• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Creating Datesim Help needed Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Neinball 

• Über Kommander, Biaaatch!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:32 PM

Hello all, I'd like to ask for some help if I may. I'm creating a Date Sim with AzJen's Brother and whilst we've got some Ideas, we would greatly apreciate some more ideas and even some help!

Next post will be a report on progress and ideas thusfar.

-Azrael

High School Date Sim
General Outline, Worker Notes
Kevin A. Mitchell
22/1/2007

Basic idea: You have 4 years to make your mark on the female population at the high school you have just started attending. Each girl has a specific turn on and turn off, however, you won’t know until you “Infiltrate” the girls group (Did I mention there’s about 15 of the luscious ladies to go after?).

There shall be (at this point) about 5 groups (hereafter called “Cliques”). In each Clique, there’ll 3 girls per group, each representing different degrees of difficulty. Each clique will (as the name suggests) be representing the different social groups that can be found within any given High School.

These cliques’ areas are as follows:
- The Athletics
- The Geeks
- The Fanpeople (i.e.: Otaku)
- The Goth/Emos
- The Socialites

Of course, these groups intermingle from time to time (For example the geeks and the Fanpeople will often be seen in the same areas). However, each group has a hatred of another group. This is as follows:

- The Athletics hate the Geeks
- The Geeks have a hate of the Socialites
- The Socialites hate the Fanpeople
- The Fanpeople hate the Goths
- The Goths hate the Athletics.

Keeping in mind the reverse is also true, with the exception of the Goths and the Fan people, who both despise the Socialites (Everyone hates a Teen Queen, so it would seem)

Each Clique has it’s own unique advantages and disadvantages which can, depending on which girl you aim for, make this easier or harder on you. If she truly loves you she won’t care who you are and where you came from. Fortunately, this is a date sim, which determines your relationship by number crunching from your loveless computer.

The advantages for first year students are as follows:
(Perhaps a bit of help on this section would be advisable. As would going over my notes again)
Athlete Geek Fanboy Emo Socialite
Advantage +15% Physical attributes +15% Intelligence and +5%
Disadvantage -10% Mental attributes

As far as artwork goes, I wonder if I could get someone to help me on that. Joel might, he would be excellent for background art. As far as character art goes, I’m not sure how comfortable I’d be asking him. In fact, I’m none to comfortable asking people to make H-Artwork for this game (Even though it IS a dating sim…Perhaps I might keep it to Ecchi at the moment.)

Anyway, another dynamic I wanted to have was the “Popularity Bar”, which rates your social standing within your Social Clique and the school. Now, I was thinking perhaps we could kinda set it up like the CO Powers in Advance Wars 2: once you reach a certain level for your social clique, you can use it to further your status with the girl(s) of the group, and when your popularity gets high enough on school level, you can do it to win the attention and affections of girls from different cliques. I’m not entirely sure on the details just yet on what would affect what, but it’s still early stages. However, it has been decided that excessive use of the “Popularity Bar” will deny access to the top tier girls.

On that note, I’d also like to point out the inspiration for all this was the episode of Excel Saga with the Date sim where just about every third option was “put it in”. My co-worker on this project thought it was funny as fuck, and as such, we decided to create one ourselves. This one’s being created in Visual Basic, as opposed to the more conventional Flash, although if we can get some help doing it, it would most certainly be a viable option.

Anyway, I’m moving away from the original subject of why I created this document. That’s right, I did neglect a few things. I forgot to point out the stats that shall be used.
The designer and I couldn’t decide between wether to have pre-designated stats depending on which Clique you decided to go with, or points that you could allocate towards your stats. Looking back on it now, I think I should have made it Pre-designated stats…wait a minute…what about basic stats and some points to throw around to individualize your guy? That sounds like a good idea, I think I’ll suggest that next time Chris starts working on it again.

