• You cannot reply to this topic

[nerf] Centurion (N-Strike Elite)

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Itoe gave me permission to hack up his Centurion.

Posted Image
before disassembly

Posted Image
extra long screw in the buttstock

Posted Image
didn't really have to take these off, as they're for the barrel extension

Posted Image
took a photo of the dart tooth mechanism just in case...and also took a video, since it's not as simple as it looks.

Posted Image
looking towards the rear of the piston

Posted Image
the gear is for the priming mechanism

Posted Image
removing the barrel catch

So I had an idea that I wanted to make a Mega-size flywheel blaster. There were multiple problems with it, most importantly was securing the flywheel material that was balanced enough.

I dug around in my parts drawer, and found the two T600 motors I used for the EDF-Revo project.

Posted Image
a few hours of prototyping and drilling later

Posted Image
I spaced them 2mm narrower than the dart

Posted Image
active.

I took a short video to prove that my proof of concept works. I will be modifying the design to take the dart in a consistent manner, please stay tuned for updates.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

I had some time to start fully dismantling the blaster last night.

Posted Image
the barrel extension is a bitch and a half to remove if it's been put on normally, thanks to several catch mechanisms including one that is built into the extension. It's also glued together in the areas meant to be used as sling mounting points, such as this one.

Posted Image
the spring is the internal one-way mechanism to prevent removal of the barrel once it's been installed

Posted Image
cracking open the rest of the barrel

Posted Image
the piece with the three posts on either side actually belongs in the Centurion body, but the locks prevent it from coming out until the entire thing is dismantled.

Posted Image
that inner barrel is a big bitch. I'll take measurements later

Posted Image
one of the locks prevents magazines from being loaded if the barrel extension isn't connected. What the hell

Posted Image
magazine release mechanism

Posted Image
in order to fully gut the shell, I needed to remove all of this crap in the rear. There was no plunger assembly, but the priming handles and trigger assemblies need to go

Posted Image
shazam

Posted Image
if you're wondering how I did that without removing any pieces, the shell of the Centurion is flexible enough to push it apart and pull the rack through. You can pry the handle out and remove it that way too (I ended up doing exactly that after I removed both racks) but this way I think it's easier.

Posted Image
now they're empty

Posted Image
first time I've held a Centurion without the pegs sticking out (and without all of its guts, too)

Posted Image
modified the barrel locks so that it can be pulled out with some effort. Instead of looking like a ramp, it now looks like a mountain.

I actually found some other motors to use as the flywheels, since the T600s are huge and they will heavily bias the weight towards the front. They are still in the mail, I will update when they come in.

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

I got the motors in but haven't played with them yet, since I found an old box that I've been searching for for ages. I got a whole bunch of pinball solenoids back in high school, and one of them was a long stroke push-type that I was intending on using as the dart loader. I figured it would be easier than designing a gearbox like the Rapidstrike, and it can be controlled electronically if need be. I worked on getting it mounted last night.

Posted Image
box of solenoids that I found. The one I plan on using is the one with the pushbutton connected to it in this photo

Posted Image
the plunger body was plastic, so I drilled a hole in it and mounted a spacer (unused transmission gear from my Revo) on it. The spacer allows me to mount the solenoid further back where it's more comfortable, and increases the effective diameter of the plunger so that it doesn't just poke through the hole in the dart foam and actually pushes the dart forwards into the flywheels. I'm testing the layout of the solenoid at this point, but I did trigger it with a 4s lipo and this is how far it pushes the dart. Not bad at all.

Posted Image
I can reuse the priming gearbox sled as a mounting point, which I will be doing. Placement of the solenoid is as follows, I'm gonna use that steel piece between the solenoid and the plastic so I can secure it using more than three screws.

Posted Image
Solenoid temporarily mounted using spacers to simulate the steel piece, and this is how far it pushes the dart when fired. The added plus of using a solenoid that I quite like is that it kicks when you fire, because of the weight.

