• You cannot reply to this topic

[pc] KibblesPC Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

This is the build log of a commissioned computer, based around Intel's Skylake i3 and an Nvidia GTX 1060.

Posted Image
Power supply is a nice and simple EVGA 430W unit, which isn't modular but suits this build fine.

Posted Image
Simple 120mm exhaust fan, and a bundle of cables exiting the chassis. Note that this PSU only contains a single 4+4 CPU plug and a single 6+2 PCI-E plug, which is more than sufficient for this build but it may not be with older cards.

Posted Image
Motherboard is a uATX MSI H110M Gaming

Posted Image
Smart looking board, blacked out pcb and red sockets give it striking visuals

Posted Image
Brains of this build is the Skylake Core i3-6100. Hyperthreaded dual-core 3.7GHz is sufficient for 1080p gaming.

Posted Image
Here is the LGA1151 socket on the motherboard, protected by a plastic cover.

Posted Image
Installing the i3-6100.

Posted Image
Installing the stock Intel "thermal solution" (heatsink-fan). It's around the same size as an LGA1155 i5 heatsink-fan that I had laying around, which hopefully means that this one has a little overhead for some minor overclocking?

Posted Image
As it happens, the GTX 1060 I went with was also from MSI

Posted Image
Similar but not the same color scheme as the motherboard

Posted Image
Skeleteon testbench setup to make sure the system POSTs with no drives connected. Success!

Posted Image
Pulling out my Blast from the Past uATX build from the case I was going to use. This one will go into another, similar, HP case.

Posted Image
Dropping in the motherboard, you can see the single stick of Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM ([email protected])

Posted Image
Two drives going in, a Plextor 120GB SSD for boot/games and a WD 500GB Green HDD for storage.

Posted Image
Everything installed inside the HP case, ready to have the OS installed. Win10 Home disc will be arriving tomorrow, and hopefully at that time the build should be finished.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:36 PM

Sorry it took so long to get these images up, the PC was delivered last weekend.

Posted Image
Win10 installation disc finally in, so it's time to install an OS on this machine

Posted Image
testing with the game this PC was built for, Overwatch of course.

It runs the game on max settings at 1080p at a smooth 60fps, only dipping to around 50fps or so in the heaviest of action.

Posted Image
Also ran the Monster Hunter Online benchmark program, scored a pretty surprising 20.5k seeing as my overclocked i7-5820K and GTX 980ti setup did 32k and costed well over double of this system.

Posted Image
OEM cases have always relied on zipties for cable management, so I decided to go that route again. Since the PSU wasn't modular, I stuffed most of the extra cables in the empty ODD and FDD bays.

This is one hell of a sleeper machine, with a clear upgrade path. Being Skylake, it's roughly comparable to older Core i5 cpus from the early era. It's got a higher boost clock than the i5-2500 Sandy Bridge, uses roughly half the power and performs roughly the same in mildly multithreaded applications. Any other LGA1151 cpu is available, with the next step being an i5-6600/K or maybe even the enthusiast i7-6700/K. Single slot 8GB DDR4 leaves the option to add another 8GB stick for industry standard 16GB, but if it's just for games then 8GB should be enough.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users