• You cannot reply to this topic

Battle Royale Movie (I and II), Novel, Manga Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:06 AM

This is the cover-all Battle Royale thread. Talk about the manga, novel, or either of the movies.

I've personally seen all four, and enjoyed every one (even though the manga's not finished yet). Each medium provides its own pros and cons in presenting the story (first storyline, second one there's only the movie).

BR is probably rated R for the movie/novel, and NC-17 for the manga. ^^;; Not for the weak of heart or stomach, definately.

#2 User is offline   Grim 

• bah... Evil
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:56 AM

I've seen the movie and it's probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It sucks badly!

The story sucks!
The special effects suck!
I don't think the actors is doing a good job!

It's just a plain really bad movie.

#3 User is offline   gba_fan 

• Ken-chan, missing L's since 3/2007
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:29 PM

2nd movie is a lot better... better plot too

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:34 PM

Well Grim, the story doesn't suck if you knew what was really going on. If you've only seen the movie, and didn't read the novel/manga (especially the novel), you don't really get the whole story just by watching. I suggest you read the novel if you can (if not, manga is okay but it's not finished yet).

The second movie is an actual sequel, seeing the first movie is a prerequisite in order to fully understand what's going on. Sure, it's a great action movie by itself, but you don't get the ulterior themes as well (or at all).

I felt that the second movie didn't portray enough the closeness of the classmates, like in the first one. They just were there, and... died. ^^;;

#5 User is offline   anime21 

• *smack*
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:41 AM

I thought tha the first movie was best because. I don't really know. The second movies made it look more like a war then not. I think that the first movie was better because it sorta showed what some kids would do in that situation. I believe that both movies showed very realistic responses. The storyline for each character in the first movie was more developed in my opinion. The manga was really grotesque. It was... very bloody and very... umm sick in some parts. But besides all of that the Manga also did a good job at portraying everyone's storyline. The novel, in my opinion, was the best. It was interesting and it had everything that the movie and manga had but more in depth. At first, I thought that the book wasn't going to be ask good because it was big and it would probably bore me to death with the descriptions but it didn't do that. It had a nice amount of description at the right time as well as the action. It is not something to look at lightly because.. welll.. it is.. very real in a sense and is very... gruesome in other parts.

#6 User is offline   katsu 

• twelveAM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:32 AM

i have read the novel and was suprised i thought it'd be heartless...but i was wrong lots of love and friendship was involved...(that includes betrayal)

#7 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:22 PM

Yeah, it goes a lot deeper than you would think. Especially if you just hear a simplified plot summary, it just appears to be a simple bloodbath setup. Which it isn't, it's much more than that. People that have seen only the movie usually go 'wtf' or some other response that leans towards them thinking only about the gore/action... understandable if they only saw the movie, but after reading the book the real plot is revealed, one about a corrupt nation, questioning one's morals, how far you're willing to go to protect someone, and how much you can really trust those you consider 'friends'.

Perfect scenario, in my opinion. The worst brings out the best in a person... or the worst, as was made apparent in BR. Niida, Motobuchi, Satomi, etc.

Anyone have favorite characters/students?

#8 User is offline   anime21 

• *smack*
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2005 - 09:20 AM

Favorite, I couldn't say because there are many things that have been pointed out about a character that I can't either relate to or can't agree with. I can say that I feel bad for all the kids in the br program. I can say that there is something about all of them that I like. I like how the longer lasting kids have a goal that they are intent on accomplishing and how they have a very high determination to either live and kill all or protect their friends, etc. So basically, if i didn't confuse you or myself, i like most of them because they have determination and are so intent on getting what they want.

#9 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:42 PM

Ah, I see. Well, me on the other hand, must choose favorites. :D

- BR -
Manga: Mimura (crazy hightech mofo), Kawada (omniescent presence) and Sugimura (protects the girl he loves at all costs).
Movie: Mitsuko (revenge/psychosis driven character), Mimura (same as manga), Shogo (same as manga) and Kitano (provides those necessary 'wtf-da-daba-daba' moments...and shows that even the ones in control aren't perfect).
Novel: Kiriyama (prodigy with a slight imperfection...) and Yamamoto/Ogawa (their absolute refusal to participate was a viewpoint I originally didn't take into consideration).

- BRII -
Movie: Shiori (personal vendetta, cameo in the last movie, and the only girl in either movie with formal arms training), Nanahara (matures as a character, provides a glimpse of what happened after the first story), Osamu (hehe... for reasons you probably know, he's just cool).

:D Heh.

#10 User is offline   Quado 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:57 PM

w00t this story in general is awsome...personally i don't get the whole "weak of heart thing" and yeah...but the novel is by far the best of the mediums...

#11 User is offline   anime21 

• *smack*
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:20 PM

Weak at the heart meaning that you can't stand that kind of gore. It is a very...... yeah it has been mentioned so many times already. But it also has so many stories that have so many meanings to them. It would devistate a person with no exposure to it.

#12 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:48 AM

I've never seen this movie, is it any good? and I heard that there's a second one too?

#13 User is offline   Quado 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:13 PM

of course its good...sure they chose to add sub tittles rather than dubing it but that left the original voices for the actors...but read the book first...that way when you see the movie or read the graphic (really graphic) novel...it will just be the story put into motion...there is in fact a very good storyline hidden behind all the killing and whatnot...the second one is isn't a book but if u read or saw the first story it will make sense...just be sure when u burn a copy of either movie that u do it well... otherwise there will be no subtitles and a confused audience...yeah...