Posted Image
Because I took out the priming handles completely, the space can now be used to ensure that there's some form of cooling airflow going on inside the blaster. You can see the solenoid base through the gap in this photo.

I can use the existing trigger to hook up a microswitch to, but I was also thinking of using my leftover Rapidstrike accel trigger to spin up the motors. I need to do a whole lot more testing but this project is finally starting to come together. I'm satisfied at the progress, I hope I can call it done soon.

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Posted Image
These are the motors I got off of ebay for cheap. They are Lanxiang 2836 motors, rated for 2100kv and rated for 40A @ 6s (910W). Previous owner had installed 3.5mm bullets on them that I removed and replaced with 4mm ones.

Posted Image
Reused the EDF-Revo mounting brackets because they were the right dimensions to use for the motor testing.

Posted Image
closeup

Posted Image
This is the setup that I used for testing. The barrel is simply there to test the divergence of the dart, only one out of the twenty something darts I test fired/fed bounced inside the barrel so I think this is a good sign.

Last but not least, here's the Youtube vid of the test setup. Because the Mega darts weigh the same as the Elites and moreso because the outrunner motors have a much higher rotating mass than the plastic flywheels, the RPM doesn't even audibly drop for more than a split second. This is good for rapid fire (out of a six round sniper rifle haha).

This proves that my setup will work once it's in the blaster, so now it's time to stop testing and to start fabbing.

#5 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Did more work on the Centurion over the weekend.

Posted Image
drilled out the steel plate to mount the solenoid

Posted Image
holes drilled in the priming gearbox, the ground off area is to accommodate the head of the third screw that's holding the solenoid in place.

Posted Image
mounted up using whatever random screws of roughly the same size I could find laying around. I have to go buy more hardware

Posted Image
a look from the side

Posted Image
mounted in the Centurion

Posted Image
testing the layout again fully mounted. The pusher motor works like a charm

Posted Image
I wanted this to be as mid/rear heavy as possible so I used plexi as a motor mounting plate.

Posted Image
spaced as such.

I'm gonna be working on a mounting setup for the blaster, but as of right now progress is good!

#6 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

Posted Image
Running into snags here and there, the solenoid's solder tabs don't allow the access door to slide back all the way. I stressed about it for awhile but then quickly realized that I might have to end up deleting the door altogether so I put it aside for later.

Posted Image
Cut at the line

Posted Image
Cut at the line

Posted Image
Trying hard not to shave off anything important

Posted Image
More space in the motor mount area

Posted Image
Removed all of the supporting braces and the top screwhole

Posted Image
I had intended to mount the motors horizontally so they would sit like saddlebags, but unfortunately this isn't possible. Even with one motor completely touching the wall of the blaster, the assembly isn't even near centered in the blaster. With this information, I will have to figure out a way to mount the motors vertically like how they are in the conventional flywheel blasters. This means that they will be able to fit in the case without too much problems, but I will have to do a lot of grinding near the top of the blasters.

Posted Image
grinding off more material from the magwell

Posted Image
I'm gonna have to shove the motors right next to the magazine

Posted Image
I'll work more on this later, I ran out of time for the night.

#7 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

I can't believe this project has been stagnant for almost a month...

I drew up a schematic on the electronics that will be going into the blaster. I haven't tested the 555 one-shot yet, but the capacitor next to the switch is supposed to trigger the one-shot only once regardless of how long the button is pressed. I used a relay for the ESC controller as well, so I could put a status LED on it without worrying about that voltages in the servo tester. Both the ESC controller relay and the one that handles the solenoid are 30A automotive ones that I have laying around in bulk.

Results will be posted after building the circuit. For now this is all theoretical, but hopefully everything works like how I want it to.

Attached File(s)

#8 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

Nicholas Prado has featured one of my photos in his blog post reviewing the Centurion. Check it out here! Thanks for the link back!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users