In any case, the stats that we are going to be using are:

-Strength
-Stamina
-Knowledge
-Charm
-Appearance
-Dexterity
-Fitness

There would also be an 8th stat unique to each Clique, to be determined at a later date.

Also, there’s the issue of what music to put in, if we can figure out the specific coding for doing so in visual basic (I’m not really that proficient in coding, no matter what it’s using. Hell, I’m not even comfortable using Front Page). If we, by some chance, do get some music in, perhaps it’d be best if we restricted it to events and such, as I know with some Date Sims, the inclusion of music on loop can get quite irritating when it’s on all the time.

That raises another point. Recently, I had the pleasure of playing the “Pico Date Sim” (Pico being, of course, the mascot for Newgrounds). A lot of the features from that one I’d like to include and maybe expand on. For example the random chance that you wouldn’t get that promotion at work or the relationship up with the girl. I quite enjoyed that. Another thing I quite enjoyed was the inclusion of a battle system from the cronies of your competition. Although as I understand it, this doesn’t really occur that much in the real world (Or perhaps I’ve forgotten my high school days already, I’m not sure) and would therefore seem somewhat unrealistic, I think it would be a nice addition as a mini-game or something. We could especially establish the CO powers in this way.

Now, next on the “to-do” list would be figuring out the girls and what all their individual quirks would be. I would recruit the help of Jen, but it seems that she’s ill-motivated about a lot of things, including this project. I would probably be best suited to ask Digital Complex, or chat to Kelly and/or Deirdre. I’ll probably ask Jamie and Cody for their help on the guy side of things, if not for coding. I would imagine that both of them would have the solution for the question of inserting music into visual basic, if not for the entire project (Hence why I’m writing this up, so I’d be able to distribute this file of what’s happening thus far)

At any rate, any suggestions to either condense or improve the list would be much appreciated, keeping in mind that there’s more to a person than just Strength, Intelligence and Charm, as seem so prevalent in other Date Sims (*cough*SimGirl*cough*).

#2 User is offline   Neinball 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

High School Date Sim
General Outline, Worker Notes (Part II)
Kevin A. Mitchell
25/1/07

Today I’ve been thinking about a character description for the classes, and bonus hidden stats for the player that helps determine how much luck a guy will have with a girl from any given clique (Perhaps something like calling it something like “X-Factor”). However, in true Kevin Mitchell fashion, I’ve been pretty lazy and haven’t really done much thinking on the subject, so if it doesn’t make much sense what you read, that’s because I, for the large part, am ad-libing this next bit and typing what comes into my head, so, in advance, I do apologize if I make little sense. Not to mention I’m not one for proofreading my work, as it may become painfully apparent.

Now said disclaimer has been said and thus my arse has been covered, onwards!

Date Sim: Clique Descriptions

Clique: The Athlete
Description: The Athlete, in all his spandex-clad glory is the commander of physical prowess. Fast, strong, but not particularly smart or academic, the Athlete can often be found in the Jock stereotype, and is more often than not can be seen pummelling the shit out of some poor unfortunate Geek/ Gothmo / Fanboy, or constantly trying to get into the pants of some socialite.
Strongest Attributes: Strength and Fitness
Special Ability: Sports Star – %5 reaction bonus with girls of Cliques not directly against them.

Clique: The Geek
Description: For the sake of expedience, we’ve decided to classify Nerds and Geeks in the same category. Geeks are those who are exceptionally studious and are more often than not the best scorers in the school. If that’s not the case, then they most defiantly have some quirk or specialized interest that sets them apart from the rest of the sheep. Get along quite well with the fanperson cliques, but absolutely hate the Gothmos, as they find them entirely too depressing. Besides, they think that wearing makeup makes a guy look queer, a view shared by the other cliques. They also despise the Socialites who always grind their egos to dust, and the Athletes, who just grind the Geeks to dust.
Strongest Attributes: Knowledge and Dexterity
Special Ability: Nerd’s Revenge – Disables all opposing Special Abilities, adds %5 bonus to Reputation.

