• You cannot reply to this topic

Studying tips for exams, homework, the whole shabang Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sayonara 

• Puella Magi Sayo Dokidoki-da
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

It's finals week at college and it's a time we all hate but we have to do: study. It's a like it or hate it sort of thing but in the end, we have to do it sometime.

- Sleep early before the day of the test.
Knowing that we don't like to sleep early because we just don't want to is a pain but it helps improve concentration.

- Eat a good breakfast.
It's like fuel for your body. Eat up so that you're not sluggish and it'll keep your mind off of that growling stomach during the test if you haven't eaten.

- Study a little at a time before D-Day.
Your brain can't really take in a whole load of information (unless your brain works that way) and still retain it but feeding it baby doses helps.

- Eat chocolate chip cookies and drink orange juice while studying.
Something my 11th grade Math teacher gave us while studying for the SATs. While taking the practice test, he gave us chocolate chip cookies and orange juice, saying that it helps stimulate brain cells, helps concentrate better, and memory improves. I tried it and amazingly it helped. Thanks for the same guy who taught the highest level of math in school (calculus, trig, stats, etc)

- Read the material, write it out, say it out loud.
Your brain will remember 90% of everything you learn if you read it, write it, and say it outloud.

Hey if anyone else wants to share their 'secrets' to studying, post em here. We'd all like it :)

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:35 PM

- Turn off that TV!
TV = distraction, you'll end up paying more attention to it than your textbook, especially if your textbook is boring.

- Don't study on your bed!
Basic psychology, bed is associated with sleeping so you'll feel more lax and tired if you lay on your bed and try to study.

- Set a study schedule
I learned this during ENGR100 last year, if you set times where you study and follow that schedule, you tend to get into the groove better.

#3 User is offline   marmaldegirl16 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:40 AM

Along with the TV, turn off music. Some think it helps them but it really doesn't. You're more likely to remember the song then the boring text book.

#4 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

View PostSayonara, on Dec 14 2006, 01:40 PM, said:

Something my 11th grade Math teacher gave us while studying for the SATs. While taking the practice test, he gave us chocolate chip cookies and orange juice, saying that it helps stimulate brain cells, helps concentrate better, and memory improves. I tried it and amazingly it helped. Thanks for the same guy who taught the highest level of math in school (calculus, trig, stats, etc)

ew, I hope not at the same time... chocolate and orange dont' mix well :o anyway, i like studying when it's quiet and there's no one around, maybe in a room by yourself or something.

#5 User is offline   ramengirl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

i heard choc. and orange go great together :3 .. i tend to make friends in class so that i can borrow and compare notes :D

#6 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:45 AM

View PostBass GS, on Apr 3 2007, 06:51 PM, said:

View PostSayonara, on Dec 14 2006, 01:40 PM, said:

ew, I hope not at the same time... chocolate and orange dont' mix well :o anyway, i like studying when it's quiet and there's no one around, maybe in a room by yourself or something.

Actually there is a candy out there called a chocolate orange, and It is actually really GOOD!!

#7 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:56 PM

really/ I guess i 'll go give it a try then. thanks for the tip even though it's not about studying :lol:

#8 User is offline   Enoesiw 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:52 PM

Another thing about studying, it helps if you set up rewards for yourself. If you like to read, give yourself so many minutes for so much study time (1:1 is fine). Or if you like blogging, do the same (1:5 is good here). If video games are your forte, do the same (1:10 or 1:15). Then save up your time and spend it on a weekend or whenever you have a decent amount of free time. FYI, it's 1 minute of free time : x minutes of study time, not the other way around. The basic concept behind this is to positively reinforce studying with the good feelings of reward. On the other hand, punish yourself for going over your alloted time. Doing the same ratios won't bring any sense of punishment because it's the same as studying first. Instead, make it 1:2, 1:10, 1:20 or whatever so that you actually feel a sense of loss. Also, the punishment time is supposed to be a loss a free time, so you don't accumulate free time while fulfilling the punishment.

If you are unsure about how much time to spend studying, think about your schedule and try to work it out. However, if you are in college they give you a pretty good estimate. a credit hour is basically how much time you're expected to spend studying at home per week to pass the class. So let's say your in Calculus. All calculus classes are 4 credit hours (at UH anyway) so you should probably be spending about 4 hours studying per week. For a full-time student to be classified as full-time you need 12 credit hours per week, with a maximum of 18 (unless you get the restriction lifted). 12-18 hours in a 168 hour week is not that much, it's about 7-11%. If you take that much of your day off to study everyday, it will go by like a breeze. Like Sayo said, study a little bit at a time. You'll retain SO much more than you would think. You might not be able to pull it off the top of your head at any given moment, but when prompted with a question, your mind will start to work and you'll bring back the information you need. If you study right, hopefully it will be the right information! :D One last thing, if you're not studying for a test, try to keep the study time proportional. Most people (unless you're a freak like me) dislike math. Because of this they tend to not spend as much time studying it as they should. But there is a reason calculus is 4 credits, and you should put time away to it accordingly. If you have 12 credits, 4/12 = 1/3 so spend about 1/3 of your alloted study time for math. (not all math classes are 4 credits, but you get the picture). Also, don't spend more time studying a certain subject that doesn't require as much study time if it cuts into your study time for other courses. A balanced study schedule is best!

Anyway, if you actually read all that I hope it helps you in one way or another!

P.S. Chocolate and oranges go very well together (the chocolate oranges are fkn awesome!), but chocolate and orange juice does not. I know, it's wierd.

This post has been edited by Enoesiw: 27 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

#9 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:08 PM

maybe it's the texture, enoesiw... it is strange indeed. :blink: I don't like studying either. :lol:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users