• You cannot reply to this topic

[nerf] Magnus (N-Strike Elite)

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

A brand new blaster made its debut today in our local Target, so I picked one up to test it out. The Magnus in stock form is already an impressive blaster, the reason why it's shaped like how it is is because there is an internal three-round magazine. It is a direct plunger design, unlike the Centurion, which matters to some people.

Posted Image
Here it is straight out of the packaging. I haven't seen very many photos of this thing and much less people modifying them so I figured I should take some photos of how this thing works so other interested people can check it out.

Posted Image
There is one very long tactical rail on the bottom. I was wondering why there wasn't any on the top until I opened the thing up and started using it.

Posted Image
Nearly the entire top of the Magnus is the slide mechanism, not unlike a real pistol. It will release spring tension at the end and hold open so you can load the internal mag.

Posted Image
There are plastic pieces on either side of the magazine to prevent the Mega darts from being spit out. They are spring loaded but extremely stiff.

Posted Image
the magazine bottom is spring loaded like any other design.

Posted Image
loading the darts in. I found this way to be the easiest, smash the head in and the foam body will deform so the rest goes in easily

Posted Image
Three darts in the magazine, and unlike the Elite dart magazines you cannot fit one extra in there.

Posted Image
the Magnus has a double dart tooth design. The suction in the breech is quite high compared to the other magazine-loaded blasters I've modded (Retaliator, Alpha Trooper) so I left the dart tooth (teeth?) in.

Posted Image
A loaded Mega dart. Note that you don't have to use the internal magazine if you don't like it, because you can muzzle load the Magnus very easily.

Posted Image
looking down the barrel at the air restrictor. Little did I know how much of a bitch this thing is to take out.

Posted Image
four screws come out of the slide first

Posted Image
it clips into the groove on the side of the blaster, so just pry it gently off because it will seem like it's stuck even after you remove all four screws

Posted Image
for some reason there are both self-tapping and machine style screws in the shell

Posted Image
getting the shell off.

Posted Image
Here's the top piece of the magazine. Note the springs glued onto the shell up at the top of the photo.

Posted Image
take off this piece, this is part of the anti-reversion lock when priming

Posted Image
you need to get out the orange pieces on the end. Not the swiveling piece, that's for the unjam button (I have no idea what it actually does)

Posted Image
Nerf is getting a lot more superglue-happy, this thing isn't gonna come apart

Posted Image
unhook the latches where you can, and gently bend the pieces until the orange parts fall out. Do the same with the red piece, which is the lock so that you can't pull the trigger unless the slide is all the way forward.

Posted Image
mounting the trigger rack assembly back into the shell. Note that there are different types of screws (why)

Posted Image
the spring in the Magnus is a goliath. 165mm long

Posted Image
and just about 20mm diameter. I might measure the spring rate next time I crack one open

Posted Image
to take the air restrictor out, I needed to get this piece off (or so I thought). Just like the Alpha Trooper, it's superglued in. :\

Posted Image
I tried using CA debonder and all it did was melt the plastic and fuse everything together better.

Posted Image
It's dremel time

Posted Image
used a screwdriver to separate all the pieces

Posted Image
after nearly an hour of grinding, crying and blasting plastic bits out of the tube, it's finally gone

Posted Image
I superglued the pieces back in, so I didn't have another AT incident where it wouldn't prime for some stupid reason

Posted Image
and finally reassembled. It does shoot a lot harder now, I'll do a range test versus a stock one when it's not windy and rainy.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users