• You cannot reply to this topic

[nerf] Rival Zeus MXV-1200

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

Our local Target and Walmart finally got the Rival line of blasters in stock, nearly a month after their launch date. I immediately picked them up and discovered for the first time that Walmart ($52) had a better price than Target ($60).

I picked up a couple of magazines for it as well due to it being a new design, but as of right now they are still unopened. I will test them later, but my first firing tests revealed that the Rival ammunition is roughly 1000x more easily lost than darts lol.

Anyway, on to the photos!

Posted Image
Here's the boxes for the blaster and the magazine refills. It looks a lot nicer than the normal N-Strike Elite line, for one it's fully enclosed in cardboard and not just strapped to a backing. Good job on the packaging Hasbro, it's very clear that this is aimed (teehee) at an older demographic.

Posted Image
Looking at the rear of the packaging. Same consistent style, focusing on the team-based battling aspect.

Posted Image
Pop the side open, and you can slide them out

Posted Image
Can't wait to use these tiny foam golf balls

Posted Image
Here's the Zeus inside the box

Posted Image
Snap-in side rails. They are different, and the keyed snaps are so you don't put them in the wrong side. You can install them in any direction on the correct side however.

Posted Image
Cut out of the twine

Posted Image
Snapping the magazine in is surprisingly easy, but note the asymmetrical butt fitting into the Zeus body. It cannot be installed upside down, since there is a release mechanism on the top front of the magazine.

Posted Image
Flip-up sights

Posted Image
Installed the loaded magazine, ready for a stock test fire. It was around this time that I noticed that there is only painted graphics on the bottom shell and not this side.

Posted Image
Strapped the Gopro on it for a test firing video.

This was my first night testing the Zeus and as such I did not tear it open. The test firing video is linked below if you are interested.

https://www.youtube....h?v=GKfdVTmy-a8

Now onto the second and third day, where I actually tear this thing apart.

Posted Image
To my pleasant surprise, I found that the triangle-bit screws can be removed using 1/16" hex driver. Future reference.

Posted Image
Using some Philips-head screws removed from previous blaster projects to resecure the buttplate after removing the battery tray.

Posted Image
Here's the screw pattern. Basically you don't have to remove the two screws in the upper tactical rail, and the short screws go in the handle. The other ones are all long and more or less the same length.

Posted Image
Cracked open the shell and here is the stock wiring. To my surprise it's the same gauge as the Rapidstrike, which is surprising considering that the flywheels in this blaster are considerably larger than previous electrics. Also, the flywheel spacing is a lot smaller compared to the ammunition, and the motor cans are larger (3xx?).

Posted Image
Same inductor lattice as the Rayven, with three caps and a PTC per motor, along with a larger PTC up closer to the battery box.

Posted Image
Fairly standard accel trigger switch layout

Posted Image
Here's the safety switch on the top shell, basically it interferes with pulling the accel trigger

Posted Image
It's a mechanical lock for an electric switch, which eases the wiring considerably. Either way, it had to go

Posted Image
Two screws later

Posted Image
I might use this location for something in the future, but for now it shall remain empty.

Posted Image
Removing the accel trigger switch plate. This is the same type of switches as the Stampede and Nitron.

Posted Image
Switch depressed

Posted Image
Flipping over the flywheel cage (half cage, technically) and you can see the mechanical and electronic locks right next to the flywheels. The bottom one is for an empty magwell and the top is for the open jam door.

Posted Image
I took the plate off and it exploded so I'm not sure if this is the original layout or how it's supposed to work, but all that crap is getting removed so I didn't care.

Posted Image
Bottom shell with all electronic components removed. Note that you have to open the jam door in order to remove the flywheel cage.

Posted Image
Desoldering

Posted Image
I got carried away looking at the firing mechanism, this pin pulls against other levers in order to open the door and chamber a round. I noticed the relatively hard trigger pull and wondered if it would improve the design to ball race the sliding parts of the mechanism.

Posted Image
Cut down the plastic reinforcement and with difficulty slid on a 3x5x3mm bearing.

Posted Image
There was another plastic bearing on the upper area, I put on what I believe to be 4x7x5mm bearings. They fit perfectly, and I could reinstall the stock screw.

Posted Image
Much better. The forward bearings tightened up the action considerably,

Posted Image
Mild trigger pull, notice the rear bearing riding up the ramp.

Posted Image
Full trigger pull. I marked where I was gonna cut off the excess trigger plastic since I was planning on using a microswitch for the flywheels, but I changed my mind to using a relay afterwards.

Posted Image
Testing the layout for the relay up top, as close to the flywheels as possible. I wanted to run one per flywheel and bolt them directly the the flywheel cage, but there wasn't enough space for the automotive sized relays I was using.

Posted Image
Closeup on the chopped trigger

Posted Image
Doubled up spring on the accel trigger ramp. These came out of the safety locks on the Nitron or Fusefire, I think.

Posted Image
Kickback diodes installed on the flywheel motors

Posted Image
Wiring everything up. Note that the hookup on the relay in this photo is incorrect, as I misinterpreted the silkscreened schematic.

Posted Image
Wide shot of the wiring. It's fairly simple even with the relay.

Posted Image
Sunk the power leads into one of the open cells in the side as a form of stress relief and yank-proofing the solder joints.

Posted Image
melted a slot in the upper rail for the relay screw to fit in

Posted Image
First try

Posted Image
Wide shot of everything hooked up

Posted Image
Can't even see the modifications from the outside.

Posted Image
Everything put back together and ready to go!

Here's my current thoughts

Zeus Pros:
- Very cool looking
- Great power out of the box
- Noise complaints in reviews were clearly made by people with no experience modding, the noise isn't that bad

Zeus Cons:
- Crunchy trigger pull with inconsistent resistance throughout
- Stiff accel trigger
- Tactical rails are different than older N-Strike ones
- Can be difficult to properly seat magazines
- Inconvenient battery bay dimensions

I'll post more when I do further testing or more modifications, I'm really looking to putting in some sort of lighting or voltage meter. We shall see what the future holds.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users