• You cannot reply to this topic

GHK G5

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:36 PM

Got a preowned GHK G5 as my first venture into GBBRs. A friend of ours got a GBBR FN SCAR-H a few weeks back - I did not care for GBBRs nor did I even like SCARs of either variety, but seeing it in person and hearing it shoot is pretty much the best way to convince someone else to buy a gas rifle. (Gas pistols don't count cause AEPs do not perform well.)

Posted Image
Here's the G5 out of the box. Came with the 12" Carbine kit installed, along with a few mags and spare parts. There was an AR stock adapter included which was nice, since the G5 folding stock was broken.

Posted Image
I was looking for a rifle to run with Magpul furniture for a long time, and I think this is the one. I replaced the MOE-K slim grip with a regular MOE one which was more comfortable, and traded the AFG for a RVG since I realized I like those better

Posted Image
Here is the carbine as it is, ready to go.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:13 AM

Did some experimenting and found that the GHK G5 magazine internals can fit into the GHK STANAG magazine internals and vice versa.

Posted Image
Here's the magazines how they arrived. These two in particular were reported leaky by the seller.

Posted Image
Removing baseplates from both mags. The STANAG baseplate end needs to be lifted and slid off, while the polymer G5 mag needs a lot more effort to sliding it off. Be careful too as the BB spring and follower assembly will probably shoot out of it if the bottom plate comes off entirely.

Posted Image
Removed 'guts' of magazine from their respective shells. The STANAG mag had a (missing) screw at the bottom to hold it in, the G5 mag has a pin hidden by the baseplate when it is installed.

Posted Image
Completely disassembled. Note how the two gas chambers are near identical, save for the STANAG mag one having a part extend out below the gas route in order to capture the screw holding the BB follower assembly together.

Posted Image
Holding the STANAG BB follower assembly up to the G5 mag gas chamber, it mates up properly with the curves and alignment braces even though it's missing that part that the screw goes through to secure it.

Posted Image
They both fit back into the other's outer shell. The floating BB follower assembly plus G5 gas chamber assembly in the STANAG shell, and the STANAG gas chamber with its extra wing for the follower assembly in the G5 shell with its independent BB follower compartment.

Posted Image
I don't know if that floating BB follower assembly will cause feed or spacing issues under more strenuous usage, but for testing purposes both mags cycled the gun and fed properly. The pin for the G5 mag did not quite line up with the hole in the STANAG gas chamber, however it was by such a slight margin I am assuming it was due to wear and tear on the mags over their lifetime. I believe the pin for the G5 mag was also bent in the original gas chamber so the hole might have deformed as well. The bolt catch worked properly, although sometimes it did catch open one BB too early but that may be due to the fact that the bolt catch lever is slightly bent downwards.

Either way, the G5 shot successfully on full auto with both of those swapped guts mags. Things are looking good to convert all my mags over to the newest GMAG standard from GHK.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users