• You cannot reply to this topic

G&G AR Hapa (custom build)

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:06 PM

Got this receiver set awhile back and was musing about what to put in it, fortunately for me I received a commission for a lower end build that this will seem perfect for.

Posted Image
Here's a photo of the receivers mated up. Both G&G although they came from different models.

Posted Image
Photo of the other side. Unfortunately it has an ASGI logo on it, oh well

Posted Image
Unfortunately forgot to take a bunch of photos throughout the build process. This gearbox is a hybrid of components as follows:

- G&G v2 EBB shell. I know it is more fragile than the standard gearbox shell but I am not too worried. This will be a low power build, along with measures taken to minimize impact stress. M110 spring, shock absorber and plastic cylinder head inside. G&G hop unit has a built in shock transfer system on one side.
- CA 18:1 stock gearset. Should not wear out since this gun will not be skirmished - and if it will be, this should be changed to a lower ratio aftermarket set anyway.
- GMT piston/piston head. Great combo, just need to grind off the 2nd and half of the 3rd tooth for AOE correction, and CA glue in the piston rack. Piston head I will be keeping as is, seems to be working fine.
- CA High Torque motor. Ferrous motor, but enough to pull an M110 on stock gear ratio. Any brand stock 'high torque' motor will work, but I chose CA since it will mesh well with the CA gears. I will be pairing this with 3s lipo so power delivery will not be an issue, it cycles just fine.
- SHS steel bushings. One of G&G's bad points are its brass bushings, they are lower friction than steel but they are also softer and will open up and lead to bad gear mesh.
- Gate NanoAAB 3rd gen. Protect the trigger contacts, and provide active braking for positive gearbox rest state.
- SHS ARL, stock G&G isn't of best quality and SHS appears to have a steel ratchet face.

All other parts are G&G stock parts, mostly out of the ARP9 gearbox.

Posted Image
Testing the shimming

Posted Image
Work done on the piston rack for AOE correction

Posted Image
CA glued into the piston body, will use the bearing on the piston head since the spring guide is a basic one.

Posted Image
Ready for final assembly. Using the G&G Ifrit motor to hold in the ARL

Posted Image
Ready to assemble the forward half. To be continued.

Still deciding on what rail system and barrel to run. 75% port on the cylinder would mean an M4 length 363mm should work out just fine.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:59 PM

Forgot to upload the photos of the chrono. I have delivered the AEG to the client and they are satisfied with the performance.

Posted Image
Right around 1.2J for a standard type of application.

Posted Image
Have not tested in full auto as this will likely never be used in full auto, but there is an acceptable variance to shots, 12.19% shown here but in the past eight shots throwing out the outlying 322.1fps reading it is closer to 1.31% variance.

Seems like G&G components are specc'd similar to SHS/GMT parts, and for that I am grateful. Again it shows that a consistent AEG can be had using budget-friendly parts.

Client knows that this is a low-impact gearbox and I am interested to see how long it lasts. When it blows up I will be putting in a standard G&G gearbox in there.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users