• PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

So regarding the no additional upgrades, I lied. lel

Posted Image
Got a box in

Posted Image
It is this wonderful CaseLabs HDD Cage. It supports four 3.5" hard drives mounted through rubber standoffs.

Posted Image
It comes in two pieces with a bunch of screws to put it together, install hard drives, and mount it to the case.

Posted Image
It requires some slight assembly, the only downside is that the screws used to secure the pieces together are bidirectional only, it does not permit 4-way rotation of the cage for maximum customization.

Posted Image
Standoffs are nice and squishy, finish on the aluminum is just as nice as the one on my Corsair C70 case.

Posted Image
Also on a side note I'm finally about to install the Hyperborea fans that I got on Black Friday sale (lol)

Posted Image
C70's dusty drive cages compared to the CaseLabs one

Posted Image
The cage accepted a 120mm fan, a bit tricky to screw in due to the drive cages being almost directly overhead, but it was done. Make sure to prethread your fan with the fan screws.

Posted Image
There's a bit of space between the fan and the bottom of the cage mount so the installation screws don't dig into it.

Posted Image
Mounted a hard drive just to test the system, the rubber is tight enough so where a hdd will not fall out when the cage is upside down. I do not plan on mounting it this way, but it's peace of mind.

Posted Image
Ready to go into the case

Posted Image
Except due to the fact that this is designed to be put into a CaseLabs case, the thumbscrews to mount it were too tall to be used with my bottom intake filter.

Posted Image
Put some washers on some Corsair Hydro screws I had laying around, and I will be using these instead.

Posted Image
Drives installed into the cage

Posted Image
Replacing the Bitfenix fans with the Hyperboreas

Posted Image
Everything back inside the case. I had to reinstall my ghetto DVD drive 2.5" adapter for my 120GB scratch drive. I'm honestly surprised that thing is still going, since it's been over 5 years since I started using it.

I am a little worried at the weight of the drives sagging the bottom of the case, as the C70 wasn't really designed to have that kind of strain put on it. I am still thinking of getting one of those 5.25" bay combo adapters for both 3.5"+2.5" in one, so we'll see. I want to keep the center of gravity in my case low, but I feel like I need more than the two intake fans. I will run this setup for awhile to see how I like it, although I think once I can consolidate my storage I will probably revert back to the Corsair cages.

I'm a bit sad that the CaseLabs cage only supports 120mm fans, I thought the outside holes were for 140mm but they are too small. The cage did come with rubber grommets for the outside, which makes me think that they're just there to hold those grommets as vibration dampening or anti-scratch or something.

Excellent quality product for a great price ($34 or so). Compare this to the $70+ asking price for the 2x5.25" bay 3x3.5" drive hot swap racks, and it's quite the find. I am honestly surprised that more companies do not offer this type of case fan to hdd cage adapter, although I understand that most cases are not designed to bear that kind of weight particularly on the side panels.

Once again, link to this awesome product here: http://amzn.to/2jWF0IY

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users