• You cannot reply to this topic

[pc] uATX blast from the past Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

I recently acquired a uATX case that a friend wasn't using anymore, and I have a lot of Core 2 era LGA775 CPUs laying around. A pair of E6600s, and even two quad cores (Q6600 and Q8200) that with modern cooling should not have a problem being overclocked and possibly getting to the point where they can perform as well as a modern Core i3 system. DDR2 memory and older chipset limitations (PCI-E 1.0 possibly) may limit theoretical performance, but I want to keep an open mind.

I've been looking on ebay for older LGA775 boards, and while there are many that can be acquired for $20 or even less, they are usually either OEM (locked multiplier) boards, or specialty boards for workstations or other lay-flat configurations.

Here's a couple links for reference for now, I'll be looking and updating this thread once there are advancements.

http://www.cpu-upgra...therboards.html

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:24 PM

More reference links for me later...

1333 fsb
http://www.overclock...e-Working-By-Me
http://www.overclock...EL-mod-FSB-1333

LGA775 pad modding
http://www.overclock...75-pad-modding/
https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/
http://www.overclock...l-vid-mod-guide

Posted Image
Here's the case, it's from a basic OEM i3 system that the previous owner had transplanted into their own case

Posted Image
Internals all shiny and (not) chrome, 80mm (I think) exhaust fan on the bottom. Single hdd in the cage, it bolts parallel to the side of the case

Posted Image
passive vents on the side, might have to cover them up. We'll see.

Posted Image
HP Pavilion p6-2020t, in case I forget.

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

Minor updates, mostly making sure the motherboard works and shoving it into the HP case.

Posted Image
Freshly opened from the ebay seller, kind of irritated that he didn't bother putting in something to protect the CPU pins (the bubble wrap had actually caught on one) but it ended up working ok

Posted Image
Strapped one of my E6600s in for testing, Q6600 is still in work pc

Posted Image
Hooked up to an older psu just to test, it loads up the BIOS but doesn't proceed due to lack of bootable drives

Posted Image
Later in the day, I opened up the case to clean it out a bit

Posted Image
Hooked up a smaller WD Green drive just to test install an OS on

Posted Image
Proprietary HP pinout for the power button and power/hdd access leds, had to decode

Posted Image
HP plug also had the wrong hole blocked for use with this board, so I had to reconfigure the pins on half the plug and use bare connectors on the other half

Posted Image
Power and hdd access leds look fine, they are on majority of the time and in a strange color...orange? Seriously? I understand this is OEM and thus conservative but normally I would expect green or blue...

Posted Image
Installing an older Radeon HD 4670 since this PSU doesn't have PCI-E power connectors (soon to be remedied with a real psu).

Posted Image
Everything wired up, including an extension for the chassis fan that has a cable that is way too short to be useful

Posted Image
As much as I would have liked to use a Hyper 212+ on this CPU, the case is just too small to fit it. Maybe I'll look for a more cubic case next time, uATX but also tall enough to fit the heatsink with 120mm fan.

I'm considering looking for an alternative heatsink to use for overclocking, as there's no room right now to fit in the H60 that I still have laying around. Unless I wanna ebay up another water cooling system to use a 92mm radiator...

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:09 PM

I put in Sayo's original graphics card, an MSI GTX 750ti (N750TI TF 2GD5/OC). This will allow the system to run games and benchmarks that require DirectX 11.2 or lower, compared to the DX10.1 on the Radeon 4670.

Posted Image
luckily enough, this one doesn't require a PCI-E power supply, so I don't have to swap in a real psu (yet).

Don't have much time to test this one this week, so we'll see when I'm able to.

#5 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

Hurricane Madeline post...Because the Hyper 212+ won't fit, I will have to get another heatsink in order to overclock the CPU properly. I did some benchmarks with the Monster Hunter Online tester, and when slightly overclocked the temperatures are a lot higher than I'd like. I think this is due to the fact that the heatsink I'm currently using came from a system with a normal Pentium CPU, not a Core 2. This problem will only be magnified with higher clocks on the E6600, and the much higher TDP of the Q6600 Core 2 Quad that will be put in later.

Posted Image
Looks to be around 140mm clearance from CPU die to the lower lip of the panel (not the actual side panel).

Current Cooler Master prospects are the Hyper 103 or TX3, I'll look into sub-140mm heatsinks from other companies at a later time.

#6 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:23 AM

Updating the compatible cooler list...

Arctic
- Freezer 7 (130W)
- Freezer 13 (200W)

Cooler Master
- Hyper 103
- Hyper TX3 (130W)

Deep Cool
- Gammaxx 200 (100W)
- Ice Blade 100 (100W)
- Ice Blade 200M (135W)

Enermax
- ETS-N30, ETS-N30R (150W)

Raijintek
- Aidos

Silverstone
- AR02
- AR08

Thermaltake
- BigTyp Revo (160W)
- Contac 16 (100W)
- Contac 21 (140W)

#7 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:26 PM

Small updates...

Posted Image
So the seller I bought a heatsink from (Cooler Master Hyper TX3) completely lied about expedited shipping. Richmond, CA is where parcels go before they're placed on the barge which normally means 4-6 weeks, expedited always means air mail. I'm making this post on September 28th, for reference.

Posted Image
Anyways, one of my friends recently went on a trip to the mainland after that transaction and picked up a Tt CL-P0497 for me.

Posted Image
It was on clearance lol, but thanks AquaClouds for the heatsink. This will work fine in the meantime, it performs a few degrees cooler at stock clocks on the E6600 compared to the default Intel Core2 Duo heatsink.

Posted Image
This one actually uses a backplate and heavy spring pressure to secure the heatsink. Unfortunately, because it's a budget heatsink, the entire thing is extruded aluminum and the fan is built in (non-replaceable).

Posted Image
Here it is installed on the Biostar board. The only issue it has is that the bottom-right most heatsink hole is rather close to the uATX hole so there's some interference since the case I'm using has the metal angled up from that area.

Computer's still working fine, I also installed Win7 on an SSD so it can now compete with modern systems. I have yet to transplant the Q6600 from my work desktop into it, but right now it's doing fine. More tests and benchmarks will be done when I have more time.

#8 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:50 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates, my work internet went down for four or five weeks and that's where I edit most of my project photos.

Posted Image
This dingdong listed Priority Mail under his ad, but...

Posted Image
Used the much slower and I'm guessing much cheaper Media Mail, which EXPLICITLY DOES NOT WHITELIST HEATSINKS FROM BEING SHIPPED THIS WAY. What a tool.

Posted Image
Anyway, the heatsink arrived undamaged and actually still sealed with factory stickers.

Posted Image
Plastic clamshell is a bit smashed, but the important stuff is okay

Posted Image
It's basically a baby (90mm) Hyper 212 (120mm).

Posted Image
Box of accessories include socket adapters, Intel OEM style motherboard fasteners, and clips for an additional fan

Posted Image
Not the best finish I've seen and can definitely benefit from lapping, but I'm not that interested in doing so. The direct contact heatpipes are nice

Posted Image
Looking at the Q6600 about to be covered

Posted Image
Attached properly to the board, I decided to snap on the fan afterwards

Posted Image
Looks very good attached to the board, and there might be enough space for another fan (slim?) between the heatsink and the case exhaust if I wanted.

Posted Image
Looking good, it takes up as much area as possible for a uATX case and that's beneficial.

I haven't had much time to do benchmarks and overclock it due to me getting a new job while keeping the other two. Hopefully in the next month or so I'll be able to play with it further.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users