• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Futaba S3114 - Centering Resistor

#1 User is offline   pedrocamp 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

I have been told that there is a resistor that should be left on or added to the Futaba 3114 steering servo to help with centering. I believe it was mk2kompressor that posted this but I can't locate it. Could someone link or add this info to this thread?
Thanks. Pedro

#2 User is offline   color0 

• GSR Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:38 PM

There's no specific thread with the info as far as I know, but MK2kompressor did say to leave the resistor alone when you open up the Futaba S3114.

I just ordered one to investigate, so let's use this thread to discuss it. ;)

#3 User is offline   mk2kompressor 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

i just checked its not the 3114 i have :oops:
ill get the value of the resistor (and the correct number for my servo)in a while

#4 User is offline   color0 

• GSR Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

Bleh. Well, anyways, since the S3114 is the servo I'm recommending for the MRCG I'll open it up and take some pictures of the wiring layout once I have it all hooked up to the 2.4GHz ASF PCB.

#5 User is offline   hrddrvr 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:06 AM

Im glad you dont have any sort of resistor Matt, cause I couldnt fiun the left over parts from my 3114, lol.

Pedro, I saw that post over on MZR I think, but I guess it null in void now :shock: I would like to report though, that Ive been testing on the MRCG over the last few days, and I havent had any servo issues what so ever. Ive only been running a 70t, so I suppose motor draw could have something to so with it.

#6 User is offline   pedrocamp 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for looking into this. I have to take mine apart and have a look as well. I think I left a resistor hooked up to the motor on my 3114 but I am sure there was no resistor on the pot itself. I did have a problem getting it to initially center, I had to swap the wires a few times to get it to work with the 2.4 board.

#7 User is offline   mk2kompressor 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

its an s3106 and does have a resistor on the middle leg of the pot,so far this is the only servo ive had on 2.4 that 100% centres.
ill take it apart for the values

#8 User is offline   mk2kompressor 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:17 AM

brown ,black,red=100ohm.
connected to any of the 2 outer legs on the pot,just thought id leave it on and see if it was better than the other servo's ive tried with the 2.4 board.
its much more precise than anything else,the only one to come close was the micro-t board but i dont like the way the throttle is on or off :lol:

#9 User is offline   pedrocamp 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:16 AM

So a brown-black-red resistor (1000 ohm I believe) spliced into one of the wires from the board that go to one of the outer terminals of the POT, is this correct?

Thanks for your help!

#10 User is offline   color0 

• GSR Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

Wait up, so the resistor goes on the middle leg or either of the outer legs??? I'll test this once I get my S3114, if it works there is a LONG tutorial to be written up. :)

#11 User is offline   mk2kompressor 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:48 AM

pedrocamp said:

So a brown-black-red resistor (1000 ohm I believe) spliced into one of the wires from the board that go to one of the outer terminals of the POT, is this correct?

Thanks for your help!

thats right,but i think the value of the resistor is too high based on my findings..
i tested mine this weekend,it centred 100% but didnt return quick enough,making the car undrivable :(
we have another meet in a week or so ill get a few smaller value resistors to try(it might of been the servo i have is slow)

#12 User is offline   pedrocamp 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:54 AM

I fit a 1000ohm resistor last night as described and found my 3114 to snap back to center OK on the bench. I will drive the car at the track this Thursday evening and see how it goes. I do have the servo speed turned down on my 3PK to 50-60% so I could speed it up if needed. I revised my ball linkage setup, firmly affixed my servo and also fit a DIY 2.5 caster top bar, I would hope it centers now.

#13 User is offline   mk2kompressor 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:05 AM

it worked with the resistor in place as you say on the bench,it just didnt feel fast enough for me

#14 User is offline   pedrocamp 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

I wonder how the resistor would be helping to center the servo. Do you think the resistor is slowing down the servo? Are you using the 3106? Brian did complain about servo speed as well, which servo is he (Brian?) using? I know he is now testing the 3114. It seems that I had plenty of servo speed with the 3114 the last time I drove the car but the inconsistent centering was driving me nuts.

#15 User is offline   color0 

• GSR Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

Yup, my S3114 is here, just haven't done any testing yet because of midterm exams. :)

From your reports, I suspect that the resistor is helping centering by slowing down the servo speed, but if that's true I won't be too happy... the S3113 was definitely slower than a Mini-Z servo, and that's a turn-off for some drivers, myself included. It alters the voltages that the board sees back from the "pot", perhaps reducing their magnitude, which may be the cause for slower servo speed.

Back to the centering issue, there is an ICS setting on the Mini-Z ASF board that tells the servo controller circuitry to brake the servo motor just before it reaches center, rather than right as it hits center, which is the default setting (and slightly annoying because it makes the S3113 overshoot). I need to try this setting out with the S3114 first, without a resistor, and see if it's satisfactory.

Can't wait till midterms are over. :shock:

#16 User is offline   pedrocamp 

• GSR Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

I ran my car a bit last nite with the previously mentioned mods and it was the best it has ever been. Not sure though if it was just the resistor that made the difference in the centering but other than a little push the car felt good. If I have time I will bypass the resistor and see if that changes the response. Servo speed was good though with the 1000ohm resistor.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users