• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

triple layer discs? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

A US patent has been filed for the discs that could hold both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray versions of movies.

Currently movie makers and technology companies are dividing into camps that back either one or the other of the two formats.

The creation of the discs could end the looming battle over the different high-definition formats.

Format wars

The design of the disc patented in the US would have three layers. One for a standard DVD version of a film and then one for each of the competing formats.

The innovation is thought to be possible because the rival formats store data on the discs at different depths.

Using reflective films should make it possible to store data for one movie format in one layer but to see through that, if needed, to the deeper layer which has the same movie in the rival format.

The engineers behind the idea reportedly work for the Warner Brothers movie studio.

The idea could end the potential confusion that consumers face as high-definition films in different formats start to go on sale.

Few movie studios are planning to release films in both high-definition formats the majority are backing Blu-ray. Only three are backing HD-DVD.

This week movie studio Universal announced it would not support the Sony-backed Blu-Ray format.

In late September Warner Brothers will release the first movie in both high-definition formats.

For consumers the issue is made more confusing because Microsoft and Sony have backed different formats for their next generation games consoles.

Industry analysts have predicted that the confusion could mean the market for high-definition movies is stunted until one format becomes dominant.

this looks cool! link here: http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/5364238.stm

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

Hmm, that seems interesting... and very sweet. This could also be used to a lesser extent on gaming platforms; just have different formats on different layers. Probably won't work with the current gaming systems though, considering all of them use DVD media (GC uses mini-DVD).

That's pretty smart. They could start doing this now by using this technology for audio CD's with DVD content... put both of them on the same disc. Plus, if they set the autorun to run the DVD and not the CD on a computer, they can copyprotect it too.

#3 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:44 PM

i didn't think of that, the dvd/cd stuff I mean. that's pretty smart.

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:18 AM

I was researching the PS3 and Wii for my Speech project, and while on the PS3 page I noticed the link to the Blu-Ray page. Apparently, single-sided Blu-Ray discs support up to EIGHT layers, totalling 200GB (25GB per layer). That's rediculously crazy, I wonder how much those things are gonna cost...

#5 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

200 gigabytes?! that's bigger than my computer's hard drive XD probably cheaper too XD

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users