after an astonishing 2-day turnaround with USPS

Posted Image
I decased the XL2, and found that it uses the same heatsink as the XL1 (and probably the HV160).

Posted Image
the fan isn't screwed to the heatsink anymore, it slides into a pocket in the plastic shell.

Posted Image
the XL2 came with preinstalled 8.0mm CC Bullets. I now have three females laying around in case I need them...

Posted Image
I pushed out the fan and discovered it used the exact same parts as the XL1

Posted Image
reusing old parts first

Posted Image
speaking of reusing, here's the 6.5mm bullets off the XL1 that I'll be reusing

Posted Image
quick out of order shot of the reassembled shell

Posted Image
peeled off the bottom decal, as I suspect my adhesives will work better applied straight to the source

Posted Image
now there's a familiar sight.

Posted Image
I can reuse the one screwhole.

Posted Image
mockup in actual placement

Posted Image
this ferrite choke was a little close to the ESC so I needed to scoot it down some

Posted Image
that's better

Posted Image
still got these :mrgreen:

Posted Image
some brand placement

Posted Image
ready to solder

I ran out of both time and 8AWG heatshrink last night, so I was only able to finish the ESC. My lipos are half finished but I need to buy more shrink before I can safely test it out. The capacitors are still in the mail, so those will be made into a cap bank as soon as they get here. The difficult part is figuring out where I'm gonna put it...

#33 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Posted Image
making the ESC power wire taps

Posted Image
some difficult soldering later. It took about four minutes of heating before the wire soaked up solder, this included both an iron and my reflower.

Posted Image
really sticky pads from I think my old Novak ESC that I never used

Posted Image
mounted once more

Posted Image
single M3x6mm screw

Posted Image
batteries in

Posted Image
and plugged in. It works!

Posted Image
now, onto the capacitor bank. These are the ones I got from eBay, Panasonic FC series 1000uF 50v.

Posted Image
a closeup before I get to work

Posted Image
taking cues from good ol' NiMH pack construction, I glued them together first. Not with Shoe Goo, but regular hotglue.

Posted Image
I filled in the bottoms pretty good

Posted Image
the latticework

Posted Image
slightly modified the lattice once I figured out that a central-mount will yield lower internal resistance than a lipo-style end mount. Once that was done I tested it. Nothing blew up! Hooray!

Posted Image
after confirming that they work and once again being scared by a gigantic plug-in spark, I potted the leads with hotglue.

Posted Image
final product.

Posted Image
I found a good mounting space, but unfortunately it will cover these decals.

Posted Image
test fitting. I put some electrical tape around the caps to hold them together and give it some form of abrasion resistance.

Posted Image
another sticky pad from an ESC somewhere

Posted Image
all mounted up

Posted Image
and it works.

Posted Image
another shot of the wire management

Posted Image
closeup on the XL2

Posted Image
body on

Posted Image
she's back!

#34 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Posted Image

I did a short run yesterday in between periods of rain. I wasn't able to fully unload it since I was running it on the street in front of my house, but the numbers look promising. Most important at the moment is the ripple current, which is something in the order of 4% of the input voltage. :D

#35 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

I was jumping with the ERBE a couple weeks ago and the rear suspension arm exploded. It was jimmy-rigged so we could keep running it but I figured since I had some recent downtime due to weather I should probably fix it up properly.

Posted Image
straight from the field. I didn't have a short enough M3 screw on me at the time so an extra long one had to do in a pinch. Apparently from the damage, some part of the wheel/tire comes into contact with the suspension arms, or it could just be the RPM material being ultra flexy to begin with. :S Also, you can see that the screw hole for the middle ride height setting has been torn out, which is exactly what happened

Posted Image
Fixed with a proper length screw, and I also used another one to secure the loose end. I did this on both sides, hopefully it prevents another disaster since the material on both sides of the ball link mount seem to be threaded. Also, you can tell how old the parts are on this thing since there's no steel ring around the pillow ball mounts. I wonder if they can be retrofitted?

Posted Image
The ESC tape wasn't strong enough and I found the MXL2 flopping around the chassis after the last time I ran it. I went to Home Depot and bought some 20lb outdoor mounting tape to use instead. If this doesn't hold it on properly, there is also some 50lb tape I could use...

#36 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

I finally got my hands on the Hot Racing double up slipper clutch system. I installed it during an RC-wrenching night, although I am still only using three pads.

Posted Image
blurry shot of the ERBE. I decided to remove the XL2 since it was the easiest noninvasive way of accessing the clutch

Posted Image
all the parts out

Posted Image
weighing the original part

Posted Image
weighing in the upgraded version. Come to think of it, I should've done these as side by side photos.

Posted Image
weighing the stock part

Posted Image
interestingly, the HR one is lighter.

Posted Image
another shot of the chassis I took for some reason

Posted Image
all the stuff side by side

Posted Image
putting a new 40t spur gear on the new clutch assembly

Posted Image
time to put on the pads

Posted Image
the pads mounted are the Hot Racing extra long ones, and as you can see you cannot fit six pads while using the extended ones even if the other three are standard length.

Posted Image
to reset the wear I flipped em over

Posted Image
and then magically got the bearing in without removing the spur gear that I just put on >_>;;

Posted Image
back on the input shaft

Posted Image
ready to go

Also, my new lipos finally came in nearly a week after their ETA. They are slightly better rated than the old set, but gave me a difficult situation...

Posted Image
25-50C isn't bad, but 35-70C is better

Posted Image
ready to use em for the first time

Posted Image
aaaaaand they don't quite fit. Damn you hobbyking. ):

#37 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

I modified the ERBE's chassis to accept these larger lipos, and even with the modifications it's a tight fit.

Posted Image
cut outs in the chassis and removed those black vent things

Posted Image
did a minor teardown, inspecting the driveline. a lot of transmission scuffing on the bottom skidplate

Posted Image
moderate damage to the driveshaft dogbone

Posted Image
drilled some small 7/32" holes in the chassis to route some zipties through

Posted Image
did to all corners of the battery

Posted Image
bottom view

Posted Image
so I could use some RC Monster battery tiedown straps that I got a few years ago

Posted Image
everything mounted nicely and zipties trimmed

Posted Image
it looks nearly the same...not

Posted Image
view from the other side

Posted Image
shot with the body on after the mod.

#38 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Posted Image
did a heavy run this weekend, and an hour into the day I run into this

Posted Image
the wheel nut had came off and more or less seized right here. Not knowing that it was stuck, I grabbed it to loosen it and it burned the shit out of my finger.

Posted Image
the wheel itself melted, the inside is stripped of course.

Posted Image
doesn't quite fit onto the hex anymore.

for now I'm using my truggy tires on the E-Revo, I'm looking around for a set of good monster truck tires to replace the HPI ones.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users