Myvu Crystal 701 modding anti-hazing, no-signal-static mods Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Posted Image
After several months of inactivity, the battery was fairly dead so I had to pop it into the wall charger for my phone in order for it to charge

Posted Image
This is another one of those glossy plastic cases that don't use screws....the easiest way to pop it open with minimal damage is to use pliers in the glasses-plug section. Just pry it open

Posted Image
When you get this thing open it looks like this. Just gently twist a flathead down the sides to get the clips off.

Posted Image
Down at the business end (top?) of the pendant. The problematic resistor is the one facing perpendicular to the rest of its closeby brethren, near the center of the image right below the gold pad. I measured it in-circuit and it was 0.02Ω.

Posted Image
Before I got to this difficult job, I did the modification to have the screen display static instead of blanking itself when there's no significant video signal. This is used by FPV pilots/drivers since if the connection drops, you will just see a progressively worse image rather than the screen cutting out completely.

Posted Image
The glasses still work, which is a good sign.

Posted Image
Removed the resistor by making a solder blob on the tip of my iron and heating up both ends of it at the same time. Surface tension pulled the blown resistor off with the iron.

Posted Image
Soldered some extremely fine magnet wire to the pads, and thankfully got them secure on the first try.

Posted Image
I used a 16Ω resistor first, and then did some voltage measuring. Top end (voltage supply) was just over 9v.

Posted Image
This resistor dropped the voltage to 8.7v. Hopefully that would do the trick

Posted Image
...nope. This was 10-15 minutes later.

Posted Image
I needed to drop the voltage a little more. I figured since a voltage drop was all we needed, I'd use a diode and see what happens. A 1N400x dropped it a little further, but apparently not enough. The glasses lasted about 20 minutes before the haze reappeared.

Posted Image
So, I tried using the diode with a resistor in series. 4.7Ω seemed to be enough, I forgot to take voltage readings on it but the exact value will vary from each Crystal unit to the next.

Posted Image
I made the wires long on purpose so I could stuff it in the open space by the a/v jack at the bottom.

Posted Image
This was one tiny ass soldering job.

Posted Image
50 minutes later and no haze. I'd call this a success.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

I decided that because I put the original post up in a hurry I should do a followup post and mention that these modifications were not pioneered by me. All I did was follow steps that other people have spent a lot of R&D time to come up with.

http://www.rcgroups....2&postcount=100
diagram showing where to bridge in order to do the 'no-blanking-out' modification

http://www.avsforum....e#post_20516177
information about the solution (yet to perform) for the screen flickering issue when lowering the array voltage

Thanks a lot to the RCGroups community, the Crystal thread was 30 pages long but full of wonderful information. I hope these photos are helpful for other people attempting to do the modifications themselves.

It also goes without saying that this is some very fine precision work, more easily done if you have a magnifying glass setup in your soldering station. I would recommend getting extremely fine solder, I had to make do with fat solder since I only had a 1.3mm spool left. It is unbelievably easy to mess this up, and soldering tiny things tends to get worse and worse the more you try to fix your mistakes. Practice soldering on pcb's from broken electronics before you do this!

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

http://kiloohm.com/m...lue-screen-fix/

Another thread that deals with fixing the hazing problem, this time with a pot.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users