Digital.Complex: Creative Zen series - Digital.Complex

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Creative Zen series Zen, Vision:M, Vision:W, Micro, Microphoto, Stone Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:32 AM

Product: Creative Zen
Website: http://www.creative....oducts/mp3/zen/ (note: uses swf)
MSRP: $129.99 for 8gb, range from 2gb ($79.99) to 32gb ($249.99)
Store: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16855102034
Price: $119.99
Description: A small digital media player, supports everything the Zen Vision series do!

• Value: 10/10
    To be fully honest, if I had a chance to preview one before I purchased it, I would be willing to pay up to $200 for something this small and sexy with such a bright screen. The animations are smooth and the sound quality is excellent, what more could you ask for? Oh yes, for it to be in flash and not a micro hdd so it's shockproof. Oh wait, it is.

• Product quality: 10/10
    They have used high quality plastics and electronics in this, no doubt. Commands execute faster than they would in the Vision:M I have (faster processor?), and the whole thing weighs just right...not so light that it feels cheap, but not so heavy that it's hard to fit in your pocket. Also comes with the trademark ultra sexy (but fingerprint/scratch loving) Creative high-gloss finish on the front.

• Functionality: 8/10
    This could have scored higher, but the buttons are all out of order compared to the older Zen series. The transition for me from the Micro to the Vision:M was easy, since most of the buttons were in the same place. This one completely changes the layout...and makes them much smaller. A little hard to press unless you're using a fingernail, especially the OK button (in the center of the dpad). If you miss the buttons, you put a fingerprint on the screen...nyoro~n. Also, the buttons aren't backlit anymore, which can be an inconvenience for people like me who have only had Zens with backlit keys. However, these aren't major setbacks, as I realize smaller keys were needed so they could fit all the keys into the tiny size of the player. Also, it takes a standard mini-USB B unlike the Vision series, which needs some 9000-pin dock...nice.

• Comfort/Ease of Use: 9/10
    It feels really nice to hold, and I still can't get over how tiny it is. I have actually forgotten it was in my pocket when transporting it...however, the small buttons like to evade fingers, and the power/hold switch is narrower than I'm used to.

• Looks/Design: 10/10
    Why do people buy anything else? Smooth on the front, velvety on the back, buttons look like gems and the screen is ultra crisp...

• Documentation: 8/10
    They include a quick start guide and some safety information about loud sounds, and a manual. Pretty thorough, and there's even drivers and software on their website....but not for the actual software you need to connect and transfer stuff. You need to pay for a new cd if you lose your installation cd, and that's kind of annoying...that's why I immediately image all of the Creative cd's I get...

Overall rating: 9.17/10 A-

If it wasn't for the drivers issue and the button layout, it would've been perfect for me. Still, give it a try...you won't regret it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users