• You cannot reply to this topic

[pc] workPC Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

I've had this thing for awhile, but it's the old desktop that I've been using in various forms for work.

Posted Image
Here's a look inside. It's an old HP xw4400 workstation, LGA775. It uses a HP 0A68h motherboard, on which CPU-Z reports an Intel i975x A0 northbridge, 82801GB (ICH7/R) A1 southbridge. BIOS installed is 786D7 v02.07.

Posted Image
It fits under the storage cabinets at work, so I can put the monitors in front of it.

Posted Image
only a couple of mm clearance, it's like it was meant to be. The only issue is using the top DVD drive...

There were a few quirks with this setup/machine...

1. I tried running dual GPU with the 9500 GT and a 8800 GT, but for whatever reason the BIOS wouldn't let me enable both PCI-E x16 lanes at the same time in this configuration. I had to use one Nvidia and one ATI/AMD graphics card and even though the BIOS claims one is disabled, both work.

2. When the BIOS is reset, the onboard sound is disabled and the default drive interface is changed to AHCI+RAID instead of just AHCI. This caused quite a few issues when I was unaware of the changes and trying to repair installations.

3. The Creative drivers for the Audigy2 failed to install, and only worked when I ran them in WinXP compatibility mode.

4. As per the hardware notes, the secondary PCI-E x16 slot is only a PCI-E x4 electrically. There is also a built in speaker right next to the front intake.

5. The power supply is not standard ATX size, and as I had replaced the original blown one with a standard ATX one you kind of have to be creative with two of the screws.

6. This machine unofficially supports the monster Core2 Quad Q6600 processor, although it throws up a flag for machine code mismatch that forces you to push F1 every time you boot. I was running it this way for awhile, until I got in my Biostar board for my Blast from the Past build.

7. Immediately after installing Win7 again I noticed performance went to shit. Random lockups, extremely long time accessing drives, etc. I'm not sure exactly what is causing it, but after changing the power profile to High Performance all of that sluggishness went away. If you are running an older computer you might want to give that a try.

This case is extremely sturdy/heavy and there is no see-through window or anything so it can actually be a pretty decent sleeper gaming rig. The only disadvantages of its dated design is that there are no intake filters or front fan mounts, only two 3.5" HDD slots, and aside from the nonstandard power supply size the only rear exhaust fan is a single 90mm. I would only trust it with lower power or extremely new stuff due to reduced power consumption and heat output.

Either way, this is basically a thread to let the world know that there still are xw4400 workstations out there kicking in some strange configurations.

Motherboard: HP 0A68h LGA775
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz
CPU Cooler: HP xw4400 stock (it's actually really good)
GPU 1: ATI Radeon 2600 XT
GPU 2: Nvidia 9500 GT
RAM: 4x2GB DDR2-400 (8GB total)
Boot HDD: Toshiba 160GB SATA 2.5"
Auxilary HDD: Hitachi 160GB IDE 3.5"
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 SB0240
ODD: ?? (1x SATA, 1x IDE (disconnected))
Wifi: Powerlink PL-H5DN-3070_RF USB 802.11n
Power Supply: HP OEM 350W
Case: HP xw4400 workstation

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users