Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Micro RC Community!

#1 User is offline   Shawn_K 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

Hey, about two weeks ago I got together a new RC website, I even made a topic for the MRCG kit! :)

Be sure to check it out:
http://micro-rcx.com/greyscale-racing-m ... e-t39.html

- Shawn

#2 User is offline   CowboySiR03 

• GSR Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:09 PM

I'd suggest you talk to color0 about getting an updated photo or two..the generation shwon there isn't entirely complete.

Thanks for the exposure, shawn. ;-)

#3 User is offline   Shawn_K 

• Pip

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

ok, thanks for the tip.
i also talked to color0 a couple weeks ago about RC development...
(gonna keep it short...messaging on my phone atm)

i basically have been wanting to make a 1/43 high performance rc.
i've never done cad but i designed robotic machinery in high school.

i basically have very raw sketches of a design that will be about the size of an epoc racer but designed simple enough to be made of 2 main aluminum parts and 2 carbon fiber parts...among with other parts available elsewhere. (screws, shafts..etc)

i dont have enough spare cash for a cnc...and mfg equip. if anyone wants to work on this lemme know. :)

#4 User is offline   Shawn_K 

• Pip

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

oh yeah...color0 showed me links to cnc machines and soft.
but said basically no more dev atm.

#5 User is offline   evoraptor 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

Yeah, Color will not be able to do much now, as he just started college earlier this year. However, do look into what he has given you. We'd like to see what comes of it. Anyways, welcome to the public GSR.

#6 User is offline   Shawn_K 

• Pip

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

Is there anyone else in the group that has machinery that would be willing to work with me?

I mean hell, I'd expect to retain all intellectual rights to what I design and vice-versa...but that doesn;t mean there wont be split costs (material) and profits. ;-)

#7 User is offline   color0 

• GSR Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:01 PM

Hi Shawn,

mleemor60 is in the process of setting up some machinery and I'm sure he'd entertain some new project ideas. Though I don't have enough time to do any machining/new parts development for you, please do look into the links I gave you and try learning the CAD and CAM (manufacturing) process. I can answer probably most question you'll have for the first few months. :)

Anyways, thanks for the comments and exposure!

#8 User is offline   Shawn_K 

• Pip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:17 PM

Ok, just now testing out Rhino.
Basically, got a few questions...I'm hoping for quick answers here rather than search for hours online.

I've only used it for like 1-2min (literally), lol...but I have some questions to get me started.

1) Are there measurement tools? if so, can I enable ruler guides and are there any other useful tools like measuring dist from two points?
2) How the heck to I get points to "snap" to the grid? I mean it's got to be possible, all I've found is different movement modes, but nothing that snaps.
3) Playing around, I noticed curves are quite strange and the points don't seem to stay attached...is this typical?
4) anyone got a sample file from the MRCG design? (not asking for whole thing, just a part to examine the modeling structure, even a scratched design would be fine...just something for me to check out)

If anyone (who may be interested in helping me) wants to see my sketches, I can scan them for ya.
I have exact measurements for the motor fitting, the distance between the wheels, etc...just need to fill in the rest during CAD design.

#9 User is offline   color0 

• GSR Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

Sure thing Shawn.

1) Under the Analyze drop-down menu are you measurement tools. Radius, length, distance, etc.
2) Under Options > Grid, you'll find the Snap command.
3) Control points do not stay attached to the lines, typically.
4) I can't email you the MRCG designs, but I can email you the 3DM file for a rim design I did. You'll be able to figure out pretty quickly exactly how I designed it (which is why I'm not giving you the MRCG designs, lol...). Check your email. :)

#10 User is offline   Shawn_K 

• Pip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:41 PM

ok, thanks :)

I'm getting used to the way snapping operates, are there any tips you have for me?
So far Intersection is what I wanted...but to get it to interact with another point, is dragging over it the only way?

Also, let's say I want to adjust an object (rectangle for instance) to a specific size, how can I do this without using the command functions?

#11 User is offline   color0 

• GSR Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

You'll want to get used to the command functions, it's VERY easy to enter in the necessary dimensions that way, rather than measuring it out manually.

There's also OSnap (Object Snap) which I think you found already, play around with those and you'll find what works for you. I usually set mine on Knot, End, and Cen, and then Disable the entire bar, so that when I need it to snap somewhere, I hold Alt and it will enable the Object Snap functions. ;) Good luck!

#12 User is offline   Shawn_K 

• Pip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:46 PM

lol, if you can't tell I pick up really fast...that's why I hate so many books, rather than being direct and to the point they have soo much extra content.

I've programmed php and html for a while and I can say probably the best sources I have found are W3C and QuirksMode...none of the extra "tutorial" crap, just clean cut and to the point.
only html book I ever had I basically skipped to the end and went backward whenever I needed to understand something.
*if you couldn't tell, I strongly prefer reference guides and programming pattern books...always direct and to the point.

anyways, enough of my blabbing...lol

#13 User is offline   Shawn_K 

• Pip

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

I do like that disable/enable using alt...alot!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users