Digital.Complex: [nerf] Demolisher 2-in-1 (N-Strike Elite) - Digital.Complex

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[nerf] Demolisher 2-in-1 (N-Strike Elite)

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

I was unaware of the Demolisher's soft launch, and I quickly picked on up through Amazon a couple of days ago.

Posted Image
Here's the box art

Posted Image
and the rear, where it's impossible to find a photo of online

Posted Image
The packaging for the darts and the rockets

Posted Image
Dart and rocket on display in the box

Posted Image
The blaster in the packaging

Posted Image
The rocket has a tight fit into the stock holder, which was a pleasant surprise. If you stick the rocket in as shown (one fin inline towards the front of the stock) there are indents in the plastic so the fins don't bend.

Posted Image
Size comparison of the N-Strike Elite magazines. It's disappointing that the new banana mag only holds 10 rounds, but the Demolisher is fully compatible with all of them (including drums).

Posted Image
Size comparison of the darts and the new rocket ammunition

Posted Image
Size comparison to other large blasters (stock off)

Posted Image
Size comparison to other large blasters (stock on)

Posted Image
Super tacticool!

Posted Image
All jokes aside, I am really happy with the potential of this blaster and I can't wait to tear into it and start modding.

First impressions:
  • Blaster feels well constructed, the pump of the rocket launcher was a lot better than I was expecting
  • All triggers/buttons require more force to pull. Accel trigger has a nice tactile feedback to it, and the main trigger is much more heavy to pull.
  • AA battery performance is not great, but look at what happened when I modified my Stryfe
  • Rocket pump does not lock, and may slide forward when the blaster is pointed towards the ground
  • Speaking of the rocket launcher, the rocket forms a tight seal with the post and it fires with a very satisfying pop

I also can't wait for Nerf to (re)release blasters in the new color scheme, as all my old attachments don't really match the color scheme very well. I'm not sure if this blaster has the potential to become my new primary, but we shall see.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

I found some time to modify the blaster on Saturday night (Sunday morning).

Posted Image
Ready to open this baby up

Posted Image
As with all external pump designed blasters (Alpha Trooper, Recon/Retaliator, Maverick, etc.) the pump comes off first

Posted Image
Very large plunger design, the tube is only a tight fit in the last inch or so. This is what gives the slide a smooth feel and then the satisfying 'pop'

Posted Image
There's a plastic piece up top to guide the pump

Posted Image
Screw pattern for the grenade launcher grip

Posted Image
Screw pattern for the blaster itself

Posted Image
Separated the two halves. Because the battery box is on the top half of the blaster, there is a wire coming down between the shells that thankfully has a connector on it

Posted Image
Connector for power between the two halves of the shell. I think it fits into that opening at the bottom of the handle to prevent it from disconnecting inside the blaster

Posted Image
Separating the two halves. The most obvious update is the black plastic on the flywheel cage

Posted Image
Another design update, a springless design for the tactical rail tooth. This makes it much easier to assemble, and losing springs is a thing of the past

Posted Image
Looking at the internals

Posted Image
Closeup on the top, the switch up there is for the jam door

Posted Image
If you think that the internals look suspiciously like a Stryfe, you're correct. Here is a comparison with the Stryfe internals (top) and the Demolisher internals (bottom). The triggers are slightly different, but the rest of the pusher mechanism is strikingly similar. There is a small height difference on the spring attachment tooth, and the springs themselves are slightly different (Demolisher one is stiffer). There is also a slight face thickness increase where the pusher contacts the rear of the dart, but I'm not sure if it was structurally necessary.

Posted Image
Accel trigger mechanism without the switch, including the main trigger lock

Posted Image
Nerf engineers have gotten smarter and instead of routing the wire internally under covers and such, the wire now runs between the blaster shell and the external trim. The inductor lattice is the same as before, however the flywheel cage is different. The Demolisher's flywheels are taller than standard, and the clip on the rear of the motor is now hard plastic instead of rubber.