#14 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:28 PM

^ Dubbing it in what, Quado? It's not a domestic movie, nor is it licensed. The only English version it might have is the UK version, but that's not dubbed. They figured it wouldn't have too much of a following to invest in voice actors.

Yeah, seeing them in order tends to help. :P Bass, there's a novel/manga series/movie for the first story, and a sequel movie. Reading the novel before you see anything else will help you fully understand what's going on. The story is a lot deeper than it appears.

#15 User is offline   djSL 

• YE~yE~YEAAA~~~
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:39 PM

yea the manga is intense(thanks sho! lol) its got some really funky stuff thats not in the book cuzz its really messed. nevertheless its still got the great storyline and adds fantastic artwork. i like all the mediations however i recommend it for almost everyone, its great. nuff said.

#16 User is offline   Bad 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:48 PM

lol battle royale is teh shiznit!.... lol i only seen the movie well battle royale 2 but it still kicks.. i thank shonen for giving me the actual dvd..X_x

#17 User is offline   DarkYukina 

• Pip

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:11 PM

I love all Battle Royale, as I'm sure some of you know. However the movies lack alot in the characterization department. We sort of just get dropped in and then sometime later, oh... their all dead. XD But the book was great, and although the manga are graphic they have a specially place in my heart *cough* Mimura *cough* ^+^

#18 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:06 PM

^ Speaking of the manga, volume 14 is out.... did anyone check it out yet?

Haha, Mimura's the man.

#19 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:09 AM

I think I saw in another thread that Sayonara is getting the book. Did it come in yet?

Also, is Yesasia the only place where I can get the movie?

#20 User is offline   Sayonara 

• Puella Magi Sayo Dokidoki-da
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:34 AM

Nope not yet. I ordered it more than a month ago, the store I ordered it through said they ran out of stock so they're waiting again, then ship it here. >.<;;; Long time.

Yesasia shouldn't be the only place to get them; I found a chain that sells the dvds but idk if they would work on some systems though.

#21 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:40 PM

aw.... that sucks.

I also heard that the ones they sell on ebay are bootlegs. is this true>? and how canyou tell?

#22 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:07 PM

A bootleg list can be found here: http://battleroyalef.../video/db3.html

Anyway, the manga series is finally finished, volume 15 is the finale of the story. I don't think I'm giving away any spoilers by saying that though, cause the BR mangas are kinda thick.

#23 User is offline   Sayonara 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:39 AM

But with the novel and the film, everyone who read/watched it would have some kind of feeling of what the end of the manga would be like, wouldn't they? But all three of them differ though. Hmm..

#24 User is offline   TyeDyedTyger 

• PipPip

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:17 AM

Seen the 1st movie- it sucked, Got 15 volumes of the manga, (I thought that was all of them.) nevern read the novel. Want to though.

Simple idea given good pacing and even better emotion. Lord of the Flies meets Survivour? Maybe not.
Kiriyama was a boring idea for a character though. Marty Stu.

#25 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:48 AM

Hey, I heard that tokyopop is gonna re-release the manga in larger volumes (3 i think). I ownder if it's gonna be cheaper to get those instead of the normal manga volumes.

#26 User is offline   Sayonara 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:00 PM

View PostBass GS, on Sep 27 2007, 10:48 AM, said:

Hey, I heard that tokyopop is gonna re-release the manga in larger volumes (3 i think). I ownder if it's gonna be cheaper to get those instead of the normal manga volumes.

It seems you could be right:

Battle Royale Ultimate Edition

Koushun Takami and Masayuki Taguchi have agreed to create a special edition of the Battle Royale Manga, it seems the first edition is released on October 16, 2007. The first edition contains the first three volumes of the series. The second edition will be released on February 12, 2008. It will include more details on the characters (a discussion called 'On the Couch'), Colour pages and new cover art, a new foreward by Koushun Takami, weapon details, and a piece where medical personnel discuss the different injuries of the game. It's said to be 672 pages.

This will be something to look forward to for all BR fans. :D

#27 User is offline   Enoesiw 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

Battle Royale was nuts. And the manga in color is gonna be nuts^2. Which is like... Crazy. lol anyway, although the story is kinda sad, sick, and twisted, I would consider it a must-read (or watch), whether you read the manga or the book (or watch the movie). (WARNING: The manga contains UBER gore and some ecchi! Whereas the book just let's you see how much of a twisted imagination you have)

This post has been edited by Enoesiw: 02 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

#28 User is offline   Sayonara 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:26 PM

View PostEnoesiw, on Oct 2 2007, 04:43 PM, said:

(WARNING: The manga contains UBER gore and some ecchi! Whereas the book just let's you see how much of a twisted imagination you have)

Some ecchi? Surely you jest. XD

#29 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

Haha I know, seriously Eno... nice try being conservative there. :P

I'm looking forward to this coming out, as I didn't invest much in the original series of manga (I only got vol 15, the final one, because the manga scans weren't out for a long time).

#30 User is offline   Enoesiw 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:47 PM

h4xx0r!!! Was there really that much ecchi? I mean in the whole storyline there's like... oh wait... that one arc... that's right... But it was only one arc versus the rest of the storyline. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots or gore. (that's not spam, there's really that much gore!!!)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users