[nerf] Dorm Labs stuff parts reviews

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

Posted Image
These are the GoPro mounts as they came in the package. They are obviously 3D printed, and the surfaces are unfinished.

Posted Image
I reached into my collection and the Alpha Trooper was the one that fell to hand, so that's the one I tested it with. An interesting thing to note is that it doesn't use the tooth like how the official Nerf accessories do, but instead have a bump that fits into the slots of the tactical rail.

Posted Image
The view from the opposite side, where the screws are. The tooth lock is unused, and doesn't interfere with the clamp.

Posted Image
Pulling off the GoPro. The rail mount doesn't come with a nut so I had to reuse

Posted Image
It's a snug fit

Posted Image
Screwed in hand-tight

Posted Image
It's a tight squeeze, but I'd prefer that to a loose one

Posted Image
Mounted and ready for action

Posted Image
I thought it was strange that the mount and the clamp were threaded, so I drilled out the clamp with a 1/8" bit

Posted Image
now the screws can go in and out at will

Posted Image
I found out that there was a reason, as having both pieces threaded meant the screws can rigidly tie the two together because there is a gap between them when used on a rail.

Posted Image
Mounted on my Rayven. If I want the clamp to go on flat I'm gonna need spacers, but it's fine as it is I guess.

Posted Image
Also got these blank rail mount adapters that are perfect for gluing on accessories.

Posted Image
3D printed surface is extremely obvious since this is technically supposed to be a flat brick

Posted Image
some imperfections along the edges that are noticeable, but keep in mind that this is just ABS plastic and it will sand down extremely easily if you care about cosmetics.

The finish is somewhat questionable if you're not familiar with the 3D printing process (especially if your printer isn't expensive as balls) but the products feel sturdy. I have a couple other things that I ordered from them, I'll post pics later after I've messed around with them a bit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users