Posted Image
Pulling out the jam door switch

Posted Image
Blaster harness is disconnected

Posted Image
Blaster shell cleaned out

Posted Image
Here's the outside look of the shell without the trim piece. The holes up at the top, one to the bottom right of the jam access opening and the one right above the tactical rail are the ones the wires feed through.

Posted Image
Comparison of the Demolisher flywheel cage, and a Rapidstrike one (flywheels removed). The endcap clips are tight and it was difficult to remove the caps without scratching them with my pliers.

Posted Image
Looking at the top of the two cages. They are not swappable, at least into the Demolisher, since there is a patter on the blaster shell that matches up with the lattice on the cage.

Posted Image
Motor comparison. RTL: 2x Demolisher, 1x new Rapidstrike (blue brush assembly), Stryfe, Rayven. I'm not sure what the difference is between the older white colored brush assembly and the blue one that seems to be coming with all the new blasters.

Posted Image
Comparison of the motor endcaps. Like I said before, the Demolisher has hard plastic ones and not soft rubber ones like older flywheel blasters.

Posted Image
Teardown of the motors used in my primary 3s Rapidstrike (they got replaced a couple of weeks ago). Wear on the brushes aren't bad but judging from the carbon buildup I'd say there is excessive arcing. This is what happens when you don't break in a motor properly. There is also noticeable wear on the motor armatures.

Posted Image
I'm going to be using the motors out of a Stryfe in this Demolisher build, comparing the two before I put the Xmod brushes onto the stock can.

Posted Image
Soldered wires onto the motors to put them in (reverse) parallel, and breaking them in at around 4v

Posted Image
Looking at the wires leading up to the battery tray

Posted Image
There's a lot of superglue used in this area of the blaster, I was not able to completely separate the two pieces of the upper shell.

Posted Image
Starting to wire up the blaster with RC grade 20AWG

Posted Image
Running the wire underneath the pusher mechanism. I drilled a hole up at the top behind the jam door to mount a battery externally, since I will use the stock battery tray to hold my voltmeter.

Posted Image
Reusing parts of the blaster locks to hold down the wires

Posted Image
Putting pieces back in, making sure the wires don't get pinched

Posted Image
Successfully wired up, the servo connector at the bottom is to connect to the voltmeter in the upper shell

Posted Image
Blaster reassembled

Posted Image
Testing the blaster with my 4xAA battery, which fits quite nicely in the stock

Posted Image
Voltmeter working fine

Posted Image
The 3s lipo from my Rapidstrike fits just fine as well. This is great news, as I don't have to go out and buy new batteries for this thing if I want to use it.

Posted Image
View from the other half of the blaster.

It was clear to me after tearing this blaster apart that it was not much more than a Stryfe with a cool underslung attachment. The construction of this blaster is very good however, as there is not much wiggle room even with the stock attachment. I am liking what I am seeing, and despite the confusing looking front end it doesn't look that bad with barrel attachments either (save for the color). The switches feel meatier, the flywheels are larger (spacing is identical however), and even though its capacity leaves much to be desired the banana magazine looks very good. I think it has a better look with my Nerf rifles.

I must say I am disappointed that this isn't automatic like the Rapidstrike, but even if it is just a tacticooler Stryfe, I am satisfied with this blaster. Hopefully we see some rocket refills in stores soon, since I don't want to risk damaging the two that comes with the blaster just yet. The plunger tube is large and generally loose fitting except for the last inch or so, but that final bit is a very tight fit so I'm not sure whether or not to put teflon tape underneat the O-ring just yet. Perhaps I will make this blaster truly tacticool and put a compressed air attachment on the bottom so I don't have to pump, but we shall see.

For now, this blaster is finished. It doesn't quite have the stuff to replace my Rapidstrike as my primary, but I might break this one out for a fun battle or two. Nailing someone with the rocket is almost too good to pass up.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users