Clique: The Fanboy
Description: This is used to describe anyone with an unhealthy Anime habit. Although they may have hobbies outside of Anime, Anime consumes a large part of their life and can be usually found saying things like “Ke-shan! Ke-shan!” and “Dude, she’s totally like Seles!” and other obscure Gundam references. Gets along with Geeks, because geeks often get into Anime whilst keeping their original interests. Doesn’t get along at all with the Athletes and the Socialites, for pretty much the same reasons as the geeks. Doesn’t get along well with the Gothmos due to them thinking that they look like a bunch of fags, what with all the makeup and moping. THE FASHION DIED WITH BRANDON LEE 13 YEARS AGO!! HELLO?!
Strongest Attributes: Knowledge and Stamina (Have you ever been in a 48 hour Animeathon? Do you know how much stamina you have to have to last through one of these things? Exactly, I rest my case)

Clique: The Gothmo
Description: What can be said about this particular brand of depression that hasn’t already been covered by popular culture already? Wearing black, dying their hair black, lips black, black eyeliner and mascara, they are (apparently) Darkness and sorrow reincarnated.
Doesn’t like the Socialites because they are conformists to society’s rules. Doesn’t like the Athletes cause they’re all conformists with all their uniforms. Hates Fanboys cause they’re just plain creepy.
Strongest Attributes: Dexterity (For slitting their own wrists one handed) and Appearance (As much as I hate to admit it, I really envy the Gothmo fashion sense)(Not to mention Gothmo Girls are pretty hot)
Special Ability: Columbine – Sacrifices 2 years of game play to gain 3 years of excellent reputation (Which makes it easer to get into the pants of the upper tier girls of any clique)

Clique: The Socialite
Description: Adored by the majority, hated by everyone else, we have the Socialite Clique, made up of the popular guys and girls who turn their noses up at everyone else. Often rich, anyone that doesn’t match Daddy’s riches is instantly seen as an insignificant peasant. Often throwing wild kegger parties, these guys claw their way to the top of the social ladders, no matter what the cost. Everyone but the Athletes hate the Socialites, and Socialites turn their nose up at every that isn’t a Socialite or an Athlete. Their charm and appearance is stunning, and a good thing too, cause there’s not much else going on upstairs.
Strongest Attributes: Charm and Appearance (And not a whole lot else)
Special Abillity: KEGGER!!! – If Party is successful, reputation bar goes up by 10 percent. If Unsuccessful and busted up by cops, Reputation bar goes down 10 percent.

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

Good start, like I said. The main thing is trying to figure out everything before code is being written, and working out the algorithms for everything too. Great start, nice backstory too.

The thing I'm most worried about is balancing the special abilities. We can work those out after the program has been done, but my guess is that if you just dictate the ability without considering the other mechanics of the other groups, etc. you'll end up with possibly one or more b0rken classes. Similar to the Psychic group of Pokemon in Red and Blue... stat limitations (in the way the stats system worked) and their lack of strong super effective moves against them made them the obvious choice in normal play.

Unless of course, you want this on purpose...having certain classes with varying degrees of difficulty in completing the game.

#4 User is offline   Neinball 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

Well, that's actually a good point, hadn't thought of that.

Perhaps the abilities could affect the different cliques accordingly. Also, what if we made it so that the pre-requisites for reaching higher levels in these cliques would be a lot harder in the more broken cliques?

Another Idea I had would be if we made the entire thing mmorpg like, but that might be harder still.

#5 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:02 PM

I'm gonna move this into Fan Works, I think it's more fitting in there. : >

I wouldn't worry too much about the balancing too much right now, just get the thing off the ground first. Sorta like Magic the Gathering.... look at all the banned cards and errata. Main thing is you have something to testplay with first. :)

#6 User is offline   Neinball 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:21 AM

Is it me being wierd or does the little pad bit underneath a laptop's keys feel like nipples?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users