KWA TK.45c

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

Posted Image

I never intended the purchase this one, but the looks were just too good. I am a sucker for long barrel rifles but there is something about the unorthodox setup of having a SBR that is essentially a big SMG. Pistol round mags are a lot more ergnomic to me, and after seeing and handling both the KWA TK.45c and the G&G ARP9 at ePowerSports in Oahu it became clear to me that I will be purchasing one of them. I really liked the ergonomics of the ARP9, especially the magazine feedback (the click as it seats, and the break when the release is pushed), not to mention the color schemes available from the factory was sharp looking and I think something pretty special in terms of customization. However, there is nothing I love more in futuristic guns that the original Titanfall, and that slanted magwell (even if it's in .45cal and not a monster 8.19mm caliber) was what sold it. I had originally gone into airsoft thinking that I'd go only with guns I was a fan of historically but great job to KWA with taking a chance with the overused M4 platform and doing something special with it.

This was also my first high-end airsoft purchase, my first being a $20 spring pistol and second being the secondhand first gen G&G Raider. The feature set of the TK.45c is something I was honestly blown away by. The dust cover release through the charging handle is cool and easy to do when you need to adjust the hopup. The ambidextrous bolt catch was a feature I never realized I needed, as there is no spring tension that automatically locks the bolt catch in place and you are able to hold it up with your trigger finger while racking the charging handle with your other hand. The flip up backup sights and collapsible stock were tight and difficult to open and close when the gun was brand new, but with usage they have loosened enough to be opened and closed comfortably but not wearing to the point of unusability. The K120 midcap stick mags are the only one available right now (no hicap like the G&G ARP9...which is a very nice hicap btw, fat winding wheel) so that's what I have.

This thread will chronicle my projects featuring this gun, I do love how it looks but it is very heavy so my first project was turning it into a rifle rather than SMG.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:53 PM

Posted Image
Flash hider/suppressor(?) has a single 1.5mm grub screw on the bottom, loosen this and it will reveal the -14mm CCW threads. Need to go through the hole on the picatinny section of the RIS to get to it.

Posted Image
This standard size barrel suppressor fits barely, the RIS is very slim

Posted Image
Three screws on the bottom next to the magwell

Posted Image
1.5mm grub screws underneath the fake gas block

Posted Image
Removing the fake gas system to expose the bare outer barrel

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:17 AM

Some updates for the TK.45 project, it is more or less complete minus some

Posted Image
Pulling off the rail to work on it again

Posted Image
Removing stock with the rear wiring in order to get to the gearbox

Posted Image
Motor grip plate removed. I'm not sure if they could have designed it where the magwell screw was treated as a hinge pin but it's a little inconvenient to have to remove four screws insteaad of just two.

Posted Image
Stock motor with its suppression unit attached. I'm guessing it's a kickback diode or something similar. Works well in a stock setting, I might relocate it to my G&G Raider-L as that gun is still stock.

Posted Image
Motor grip removed

Posted Image
Gearbox is out

Posted Image
Removing the false bolt and charging handle mechanism. This is one of the few airsoft guns I've seen with a v2 gearbox where the charging handle is actually integrated onto the gearbox shell and not the upper receiver.

Posted Image
Cracking open the gearbox shells and you can see into KWA's modified v2

Posted Image
Closeup of the front of the trigger area.

Posted Image
I will use the stock piston for now, it is surprisingly simple looking. Flat surfaced aluminum head makes for very easy damping attachment, and not having any of those O-ring expansion holes on the face makes for reliable compression testing at any speed.

Posted Image
Trying these out from Clandestine

Posted Image
Out of focus pic with the sorbo pads glued to the stock piston head. Cleaned with alcohol and scuffed with a knife first for maximum adhesion

Posted Image
Sorbo pad serves two purposes. First, it acts as shock protection when the piston head slams into the cylinder head, which reduces wear and tear especially on stock gearbox shells which may not be made of the most durable material. It also corrects the angle of engagement of the pickup tooth on the piston, which ideally will take place vertically from the sector gear's shaft axis. This minimizes frictional and up/down forces on the piston's rack of teeth and horizontal guides, and allow it to engage with the sector gear in a more efficient way. It's a little hard to see since the tappet plate is in the way, but the trailing edge of the pickup tooth is directly over the sector gear bearing.

Posted Image
Putting in a longer barrel I had laying around. The TK.45c is going from PDW length to SBR

Posted Image
The cuts on this barrel are a little different

Posted Image
Cleaning out the bottom shell

Posted Image
Gate Titan going in

Posted Image
Running the wires along the tracks in the gearbox

Posted Image
Gearbox is back together, and tested working. I needed to use one of the stickers on the KWA selector plate, as the stock plate does not have electrical contacts that the light sensor can read properly. Nylon is too reflective

Posted Image
The final upgrade for this gun is a Rocket Airsoft motor, neodymium magnets and a 16 turn armature. The SHS high torque motor was overkill as this gun, due to its unique gearbox design, will only be running an M120 spring to keep it alive as long as possible. I can put in a speedier motor as the spring is not strong enough to slow it down, and this especially shines in the Titan's 3 round burst functionality.

I might make a video showing it off, but I will put it through another game day first to make sure all the kinks are worked out.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users